Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA flight crew (allegedly) suspects Ebola and shuts sick passenger in lavatory

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:48 am
Original Poster

October 17, 2014 | Dane Schiller Houston Chronicle

A University of Texas professor said Friday that she was "disgusted" on an American Airlines flight as the crew, fearing the spread of Ebola, kept a woman who had vomited shut in the plane's bathroom.

Selby was on Flight 2325 Thursday evening from Dallas-Fort Worth to Chicago as she made her way to an academic conference.

"She was making her way to the bathroom and vomited in the aisle," Selby recalled. "The flight attendants, I think, over-reacted completely. It was just crazy."
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Surely they could not have legally kept her in there for landing right?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:40 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
I have never heard of so many people vomiting on a plane as I have since the whole ebola nonsense started. I've logged many tens of thousands of miles and have only rarely been witness to someone getting sick. It's been a rare occurrence in my travel experience.

Apparently it's not so rare - this is at least the third or fourth incident I've read about in the last week or so.

Didn't realize so many people vomit on a plane.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
What the hell is wrong with people.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Let's reference the Spanish Inquisition and the Salem witch Trials for ways in which to determine if people have Ebola or to get them to confess that they have it!!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
Originally Posted by SanFranDan
October 17, 2014 | Dane Schiller Houston Chronicle

A University of Texas professor said Friday that she was "disgusted" on an American Airlines flight as the crew, fearing the spread of Ebola, kept a woman who had vomited shut in the plane's bathroom.

Selby was on Flight 2325 Thursday evening from Dallas-Fort Worth to Chicago as she made her way to an academic conference.

"She was making her way to the bathroom and vomited in the aisle," Selby recalled. "The flight attendants, I think, over-reacted completely. It was just crazy."
Do you have a link to the actual article?
Thanks
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: United, Delta, Alaska, American
I get air sick on 10-15% of my flights. :-( ... Until now, I've only experienced kindness from flight crews and fellow passengers, but I do wonder what could happen "next time". ... Oh well, I'm not scared! I'll fly anyway and hope for the best (and if I'm ever given an opportunity to help out in West Africa, I would actually go).

Last edited by Bagette; Oct 17, 2014 at 2:34 pm Reason: grammar
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Flyiboy
Do you have a link to the actual article?
Thanks
Here's one source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ited-aisle.htm

Classic "she said - she said", but of course other passengers will be able to verify which version of the story is correct. Basically, as I read:

A college professor observer claims an AA FA required the passenger remain in the lav through landing, while they cordoned off the aft aircraft section with seat belt extenders and wrapped her carry-on; medics removed her on a gurney as well as her carry-on.

AA claims the passenger was suspected of food poisoning, had projectile vomiting and insisted on remaining in the lav.

Just can't trust those Texan college professors, right?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Bagette
I get air sick on 10-15% of my flights. :-(
Oh dear! Sorry to hear it. Ever tried nibbling on dry, unsalted, plain crackers? That often works for people, and so does eating tiny bits of raw ginger.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:05 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ing-helps.html please follow this as it moves to the appropriate airline forum.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dll
I suppose it isn't surprising, given the number of people who pick up mild stomach bugs* while traveling (especially overseas). Happened to me once near the end of an international flight; both economy lavs were occupied, and had the FAs not quickly waved me to the J lav, it wouldn't have turned out well.

* or, you know, have a few too many
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by dll
Ever wondered what those little paper bags stowed with the inflight magazines and shopping catalogs was originally for? Kind of an anachronism these days, but I've been on a few flights over the past couple of years where passengers have had to use them for that purpose.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
I was on a WN flight a few years ago when a pax vomited in the aisle and sprayed several pax.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Ever wondered what those little paper bags stowed with the inflight magazines and shopping catalogs was originally for? Kind of an anachronism these days, but I've been on a few flights over the past couple of years where passengers have had to use them for that purpose.
Not sure why they are an anachronism. With free booze on most international flights, it seems like a lot of those little bags get used!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.