Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Using eVIP on DCA-PEK fare. Agent's warning and mileage credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2015, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Alaska Gold, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond

My EXP friend was helping me to apply eVIPs to my DCA-PEK ticket. Both legs has A availability so the agent was able to clear the upgrade right away. However, the agent told him, "FYI, your friend purchased the ticket in a price of $460, it's quite a deal, actually a mistake, and AA is honoring that. If he ever wants to change travel date, it's gonna be very expensive." I was there and the agent's tone sounds really weird. I am concerned if he's gonna put any flag on my account / my friends account / my ticket etc. Anybody else applying eVIP on error fare ticket had similar experience?

Also, after the upgrade my total ticket price because $20, i.e., only Base Fare, all taxes and fees were gone. I'm also pretty worried on that... If the mileage posting of the flight segment went wrong any kind due to the eVIP, I imagine it's gonna be very hard to claim them bad due to the error fare nature?
Old May 16, 2015, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by qinteng
If the mileage posting of the flight segment went wrong any kind due to the eVIP, I imagine it's gonna be very hard to claim them bad due to the error fare nature?
Why? You have the original ticket receipt. AA - unlike UA and DL - awards mileage on flight distance, not ticket purchase price less taxes.
Old May 16, 2015, 3:53 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Nothing to worry about. The miles will post. No flags on any accounts.
Old May 16, 2015, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qinteng
Also, after the upgrade my total ticket price because $20, i.e., only Base Fare, all taxes and fees were gone. I'm also pretty worried on that... If the mileage posting of the flight segment went wrong any kind due to the eVIP, I imagine it's gonna be very hard to claim them bad due to the error fare nature?
This is normal when a ticket is reissued, as for an instrument upgrade. It probably says "exch" somewhere on the new e-ticket receipt, which indicates that the old ticket was exchanged for a new one.
Old May 16, 2015, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Alaska Gold, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
That makes sense. I'm a first time AA eVIP player, so a bit worried, especially when on error fare~

Originally Posted by ijgordon
This is normal when a ticket is reissued, as for an instrument upgrade. It probably says "exch" somewhere on the new e-ticket receipt, which indicates that the old ticket was exchanged for a new one.
Old May 16, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, Hilton Diamond
qinteng, I noticed a similar change in total price after upgrade reissue. Upgrade cleared I believe Just before the checkin window opened. Couldn't checkin online and even at the airport had to see an agent. No problems though, from purchase thru journey (except for a medial emergency that completely changed my plans once there but that's another story). Miles plus bonuses posted promptly.
Old May 16, 2015, 5:06 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by MsSTL
qinteng, I noticed a similar change in total price after upgrade reissue. Upgrade cleared I believe Just before the checkin window opened. Couldn't checkin online and even at the airport had to see an agent. No problems though, from purchase thru journey (except for a medial emergency that completely changed my plans once there but that's another story). Miles plus bonuses posted promptly.
Generally, OLC doesn't work going to China as they need to check your visa.
Old May 16, 2015, 7:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Here's my take: AA has told you they are honoring the mistake fare, and they're attaching a SWU, so no worries. But naturally enough, they've warned changes requiring reticketing will not entail honoring the mistake price.

The USDOT decision last week pretty much says they can do that. And in the future, they may be less willing to honor a mistake fare, because USDOT has told them they don't have to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.