Wiki Posts
Search

AA skimping on snack baskets in longhaul J

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
AA skimping on snack baskets in longhaul J

I love J&M Key Lime Cookies. And the fact that AA stocks them in those J galley snack baskets on longhaul flights. But why only 2 or 3 packages for the whole flight? For a cabin of 52 people on a 777-300ER it's disgraceful. I've written to them and got a canned response about it not being economical to stock more snacks. I guess a single measly basket is all they can afford on those massive 777's??

And it's not just key lime cookies in short supply. Chicago popcorn, belgian wafer cookies, you name it... you can count the number of each on one hand. The supply situation is so bad, I wait right after a meal for them to stock the galley, then buzz away with a hoard of my favorites!
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AwardBee
I love J&M Key Lime Cookies. And the fact that AA stocks them in those J galley snack baskets on longhaul flights. But why only 2 or 3 packages for the whole flight? For a cabin of 52 people on a 777-300ER it's disgraceful. I've written to them and got a canned response about it not being economical to stock more snacks. I guess a single measly basket is all they can afford on those massive 777's??

And it's not just key lime cookies in short supply. Chicago popcorn, belgian wafer cookies, you name it... you can count the number of each on one hand. The supply situation is so bad, I wait right after a meal for them to stock the galley, then buzz away with a hoard of my favorites!
Probably just gradually weening customers off of them as they prepare to remove them all together and align with US, just like the domestic segment.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I wait right after a meal for them to stock the galley, then buzz away with a hoard of my favorites!
Aha! That's why my favorites are all gone when I get up mid-flight . I also note that the snack basket is either (1) empty or (2) containing only snacks I don't like; it seems that AA could add a few more of the most popular items.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Not trying to deny that negative changes has been abound within pmAA since Sept 1st, but could it be possible catering just didn't order enough snacks by mistake?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:35 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Originally Posted by cmd320
Probably just gradually weening customers off of them as they prepare to remove them all together and align with US, just like the domestic segment.
Yep - I would almost bet my last nickel on this.

Seriously, I really do see these being dropped very soon.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:59 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Looks like a similar issue at BA:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...b-kitchen.html

I'm not thrilled about the idea of packing my own snacks when I'm flying in J. As a matter of fact it's really annoying.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:15 am
Original Poster

In all fairness AA has a pretty nice galley set-up in their 777-300ER's. There's a whole spread of fresh foods like fruit cups, cheese cups, pudding cups and sandwiches/wraps. They don't have these on their 777-200's IIRC.

But the dried snack basket has always been a staple on their long-hauls, including the 777-200's for as long as I've been flying AA (ok not that long, about 2 years). And the stocking of those baskets has always been inadequate. I've been trained, like the youngest child at the family table, to hoard them lest I should have to do without :\

Yes, only the yummy ones are in demand. AA should have figured out by now which ones are yucky.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:23 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
In all fairness AA has a pretty nice galley set-up in their 777-300ER's. There's a whole spread of fresh foods like fruit cups, cheese cups, pudding cups and sandwiches/wraps. They don't have these on their 777-200's IIRC.

But the dried snack basket has always been a staple on their long-hauls, including the 777-200's for as long as I've been flying AA (ok not that long, about 2 years). And the stocking of those baskets has always been inadequate. I've been trained, like the youngest child at the family table, to hoard them lest I should have to do without :\

Yes, only the yummy ones are in demand. AA should have figured out by now which ones are yucky.
Sorry, but of all the complaints I have with AA and their internatoinal premium products, poor provisioning of inflight snacks (especially on shorter 77W segments to LHR) has never been one of them!
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sts603
Sorry, but of all the complaints I have with AA and their internatoinal premium products, poor provisioning of inflight snacks (especially on shorter 77W segments to LHR) has never been one of them!
Same here, all I see on the 773 is the continual waste of food that just isn't needed.

It isn't like the meal service in insufficient for any reasonable needs.

I'd happily see the 'snacks' significantly reduced or even eliminated to avoid the waste.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:23 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Same here, all I see on the 773 is the continual waste of food that just isn't needed.

I'd happily see the 'snacks' significantly reduced or even eliminated to avoid the waste.
Eliminating waste should never be the goal of J service. There should be more food than will be consumed so people have options. But the 77W snack provisioning, especially on shorter services and overnight flights, could be cut to save money (and perhaps allocate that money to serving better scotch).
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:37 am
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
I'm happy to hear that the 777-300 galley is being kept well stocked since I've got an LAX-LHR flight coming up soon. Perhaps I won't' have to brown bag it after all
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by sts603
Eliminating waste should never be the goal of J service. There should be more food than will be consumed so people have options. But the 77W snack provisioning, especially on shorter services and overnight flights, could be cut to save money (and perhaps allocate that money to serving better scotch).
Availability of snacks on overnight flights may be more important than the quality of the scotch for non-drinkers.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mark_T

Dried snack baskets are the antithesis of food waste. They're so light and compact and if nobody eats anything they can be kept for the next flight. The fresh food and meals have a very short lifespan and apparently can't be served even a few hours after meal time due to being taken out of refrigeration.

For those who think snacks are unnecessary, just wait till it's the middle of the flight and you're hungry and the FA tells you they have no food or meals avail. And I'm not talking your little pond hops to LHR, how about a real flight like DFW-Asia that's >14 hours.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Sant
Availability of snacks on overnight flights may be more important than the quality of the scotch for non-drinkers.
They didn't even have Dewars White Label JFK-GRU. Bringing my own 50ml Glenmorangie for them to open for me next time.

As for the snack area it seemed about just right - the meal service was quite heavy and there were two trays with about 8 pieces of cheesecakes, tarts, fruit cups, nuts and a snack basket. I was asleep when they took the self service bar apart so no idea how much was consumed.

Last edited by Metanoia; Oct 1, 2014 at 1:53 pm Reason: 50 ml... not cl! + details on the bar
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle

As I understand it, the 777-200s will be refitted with snack bar areas. The current setup allows only for a basket positioned on a catering cart next to the lavatory.

The provisioning of these snack bars should be related to the length of the flight. The snack bar on our JFK-LHR flight about a year ago (see below) was fabulous but made no sense for a 7 hour night flight on which you haven't even digested dinner before you're being fed breakfast. In contrast, the 13.5 hour ORD-PEK flight had just the small basket of snacks. I felt hungry through much of the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.