Wiki Posts
Search

BA Check-in Question: ORD-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Question BA Check-in Question: ORD-LHR

I have a few questions about flying ORD-LHR RT in BA metal.

My info: I am AA PLT, have US Passport, and have US Global Entry. Ticket bought from AA's site. Economy fare World Traveler class. I have both AA and BA PNRs, and I filled-up all my info (Passport Number etc.) in BA's site. I will have only carry-on bags (no checked luggage). Not a member of BA's FF.

1. Onward at ORD T5: Can I use BA self-service kiosk to check-in? Will it recognize my AA PLT card/number?

2. Onward at ORD T5: If I use self-service kiosk (or internet check-in), do I still need to visit a BA check-in desk before security or, at the podium at the gate before boarding the flight to show passport (or anything else)?

3. Onward at ORD T5: If I need to see a BA agent at check-in, am I eligible to go to the Business or First Class line (as AA PLT)?

4. Onward at ORD: Will the boarding pass show "TSA Precheck"? I don't see my Pass Number in BA's passenger information, and I cannot find a link to add it in BA's site.

5. Return from LHR T5: Can I use BA self-service kiosk to check-in? Will it recognize my AA PLT card/number?

6. Return from LHR T5: If I use self-service kiosk (or internet check-in), do I still need to visit a BA check-in desk before security or, at the podium at the gate before boarding the flight to show passport (or anything else)?

7. Return from LHR T5: As many of you know, AA hired a 3rd party security organization named ICTS to hassle the passengers and ask all sorts of personal questions regardless of the elite status or check-in procedure (really, is it just me or why there is no outrage among EXP, PLT, GLD to stop it?). Shall I expect a similar treatment by BA (how about at ORD)?

8. Return from LHR T5: If I need to see a BA agent at check-in, am I eligible to go to the Business or First Class line (as AA PLT)?

Thanks very much for the feedback.

Tintin
Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Tintin

1. Onward at ORD T5: Can I use BA self-service kiosk to check-in? Will it recognize my AA PLT card/number?
If there are kiosks, yes
Why not make life even easier and check in online up to 24 hours in advance

2. Onward at ORD T5: If I use self-service kiosk (or internet check-in), do I still need to visit a BA check-in desk before security or, at the podium at the gate before boarding the flight to show passport (or anything else)?
no

3. Onward at ORD T5: If I need to see a BA agent at check-in, am I eligible to go to the Business or First Class line (as AA PLT)?
If you need to use a BA check in counter, then you are entitled to use the business class desks

5. Return from LHR T5: Can I use BA self-service kiosk to check-in? Will it recognize my AA PLT card/number?
See outbound

6. Return from LHR T5: If I use self-service kiosk (or internet check-in), do I still need to visit a BA check-in desk before security or, at the podium at the gate before boarding the flight to show passport (or anything else)?
no

7. Return from LHR T5: As many of you know, AA hired a 3rd party security organization named ICTS to hassle the passengers and ask all sorts of personal questions regardless of the elite status or check-in procedure (really, is it just me or why there is no outrage among EXP, PLT, GLD to stop it?). Shall I expect a similar treatment by BA (how about at ORD)?
Such insulting comments about staff at Heathrow deserve no response

8. Return from LHR T5: If I need to see a BA agent at check-in, am I eligible to go to the Business or First Class line (as AA PLT)?
It is still business class that you are entitled to use
Old Sep 28, 2014, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Hello Dave,

Thank you very much. This is a great help, indeed. Let me clarify a few points:

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If there are kiosks, yes
Just in case my printer doesn't work in the last moment (it happened) then I need to obtain the boarding pass at the airport!!!

no
According to BA's site:

Travelling from the USA

Even if you have already checked in, you need to go to a check in desk to have your travel documents reviewed before you go through security.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...how-to-checkin

Click the + sign: Airport security checks

If I understand BA correctly, they want me to see an agent to verify my travel documents regardless of my check-in procedure.

Any thought?

Thanks very much, Dave. This is very helpful, indeed.

Tintin

If there are kiosks, yes

no

If you need to use a BA check in counter, then you are entitled to use the business class desks

See outbound

no

It is still business class that you are entitled to use

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 28, 2014 at 9:51 am Reason: redacted dilatory material
Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As this is largely about BA procedures for oneworld (Sapphire) passengers, we'll send this to the BA|EC Forum for informed answers and recommendations.

Dilatory posts regarding other airlines' procedures have been deleted for clarity and keeping on topic to assist the OP.

/Moderator
Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I have always found the contract security staff at LHR (at whom you feel I should be outraged) to be polite and professional.

In my experience, they have treated me the same way I have treated them. Amazing concept.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:58 am

I'm no expert on requirements for US nationals, but I have to do a document check (a UK passport) when I travel to the US with hand baggage only.

At T5 there are dedicated Visa Check checkin desks. It takes a moment, and I don't believe you will get through security without such a check.

If you checkin online and have problems printing your boarding pass then it's trivial to get it printed at a checkin desk. You can use any of the business class checkins. There are often small lines at T5 though, so printing your own BP may well save you a few tedious minutes.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You also get the BA App on your smartphone and use that if you are worried about printer, but a pre-printed boarding pass makes life easy all round, it's my default method, with the App as my fallback. Just do a screen print to Gallery (or equivalent) just in case your signal dies off at the wrong moment. The self service machines are bit finicky and they are my last resort.

The double check on your passport can and is often done at either the BA lounge in ORD or the gate on boarding. The statement shown on ba.com isn't wrong, but over stresses it somewhat, it takes under 10 seconds, and you can sail through security etc without worrying about this. On the return you may need to visit the visa desk before entering T5 security, but because you are returning on presumably one ticket using the same API, this should not happen in your case and I wouldn't expect it to. If it does it means moving to another desk for a minute or two and then going back to security.

You are most unlikely to be asked any questions about your motives etc, especially if you have a US passport. That's the same for all European airlines, it's just the USA ones that do that now. You may, at LHR on the return get a secondary inspection of your bags just before boarding but you would be unlucky if that happened, most people aren't given a secondary, and it's just a quick rummage around.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I recall some pretty intense questioning at LHR T3 AA check in line.
They asked questions that were very similar to those asked at the US immigration desk, but asked a heap more than I have ever encountered.

Once I had been questioned they put a sticker on the back of my passport.
The staff I refer to were uniformed as AA staff, whether they were or agency I have no idea.

I think this may be what the OP is referring to. This was about 2-3 years ago, i have no idea if it is a regular occurrence.

Last edited by missdimeaner; Sep 28, 2014 at 10:10 am Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
As noted on the BA web site you will need to show your passport to BA staff at ORD. They usually make an announcement at the gate to be sure. Showing it to the agent at the lounge also counts. You should have lounge access as AA PLT and it is quite a nice lounge. I am not sure about LHR as I have only transited lately but you will have to show your passport to board. There is a lot of information about LHR T5 on FT, two things to look for are the tunnels between T5 satellites if you like walking and using the T5B lounge if your flight leaves from there as it is much less crowded. If you leave from T5C then the GBP15 credit at Starbucks thread may be of interest.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much, everyone, for very informative and clear instructions. My trip is coming-up in about 2 weeks. I will post in this BA|EC forum if I have any additional question. Looking forward to fly in BA metal.

Tintin
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by missdimeaner
They asked questions that were very similar to those asked at the US immigration desk, but asked a heap more than I have ever encountered.

The staff I refer to were uniformed as AA staff, whether they were or agency I have no idea.

I think this may be what the OP is referring to. This was about 2-3 years ago, i have no idea if it is a regular occurrence.
I have has several of these interactions in the last year or so and none of them have been anything but pleasant. It's a simple.few questions and off you go.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by missdimeaner

It's a regular occurence on US airlines only (it isn't just an AA thing). Can also happen at the gate.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:12 pm

Re point 4, you won't get PreCheck on a non-US carrier.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chucko
Re point 4, you won't get PreCheck on a non-US carrier.
Other than AC.

Doesn't help the OP flying on BA, but the exclusion of international carriers is no longer absolute.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.

Are you one of such staff? You must be to take such desperate offense at such a reasonable comment. A goodly number, not all, really are jobsworths for whom such questioning is a waste of time......unless you are a Daily Mail reader sitting in the 'burbs worrying about the demise of this great country, but for the great and the good of Government.

Sheez, no wonder FT gets a bad rap sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.