Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Harassed by EXP Desk for Calling on Behalf of Family

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by dickinson
This thread belongs in the DYKWIA Hall of Shame.
+1. To me the point is not that the OP made the calls. Reasonable minds can differ as to whether it is appropriate to call the EXP line under similar circumstances. The point is that after both agents DID help the OP by confirming the future sister-in-law on new flights, the second agent declined to take additional steps on behalf of the non-status traveler because hundreds of actual EXPs with major travel disruptions were waiting on the line to be helped. OP's takeaway is that he was "harassed." And to that all I can say is
Old Sep 27, 2014, 12:18 pm
44C

Programs: AA EXP (OW EME), Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Seems more like the OP was harassing the EP desk with calls on behalf of a non-EP during a period when AA -- and other airlines -- were being flooded with calls related to rebooking passengers impacted by the ORD shutdown. The whole point of an exclusive access phone line is to assist AA's best customers who are in need of immediate assistance. OP certainly was the abuser in this case and has no sympathy here.
Agree 100%.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
You can't. *67 your heart out - it still knows. (800 numbers have the right to access the info on the calls THAY pay for...
Indeed. Some debt collectors, counting on lack of awareness about that capability, use that info to ratchet up pressure on debt collection targets. But this doesn't necessarily mean that every call to a toll-free number results in the originating caller's caller ID info coming over -- it certainly doesn't always make it over.

Sometimes calls to the EXP toll-free number don't end up landing on the phone of an EXP agent. I'm not sure why that is but I am sure that some of it has to do with caller ID info not making it over.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 12:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Look, it is all common sense and perception. There is no published AA rule which says that you must wait in the line at the ticket counter. The published rule says that, as a Platinum, I can use the First Class check-in counter at many locations. So, I guess some people here would be okay if I just go to the counter, without waiting in the line. After all, I am not violating any published rule.

Here is the bottom line. Many people here think that the OP was wrong to be offended under the circumstances presented. Others disagree. My opinion (that OP was wrong) has been reinforced by OP's strident (IMO) defense of his conduct.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Whether or not the OP is justified in his grievance is definitely debatable but what's amusing me is the number of posters playing the 'holier than thou' card about never using the EXP desk for anyone/anything but themselves and their own personal travel.

If you're lucky enough never to have had a loved one encounter a cluster **** of a situation in the middle of a trip (that you weren't on) then, ok, fair enough....I may believe that you've never used the EXP desk for anyone else. But don't ask us to believe that an EXP who gets all call from a partner/spouse/family member, in the middle of getting stranded, will think "hang on, I'd better not call the EXP desk, let me just try to see if the regular desk can help with this....I don't want to take up the EXP desk's time". Give me a break.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
My original response was going to recommend taking into account how busy the desk is before calling for a family member...but then I remembered... as EXP's we cannot reach anyone BUT the EXP desk... if you call the general number from your house it automatically rolls you to that desk (or CK if you are at that level). OP is allowed to call for a friend / family member in distress, and it's the airline's systems that "force" him to speak with an EXP agent. What's he supposed to do, get that agent and ask to be transferred to regular customer service?

I do think the agent was within her rights to say she got the issue taken care of and that he can get the seats online... I'm sure she was looking at a board on the wall that showed many EXP's on hold waiting.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, US CP
Originally Posted by Stripy
Whether or not the OP is justified in his grievance is definitely debatable but what's amusing me is the number of posters playing the 'holier than thou' card about never using the EXP desk for anyone/anything but themselves and their own personal travel.

If you're lucky enough never to have had a loved one encounter a cluster **** of a situation in the middle of a trip (that you weren't on) then, ok, fair enough....I may believe that you've never used the EXP desk for anyone else. But don't ask us to believe that an EXP who gets all call from a partner/spouse/family member, in the middle of getting stranded, will think "hang on, I'd better not call the EXP desk, let me just try to see if the regular desk can help with this....I don't want to take up the EXP desk's time". Give me a break.
Exactly, OP's outrage is a bit much, especially since the agent did actually get the most important part of the flight change done. That said, a lot of people on here are behaving as though its such a terrible crime to call the EXP line when you aren't on the reservation/the reservation isn't made with your miles. As an EXP, the line I call for any reservation issues I need to handle for myself or my family is the EXP line. I'm not going out of my way to avoid using it, especially since I find it incredibly hard to believe it really adds too much to the wait time. It would be different if I were a travel agent (or more likely in this day and age, someone who advises others on booking mileage reservations for a fee) using the EXP line for all of my clients, but since I only use it for others every so often I don't really think its a big deal (even if every EXP used the line as often as I do or even OP does for others).
Old Sep 27, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT

I'm surprised that so many people have helpless partners/spouses/family members that can't take care of themselves.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
I'm surprised that so many people have helpless partners/spouses/family members that can't take care of themselves.
People traveling and hit by IRROPS aren't necessarily as well connected as people at home or at their usual office.

After a few dropped mobile phone calls, some people learn it helps to get help from someone with a landline or not on the move at the same time.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'll add to the list of surprises by being surprised that you don't know (don't remember?) how hard it can be for a non-status person to get anywhere with GA's, CS etc... when things are going wrong. Just getting to talk to someone who can/will actually do something can be a challenge.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond

I too have been amused by the holier-than-thous. In my view, they would absolutely use the power of the EXP line if a loved one's trip hit a pothole. I probably call the UA 1K line a couple times a year to help friends, and the agents have always been happy to help me help them.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I'll add to the list of surprises by being surprised that you don't know (don't remember?) how hard it can be for a non-status person to get anywhere with GA's, CS etc... when things are going wrong. Just getting to talk to someone who can/will actually do something can be a challenge.
It's what most people that are flying deal with; most are not elite.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
People traveling and hit by IRROPS aren't necessarily as well connected as people at home or at their usual office.

After a few dropped mobile phone calls, some people learn it helps to get help from someone with a landline or not on the move at the same time.
Most people I know have only a mobile phone and manage just fine.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, US CP
Could they do it themselves? Sure. Could I do it in way less time and ensure the result closest to what they want (even w/o calling the EXP line)? Yes. Most of my family members don't travel nearly as often as I do. They don't have hubs memorized and/or can't think of about 10 alternative routings when things go IRROPs the way I can. Everyone on this board knows that it's way better to go in with alternative routings in mind instead of just taking whatever the airline gives you. If I have time, I'm going try to help family members deal with travel issues even when they are flying on airlines I don't have status with just because I'm a lot better at it than they are. When I call airlines I do have status with, however, I'm going to call/be redirected to the elite desk and that's what I'm going to use to sort their travel issues out.

My mom has helped me with a lot of stuff over the years, this is probably close to the very least I can do.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Bonehead
I too have been amused by the holier-than-thous. In my view, they would absolutely use the power of the EXP line if a loved one's trip hit a pothole. I probably call the UA 1K line a couple times a year to help friends, and the agents have always been happy to help me help them.
Friends and family of elites are not elite unless they have earned it themselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.