Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

77W, 772 & CIP 763 to NGBC changes, no F / no flat bed J - what to do? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

77W, 772 & CIP 763 to NGBC changes, no F / no flat bed J - what to do? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 5:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus

Please use this thread to discuss how to handle situations where a 777-300ER / 77W or a 777-200ER with flat bed business seats / 77D is swapped for a 777-200ER with the older configuration and no flat business seats.

~Moderator

Last edited by Microwave; Mar 7, 2016 at 10:47 am
Old Sep 21, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
77W / 77D to 777 / 772 changes - what to do? (Consolidated)

Not sure when this change from the 77W to the 777 happened but departure from LHR is also pushed back 1 hour.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by pssteve
Not sure when this change from the 77W to the 777 happened but departure from LHR is also pushed back 1 hour.
Did you look at the seat map for the flight? The first re-configured 772 is on its way back to the States. So, there might be 2 or 3 more in the fleet by then. And this route would probably be one of the first to get one. We already know that DFW-SCL will have it soon.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:15 pm

Seat map is showing F 16 and J 37 in a 2-3-2 layout so appears unrefurbed.But maybe there will be another change.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:32 pm

Upon further reflection I think Fanjet will turn out to be correct (the refurbed 777 with no F cabin). We had already upgraded from Econ to J and were in row 8 on the 77W. In our revised tickets we have been moved to row 3 which if it is the old 777 would mean F and we would achieve the elusive double UG using a SWU which of course is as common as a unicorn siting.
Just wish AA would post the new seat map at the same time as the seat changes.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
It looks like both of the 77W DFW-LHR flights will be 772 flights in December. I wonder where those 2 77Ws will be sent.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Advanatge
Originally Posted by Fanjet
It looks like both of the 77W DFW-LHR flights will be 772 flights in December. I wonder where those 2 77Ws will be sent.
Might be confirmation of much speculation by those of us with extensive experience on routes to Asia or possibly more LHR routes but from LAX, ORD or JFK.

MY GUESS: 77w will only be used to 3-4 cities: LHR, HKG, PVG and GRU. But it's possible that other New destinations to be added to the AA system that are being added that have no been announced that they have planned for them.

Cheers,
AA777
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
This seems odd, as the DFW flights have been some of the hardest ones to score F on for the 77W (LAX is hardest from what I can see) and the ones which seem to pack the J cabin the most even with 52 seats. Even if most everyone on DFW TATL F is using SWUs, that's still 60 biz seats which are mostly being sold at peak times. Going to the 772s would seem to represent a dramatic reduction in capacity for premium cabins.

I would frankly be stunned to see ORD switch to 77Ws over DFW. I'm not sure ORD would actually sell any more F seats on these planes than Dallas does. I could see MIA-LHR going to two 77Ws before those planes show up in ORD.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Probably will be used on MIA-GRU. The plan is to have all MIA-GRU be on the 77W.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
This seems odd, as the DFW flights have been some of the hardest ones to score F on for the 77W (LAX is hardest from what I can see) and the ones which seem to pack the J cabin the most even with 52 seats. Even if most everyone on DFW TATL F is using SWUs, that's still 60 biz seats which are mostly being sold at peak times. Going to the 772s would seem to represent a dramatic reduction in capacity for premium cabins.

I would frankly be stunned to see ORD switch to 77Ws over DFW. I'm not sure ORD would actually sell any more F seats on these planes than Dallas does. I could see MIA-LHR going to two 77Ws before those planes show up in ORD.
You would be surprised. I fly the ORD - LHR quite frequently and there is always quite bit of paid first and business class. I know the seat map isn't the best gauge of load factors, but when booking far out there is always a chunk of both cabins taken. When I check expert flyer closer to my flight the MIA-LHR is usually always C7 and the ORD - LHR routes C0.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Korean media here quoted the local AA manager saying that AA is going to be improving the aircraft on the ICN-DFW route (and add another ICN-States route). Maybe the 77W?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA, AMEX PLAT
Not hard to improve on a 2x3x2 non-flat seat...seriously, who would pay to fly business in that seat for that long of a flight??

If they had a decent product, I would fly that from NYC - Seoul instead of OZ/KE.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by relangford
Korean media here quoted the local AA manager saying that AA is going to be improving the aircraft on the ICN-DFW route (and add another ICN-States route). Maybe the 77W?
I could see the refurbished 772 making the ICN run, especially with AA going against KE on DFW and potentially another route. 77W seems unlikely, imo.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by packattack12
Not hard to improve on a 2x3x2 non-flat seat...seriously, who would pay to fly business in that seat for that long of a flight??
Nobody with any brains would ever pay to fly business in a slanted seat. I have it on good authority that AA has never sold a business class fare for any of its NGBC seats.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by relangford
She actually said that once enough 772s had been reconfigured, AA would schedule the 77W to ICN in place of the current 772.

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I could see the refurbished 772 making the ICN run, especially with AA going against KE on DFW and potentially another route. 77W seems unlikely, imo.
Maybe you're right, but the AA management employee in Korea said 77W.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.