Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Los Cabos SJD local authority policy: AA relief flights for US customers only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Los Cabos SJD local authority policy: AA relief flights for US customers only

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage (since 1987) PLAT. USAir Dividend, AF Flying Blue.
Los Cabos policy : AA abandons foreign customers !

As an EU national and AA fan and FF, and flying AA very often to Latin America, I'm just horrified !

"TRAVEL ALERTS" "Information is current as of September 18, 2014"
American Airlines and US Airways are operating flights, today, Thursday, Sept. 18, from Los Cabos International Airport (SJD) to help bring our customers home who are still in Cabo as a result of Hurricane Odile.

At this time, only U.S. citizens and permanent residents will be allowed on the flights back to the United States. The U.S. Consulate will be at SJD airport to verify documents. Local authorities will direct others to either military or local air carriers.

It seems, the area is badly dammaged, and power and water are off.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 19, 2014 at 8:18 am Reason: retitle thread for accuracy
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Based on the consulate being involved, I suspect this is US Govt and not AAs decision.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
It's not AA's choice. It's a humanitarian flight that is likely being largely (probably entirely) funded by the U.S. government for U.S. citizens.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by mikelat
Based on the consulate being involved, I suspect this is US Govt and not AAs decision.
I agree. The US government isn't checking documents for these flights because of an AA decision to exclude people.
The subject line of this thread is NOT accurate
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why doesn't OP change the thread title to "EU / French government abandons its nationals at Cabo"

Why skip the opportunity to bash AA for something which has little/nothing to do with AA.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by MAH4546
It's not AA's choice. It's a humanitarian flight that is likely being largely (probably entirely) funded by the U.S. government for U.S. citizens.
AA can't really have it both ways: either these are flights provided by the US Government for US citizens, or they're flights provided by AA for their customers. They seem to want credit for rescuing their customers, so it seems reasonable to point out that they're not taking care of some chunk of them.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jordyn
AA can't really have it both ways: either these are flights provided by the US Government for US citizens, or they're flights provided by AA for their customers. They seem to want credit for rescuing their customers, so it seems reasonable to point out that they're not taking care of some chunk of them.
I don't see how they are mutually exclusive. Also I don't think we know the exact financial arrangements or why they are only allowed to carry US Citizens/ permanent residents. It is also unclear that if this includes Americans in general or just Americans with AA tickets.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by neo_781
I don't see how they are mutually exclusive. Also I don't think we know the exact financial arrangements or why they are only allowed to carry US Citizens/ permanent residents. It is also unclear that if this includes Americans in general or just Americans with AA tickets.
I'm not arguing that the concepts are mutually exclusive, but my point is that it's totally reasonable for people to say that AA is abandoning its foreign customers if AA is making a big deal about how they're flying in to save their customers but then specifically excluding some of them from this salvation. "But not all of them" seems like a totally legitimate response and, like you say, there's nothing to support the assumption that everyone else has leapt to that the US government is bearing all of the cost.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:56 pm

I'm not arguing that the concepts are mutually exclusive, but my point is that it's totally reasonable for people to say that AA is abandoning its foreign customers if AA is making a big deal about how they're flying in to save their customers but then specifically excluding some of them from this salvation. "But not all of them" seems like a totally legitimate response and, like you say, there's nothing to support the assumption that everyone else has leapt to that the US government is bearing all of the cost.
+1
I believe i would be totally acceptable if they said something: "AA is operating a rescue flight for the US government. Only US citizens....."

Now it really leaves a bad taste for non US customers of AA.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
My guess is that the US gov is authorizing some by-pass of normal protocol for security/screening/docs check for US citizens only. There's no logical reason for AA/US to only carry certain passengers unless that's the only option. I don't believe the US govt has anything to do with the operation of these flights for humanitarian reasons.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Just one more thread with a hyperbolic title to try to trick people into reading it.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Just one more thread with a hyperbolic title to try to trick people into reading it.
How would you retitle it? Seems totally correct as far as I can tell.

(Also, in what way do you think OP benefits by tricking you? It's not like they get a cut of FlyerTalk's advertising revenue.)
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
deleted
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
there's nothing to support the assumption that everyone else has leapt to that the US government is bearing all of the cost.
The complete paragraph on http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...avelAlerts.jsp is

At this time, only U.S. citizens and permanent residents will be allowed on the flights back to the United States. The U.S. Consulate will be at SJD airport to verify documents. Local authorities will direct others to either military or local air carriers. It is up to local authorities to determine who will be allowed on the flights. As a result, no reservations can be made on these relief flights.
[Emphasis added]

So I think that supports the assumption that it was not really AA's choice to determine who boards the planes.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
There is a cure for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.