Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ways of getting out of a non-refundable ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Ways of getting out of a non-refundable ticket?

Hi,

Bought a $1500 non-refundable flight to Europe due to leave on Sunday.

Now I may not be able to go due to a family illness. Nothing serious, just sick kids, but I prefer not to go.

So what are my options. I see that on AA.com there is a "cancel itinary" button. What happens if I click it? Do I get the fare back less some cancellation fee? Or something else?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:44 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by inpd
Hi,

Bought a $1500 non-refundable flight to Europe due to leave on Sunday.

Now I may not be able to go due to a family illness. Nothing serious, just sick kids, but I prefer not to go.

So what are my options. I see that on AA.com there is a "cancel itinary" button. What happens then? Do I get the fare back less some cancellation fee? Or something else?

Thanks in advance.
Unless a doctor writes a " you cannot travel because you are under treatment " letter you do not have many choices.

Lastresort is to call up, plead with a supervisor .Most you will get is a credit to be used within a year.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
"Non-refundable" means you won't get a refund except for very limited circumstances such as: death of passenger, schedule change, travel waiver (e.g. war, weather, strike, ...).

However, if you book another ticket, AA will essentially give you "store credit" for what you paid, less the change fee (generally around $300 to Europe). Travel on the new ticket needs to be within a year of the date the original ticket was purchased.

If there aren't circumstances justifying a refund, and if you don't book another ticket, then you'll get nothing - really no way around that.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jridge
"Non-refundable" means you won't get a refund except for very limited circumstances such as: death of passenger, schedule change, travel waiver (e.g. war, weather, strike, ...).

However, if you book another ticket, AA will essentially give you "store credit" for what you paid, less the change fee (generally around $300 to Europe). Travel on the new ticket needs to be within a year of the date the original ticket was purchased.

If there aren't circumstances justifying a refund, and if you don't book another ticket, then you'll get nothing - really no way around that.
Thanks. So do I cancel the ticket using itinerary cancel and then I get back $1500 less $300 as an e voucher?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Thanks. So do I cancel the ticket using itinerary cancel and then I get back $1500 less $300 as an e voucher?
Generally, you keep track of the ticket number and apply it (less then the fee) to the purchase of a new ticket. This ticket must be purchased within 1 year of your original purhase date. The remaining value will be sent to you in a voucher.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Yes, you do almost certainly do need to cancel before travel. (Many non-refundable tickets now provide that if you don't cancel, you lose 100% of the ticket.)
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:25 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
There is the possibility that your flight gets cancelled, in which case you would get 100% back; so you can wait to cancel your reservation until close to BUT before flight time.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
No, your ticket remains live and when you are ready to rebook another flight, you call in & they will apply the value to that ticket.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Hope for a schedule change or cancellation or, last resort, call day of prior to and cancel and take the change fee hit when re-booking.

On UA, when canceling before flight, the ticket's value is available for one year from *ticketing* date so, if AA is the same (think it is) be sure to notate the ticketing date, which could be long in the past. For example, if you booked the flight six months ago and cancelled today, you'd retain the value of the ticket for six more months. After that, poof. Someone else has already mentioned that but I wanted to emphasize it because it's easy to forget things one has done in the distant past. The airline computer doesn't forget

The value retained will apply to any ticket, anywhere, of course after the change fee is collected.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by camachinist
Hope for a schedule change or cancellation or, last resort, call day of prior to and cancel and take the change fee hit when re-booking.
I would say a schedule change two days out is pretty unlikely.

OP, just make sure you keep track of the TICKET NUMBER (not the record locater) if you cancel - that's what they need to look you up when it comes time to re-book.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zach1213

OP, just make sure you keep track of the TICKET NUMBER (not the record locater) if you cancel - that's what they need to look you up when it comes time to re-book.
Great. Thanks you guys are great.

I'm going to wait to the final minute. If my flight is at 6am, there should be no problem canceling it at 5:30am right? There is no minimum time before cancellation.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I'm going to wait to the final minute. If my flight is at 6am, there should be no problem canceling it at 5:30am right? There is no minimum time before cancellation.
If you're calling in to cancel, be aware that there could possibly be a long hold time. I'd give yourself more time than that.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Zach1213

FYI, if you happen to lose the ticket number, it should appear on your credit card statement or you can find it on the e-mail confirmation.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
If you're calling in to cancel, be aware that there could possibly be a long hold time. I'd give yourself more time than that.
No need - can cancel at aa.com with one-click.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:43 am

IIRC AA by phone told me that it must be from the same origin city but can be for a different destination city. (And for the same pax)
Does that seems right ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.