Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade offer [from AA for JFK-LHR - what would YOU pay?]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, SPG, Marriott

How much would you pay to upgrade to biz? Just got offer to upgrade JFK-LHR on new 777 $491.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum. We've also updated the title for member convenience (per the Rules).

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled PLEASE READ ME BEFORE POSTING! Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum!. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
It's all up to you. But that seems in line with other upgrade offers for LFBU.

Me, I'd likely pay it to ensure J on a 77W LAX-LHR. Much better seat. For JFK-LHR I'd be OK in MCE on a 77W even though I'd not really like it.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I'd pay that 100 times out of 100.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
I'd pay that 100 times out of 100.
Agreed - I'd pay that on every flight.

Consider the other ways to upgrade if you have no more SWUs, like $350 plus 25k miles, which totals a conservative range of $600 to $850. $491 is a bargain.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Agreed - I'd pay that on every flight.

Consider the other ways to upgrade if you have no more SWUs, like $350 plus 25k miles, which totals a conservative range of $600 to $850. $491 is a bargain.
100% agree--- I was just going to post that the cost of the $350 co-pay +25,000 miles versus $491, makes the $491 upgrade offer a really good deal.

I wouldn't hesitate to go for the upgrade for $491, especially if you don't have status--- the better food, better seat, much earlier boarding, priority check-in, and increased baggage allowance would be well worth the $491 for me, even if it's just JFK-LHR. [versus longer AA metal flights to/from LHR]

BTW- Since I've not had an LFBU before, does an LFBU book into a Business [or domestic First Class on domestic flights] fare bucket-- or just an economy fare bucket? If it does book into a Business Fare bucket, the extra COS bonus miles would be additional incentive for buying the LFBU.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Upgraded - I had to call to uncheck-in and then check in and book the upgrade. Interestingly, the new price was $401. My only concern was getting a window seat - as I don't get much sleep in the middle seats. 13J
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by unvested
Upgraded - I had to call to uncheck-in and then check in and book the upgrade. Interestingly, the new price was $401. My only concern was getting a window seat - as I don't get much sleep in the middle seats. 13J
There are no middle seats in J on the 77W - every seat is in a mini-suite / pod with a full flat bed and aisle access.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:28 pm

As JDiver said, there are no middle seats, and all seats have aisle access. You either have a window seat, or an aisle seat across from a window seat.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:56 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
I paid that x2 for 2 people JFK-CDG. Fair deal I think.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:27 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by Max M
BTW- Since I've not had an LFBU before, does an LFBU book into a Business [or domestic First Class on domestic flights] fare bucket-- or just an economy fare bucket? If it does book into a Business Fare bucket, the extra COS bonus miles would be additional incentive for buying the LFBU.
I believe it books into C, in fact I think you will get an LFBU when there is open C at check in, a bit more common of an occurrence in dead-of-summer mid-week TATL flights, esp. out of JFK.

400 bucks is a steal for the product. That said, I flew the route Tuesday evening and the plane was about half full in J from what I could see, even had one open seat in F. Easy night for the FAs.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
How much would you pay to upgrade to biz? Just got offer to upgrade JFK-LHR on new 777 $491.
Just wondering, how do the offer come to you, I have never recieved any type of offer like that... thanks
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:15 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I like window seats, but the window seats on 77W only let you see the clouds--you can't observe the ground (and pick out landmarks). For JFK to LHR, except for the day flight, you don't see too much of the ground though.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
$400 is an amazing deal. An eVIP is the equivalent of about $2500 (if you had gotten full use out of the eVIP, such as using it on a connecting itinerary like EZE-MIA-DFW-HKG).
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:07 am
Original Poster

To clarify, I should have stated middle row rather than middle seat - I know the new config dies not have any middle seats. I find that I'm more likely to get a few hours of sleep when I'm near a window.

I believe this was a load factor offer generated by the system. It's the first time I've gotten this offer. The fare class was O and I'm platinum (striving for exec 😊)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.