Wiki Posts
Search

Setting up multiple AAdvantage accounts

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Setting up multiple AAdvantage accounts

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if there is anything in place at AA to stop you from setting up multiple AAdvantage accounts - with the view of getting past their 80,000 miles in one calendar year ceiling (for buying miles)?

I am Irish originally but I have recently become and Australian citizen. I have set up two accounts - one with my Irish address and one with my Australian address. I have not bought any points with them yet however.

I obviously know that it is frowned upon but just wondering if it is actively monitored by AA. If I ended up buying lets say 80,000 on each account, is there a possibility I could lose the miles?

Cheers
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
It's a violation of T&Cs to have more than one account. And if you try to use different addresses that would be fraud. Accounts can be shut down and miles confiscated. However, there'd be nothing stopping you from opening an AA account and a separate US account. Then next year they'd be merged, but for this year would could legitimately max out the miles purchase for each one.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:46 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Keep in mind that you have posted on a public forum, that might be monitored by AA. Do you have a US address? If so you might try to get a couple of mileage earning credit cards, that might be cheaper than buying the miles.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
AA seems to have the most proactive revenue proctection units of all the US carriers.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled PLEASE READ ME BEFORE POSTING! Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum!. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:19 am
Suspended

It is -not- a violation of AAdv T&C to have multiple AAdv accounts

However, if it is being done to circumvent any rules, restrictions (and this would technically count as that, probably) -that- is a violation.

But, again, categorically NOT a violation to have more than 1 AAvantage account.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by JonNYC
It is -not- a violation of AAdv T&C to have multiple AAdv accounts

However, if it is being done to circumvent any rules, restrictions (and this would technically count as that, probably) -that- is a violation.

But, again, categorically NOT a violation to have more than 1 AAvantage account.
And although this might be a technical violation, I wonder if AA really would care -- and of course you might know better than I -- if one sets up multiple accounts in order to purchase more than 80,000 miles/year. I imagine AA makes a good margin on the sale of miles, and one still could not combine the purchased miles into a single account in order to redeem them for more expensive awards. Seems to me that AA might put this in the no-harm-no-foul category. (That said, you won't see me taking that chance. Then again, you won't see me buying miles, either.)
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Blumie
And although this might be a technical violation, I wonder if AA really would care -- and of course you might know better than I -- if one sets up multiple accounts in order to purchase more than 80,000 miles/year. I imagine AA makes a good margin on the sale of miles, and one still could not combine the purchased miles into a single account in order to redeem them for more expensive awards. Seems to me that AA might put this in the no-harm-no-foul category. (That said, you won't see me taking that chance. Then again, you won't see me buying miles, either.)
Well, it's a very fair point, but to play it safe, I'll just say it's 100% OK to set up a second AAdv account as long as it's not in an attempt to circumvent any T&C, etc.

So, in this case, I'm not sure I would advise it. Would it likely cause an issue? I'm with you on that, but also a chance probably not worth taking, IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.