Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Eagle ERJ-145 / ER4 Seating Advice / Best Seats (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Eagle ERJ-145 / ER4 Seating Advice / Best Seats (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
“This type is used on short-haul domestic segments and many passengers enjoy the 1-2 layout for comfort and personal space. Onboard storage is limited as there is only overhead storage on the right hand side. Standard rollaboard suitcases will not fit in these compartments and may need to be checked at the aircraft door. From time to time, passengers may be moved for weight and balance considerations. There is also limited under seat storage at all window seats due to the curvature of the fuselage.” — SeatGuru link

SeatGuru claims seats are 17” wide, MC offers 33” pitch and MCE 33”.

Embraer ERJ-145 / ER4 seat chart
Attached Images   

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 19, 2020 at 6:56 pm
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Question AA Flt 145 ANC-DFW July 15th (to merge)

Wondering what went wrong with my flight last night (07/15/17). It was delayed getting in (could have been late start from weather at DFW) and when it arrived Maint. was called, then they said the problem was fixed and to start boarding. They then stopped boarding after only a few people pre boarded. We waited around for probably 1.5hrs, then they said the plane was delayed until 4pm July 16th the following day. There was also an unrelated aircraft swap prior to coming up to ANC from a 24F seat to the old 22F seat count which required some seat shuffling, so details on that would be cool too. I go up to AK every summer and it's one of the few routes I'm guaranteed a 757, which I like to fly on. I looked at Flightaware and it only showed one departure today ANC-DFW. Can anyone give details on the mechanical issue?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EP
No one would know what the specific me hancubalmisue was. But also might be some crew rest restrictions coming into play here.

Originally Posted by tikchik
Wondering what went wrong with my flight last night (07/15/17). It was delayed getting in (could have been late start from weather at DFW) and when it arrived Maint. was called, then they said the problem was fixed and to start boarding. They then stopped boarding after only a few people pre boarded. We waited around for probably 1.5hrs, then they said the plane was delayed until 4pm July 16th the following day. There was also an unrelated aircraft swap prior to coming up to ANC from a 24F seat to the old 22F seat count which required some seat shuffling, so details on that would be cool too. I go up to AK every summer and it's one of the few routes I'm guaranteed a 757, which I like to fly on. I looked at Flightaware and it only showed one departure today ANC-DFW. Can anyone give details on the mechanical issue?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
No one would know what the specific me hancubalmisue was.
Seems like a safe bet.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
And welcome to FT -- your first post after 8 years!

Sometimes looking in ExpertFlyer, you can see some information regarding the delay such as whether it is a crew problem causing the delay.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
No one would know what the specific mechanical issue was. But also might be some crew rest restrictions coming into play here.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
And welcome to FT -- your first post after 8 years!
Ha, better late than never. Lots of interesting reading on this Forum.

My friend was one of the few who pre boarded with his Dad. Overheard the pilot say "I'm not flying this plane". They deplaned but the gate agents didn't make the announcement over the PA that the plane was delayed until 4pm the next day for a good while.

I believe the registration 183AN. I looked it up on FA and it showed a round trip to CUN before the Alaska leg. I will probably track this plane since I don't fly nearly as much as I use to and this was an interesting situation to me.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:59 am

Apparently had a brake leak on arrival from DFW no parts available locally.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Legroom on the Embraer ERJ-145 (ER4)

I recently endured a 20 minute AA flight from ABE to PHL on the Embraer ERJ-145 (ER4)

I had just undergone knee surgery 72 hours earlier and sat in the bulkhead seat. I am 6'2" and weigh 195 lbs.

I thought the agony would never end. The plane was mostly empty but the armrest was immovable so no relief there.

Even if I had not undergone surgery, I don't think I could have sat in any of the seats - legroom appears non existent.

Why hasn't there been a wholesale uprising against this type of arrangement?

Flight was late because the de-icing truck was not working, so connecting flight was missed and it became a trip in vain.

Rather then endure a return flight, I paid $120 to Uber for a ride back to ABE.

Insult to injury was when AA claimed the delay was weather related, despite my argument that it was mechanical since the de-icing equipment was not working. If the de-icer worked, we would have been on time.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
I cannot imagine being on a plane 72 hours after knee surgery. However, I have found the ER4/ERD to be acceptable for short flights. If you ever fly on one again, I've found the exit row to have much better legroom than the bulkhead, and the "A" side is quite nice.

But I'll be honest, I prefer an A seat on a ER4/ERD to the pathetic legroom I've endured on many 737s (AA and UA).
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
I cannot imagine being on a plane 72 hours after knee surgery. However, I have found the ER4/ERD to be acceptable for short flights. If you ever fly on one again, I've found the exit row to have much better legroom than the bulkhead, and the "A" side is quite nice.

But I'll be honest, I prefer an A seat on a ER4/ERD to the pathetic legroom I've endured on many 737s (AA and UA).
Agreed 200%, i’ll take one of these over an Oasis bird any time, biggest annoyance is no WiFi for me.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 2:28 pm

Embraer ERJ-145 or avoid?

The flight options for a trip I'm planning are pretty limited. It's about a 2 hour flight on an Embraer ERJ-145 with AA, which is the shortest option. Or a 3.5 hour travel time with a connection through Delta on a regular sized plane. Or drive 3 hours and get a direct 2 hour flight on a regular sized plane through JetBlue. I don't care about the quality of the plane, snacks, in flight entertainment, or any other frills. All I care about is that the flight is smooth because I get crazy nervous when flying through turbulence. I know it's a crapshoot as to whether there is turbulence on your flight. But do you feel the turbulence stronger on an Embraer ERJ-145? And is it scarier to experience on a smaller plane? Or does it feel no difference than a regular size plane like an airbus? I'm flown them in the past but that was back when I didn't mind flying that much and the flights were smooth. If you were a very nervous flyer, which of the 3 flights would you take? Thanks!
Old Oct 1, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I’m not a nervous flyer , but I’m a realistic driver. Your odds of survival are far lower on the drive 2 hour drive option.

Your odds of turbulence is roughly double when taking 2 flights (for 3.5 hours) over a single flight. Plus takeoff/landing is (I think) the most dangerous part of the flight, so odds of a crash are higher on a connecting flight (although still an order of magnitude safer than the drive 2 hour option)

no brainer for me, and I think most nervous flyers would prefer the shortest time in the air.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
I usually avoid the ERJ-145s, but that mainly because there is no first class to be hopefully upgraded into. They also tend to be some of the most worn out run down planes in the fleet in my opinion. But as the simplest direct flight option as you state I'd be tempted to take it anyway.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
ER4> CR2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.