Wiki Posts
Search

Help J overbooked and cannot get seat

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM

I was amazed. Could not get a seat assignment online so called AA. My return from Barcelona to JFK is oversold in business! Even the agent was surprised. No refund possible but could rebook another return the next day without charge! Hey I'm doing a business meeting and that's why I bought the ticket. No way I can stay an extra day. Any recommendations. This sucks. I'm a loyal AA guy and cannot believe it. Help.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: 2015 kettle

Yeah-take invol downgrade compensation. It's a pretty short flight anyway.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:07 pm

See if they could maybe put you on US's PHL or CLT service?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's xEU, so EC 261/2004 applies. 75% of the ticket price Cold hard cash.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled PLEASE READ ME BEFORE POSTING! Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum!. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Actually I would show up for the flight as scheduled. Check in and see if you will get one of the airport control seats or a no-show seat. If that doesn't happen, you can then go via PHL (10:45) or CLT (14:30). I am not 100% sure in the EU rules but I believe PHL would get you a little bit but CLT a lot more (as your arrival is more than 4 hours late).
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Often1 is correct. EXC261/2004 applies if there is a downgrade (arrival time/extraordinary circumstances can not be used to deny compensation for downgrade). Of course if you are traveling on an employer-paid ticket, the refund may go into your employer's pocket instead of yours.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Thanks to all, I called back based on some of your input and the last agent said they are overbooked by 2 people/seats.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Just because they are overbooked now, does not mean they will be overbooked on the day of your flight. Potentially two or more will cancel or changes flights which will open up a seat for you. That's fairly common as there are fewer penalties/restrictions on J.

Choices include (a) change now and get no compensation, (b) wait to it is closer to your flight and see how things are, (c) accept a voluntary downgrade to MCE in the event there are no J seats available, or (d) see if you can get an alternate routing on the day of travel if you don't want to take a downgrade to MCE.

I find westbound MCE isn't too bad ... but I suspect something will open.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:00 pm
Original Member

Assuming its Monday's flight, there are some options through MAD and LHR - not great for connections but you can get home. Get to the airport early so they can line you up on the others.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Just show up for the flight. They are overbooked not oversold. RM probably knows what it's doing in that there are likely to be at least 2 no shows. Do keep in mind the other options so you can help the agent get you there should that be needed. But 2 on a flight out of Spain that has notoriously high no show rates chances are you'll be fine. They just can't assign you a seat until the airport.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Overbooked means nothing. And, the fact that you do not have a seat assignment will not likely form the basis of a decision to DG you as opposed to some other J pax if J actually does turn out to be oversold.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you turn up for the flight and if you are denied boarding and delayed, then the airline will be required to get you to your destination plus , if delayed by 4 hours, compensate with EUR600

That there are no seats available to select at the moment does not mean that you will be denied boarding, just turn up for the flight and check in.

If it is oversold , then the airline will likely be trying to get volunteers to take another flight in exchange for some compensation and may not involve anyone being denied boarding against their will

I really would just not worry about it at the moment
Old Jul 28, 2014, 4:12 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mickeydfly13
Yeah-take invol downgrade compensation. It's a pretty short flight anyway.
Ummm, check your geography. Barcelona (in Europe) is nearly 4,000 miles from New York (in North America). Not exactly short....

To the OP, don't lose any sleep over it. I give you about 99.9% odds you'll fly this flight sitting in J.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by sts603
Ummm, check your geography. Barcelona (in Europe) is nearly 4,000 miles from New York (in North America). Not exactly short....

To the OP, don't lose any sleep over it. I give you about 99.9% odds you'll fly this flight sitting in J.
Agreed, although by my calculations the odds are more like 99.76394%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.