Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

JFK, EWR, LGA co-terminals - No longer able to switch airports on an award ticket?

JFK, EWR, LGA co-terminals - No longer able to switch airports on an award ticket?

Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Although -not- applicable to international itins, I do believe we might be seeing another "to better align with US" type change here.

More info incoming.

I'm starting to dread those words almost as much as "Well, folks..."
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by swag

I'm starting to dread those words almost as much as "Well, folks..."
Not -too- bad...

This is the July 18th add:

Suppressed Connections (back to top)
Intra city airport connections in the New York City or Washington DC markets are not permitted on domestic to domestic connections. When booking an itinerary that includes a connection between two airports we should always verify the connecting time. When verifying the connecting time and a response of "Connection Suppressed Between Segments X And X" is returned, the connection is invalid and should not be booked.
  • Domestic is defined as 50US, Puerto Rico & the US Virgin Islands
  • Domestic to domestic connections will be suppressed in the New York City/Washington DC markets
    • A connection is defined as under 4 hours. Connections exceeding 4 hours will be considered a stopover and will return a "Minimum Connect Time Edit Valid For All Connections" response when minimum connection time is verified.
    • Customers who book itineraries with a stopover will be required to purchase the applicable fare and or award based on the stopover
  • This suppression is only on domestic to domestic connections
    • Intra city connections will continue to be permitted when travel is domestic to international or international to domestic when the minimum connection times are met
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

With SJU being classed as domestic, looking at the MCT on EF in NYC it does state

Originally Posted by EF

AA-US DD SUP INTER JFK - LGA
AA-US DD SUP INTER LGA - JFK
I don't see it as alignment with US, just the standard requirements of a ticket to abide by MCTs ( which also apply to paid tickets not just awards )

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jul 22, 2014 at 10:17 pm
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by justind
Well, it took me three "hang-up and call backs" and about 4 hours on the phone before I finally booked (ticket "on request" anyways) exactly what I wanted. No explanation was given, nor asked for.
Seems like you got lucky based on what I unearthed:

Suppressed Connections (back to top)
Intra city airport connections in the New York City or Washington DC markets are not permitted on domestic to domestic connections. When booking an itinerary that includes a connection between two airports we should always verify the connecting time. When verifying the connecting time and a response of "Connection Suppressed Between Segments X And X" is returned, the connection is invalid and should not be booked.
  • Domestic is defined as 50US, Puerto Rico & the US Virgin Islands
  • Domestic to domestic connections will be suppressed in the New York City/Washington DC markets
    • A connection is defined as under 4 hours. Connections exceeding 4 hours will be considered a stopover and will return a "Minimum Connect Time Edit Valid For All Connections" response when minimum connection time is verified.
    • Customers who book itineraries with a stopover will be required to purchase the applicable fare and or award based on the stopover
  • This suppression is only on domestic to domestic connections
    • Intra city connections will continue to be permitted when travel is domestic to international or international to domestic when the minimum connection times are met
-- keep an eye on ticketing, etc.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jul 22, 2014 at 10:39 pm
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, and about everything else
On a 14 segment, 9 different airline, 27,000 mile trip through 11 countries, part paid (under $250) & part multiple awards, 4 "just shy of 24 hours" stopovers, an open-jaw, and 5 overnight flights, I spent more time on that stupid 11 mile connection than all else combined. Tickets issued, ticket numbers received.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:11 am

So Jon - does this apply to revenue tickets, everything? And is that only on the back end? I seem plenty of these itineraries, mixed-metal and JFK to LGA or vice versa, showing up on AA.com. Will they just not ticket through?

Last edited by arlflyer; Jul 23, 2014 at 8:31 am
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Seems like you got lucky based on what I unearthed:

-- keep an eye on ticketing, etc.
Your interpretation is debatable. It is explicitly mentioned that intra-city connections are allowed on domestic to international or international to domestic awards.

Technically, this is an international award despite having multiple domestic segments. So, I think that this falls under the exception mentioned. Either that, or the rep OP spoke to didn't catch up on these new rules.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: AA PLT, HYT PLT
But AA states that Puerto Rico is considered domestic.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
So Jon - does this apply to revenue tickets, everything? And is that only on the back end? I seem plenty of these itineraries, mixed-metal and JFK to LGA or vice versa, showing up on AA.com. Will they just not ticket through?
This is a standard entry in the MCT rules as shown on EF et al, so applies to all tickets

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
Your interpretation is debatable. It is explicitly mentioned that intra-city connections are allowed on domestic to international or international to domestic awards.

Technically, this is an international award despite having multiple domestic segments. So, I think that this falls under the exception mentioned. Either that, or the rep OP spoke to didn't catch up on these new rules.
Connections intra-city are only permitted where the connection is a legal connection. With the MCT rules listed , you managed to get something that would seem to be an exception to the rules

That it is an international award is not relevant as to whether a connection is valid. The only thing that would seem to be debatable is whether a flight to SJU is domestic as far as MCT rules apply since D-I is permitted whilst D-D is suppressed
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
Your interpretation is debatable.
Everything in life is debatable.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by mialink
But AA states that Puerto Rico is considered domestic.
The passenger's journey originates in Hanoi.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by JPG3392
The passenger's journey originates in Hanoi.
That is irrelevant. What matters is the 2 flights between which the passenger is connecting

Arriving from SFO
Departing to SJU

If SJU is classified as domestic then it is a suppressed connection for US
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
This is a standard entry in the MCT rules as shown on EF et al, so applies to all tickets
Sorry, ticketing systems and back-end stuff are probably my worst areas of knowledge and I am having trouble understanding your response - are you saying that all of these domestic routings showing up on AA.com with LGA-JFK transfers are bogus or not?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Sorry, ticketing systems and back-end stuff are probably my worst areas of knowledge and I am having trouble understanding your response - are you saying that all of these domestic routings showing up on AA.com with LGA-JFK transfers are bogus or not?
For domestic connections between airports where the onward flight is on US, there is no valid connection between the 2 airports

AA does not have such issues, so there is no problem with connecting between airports where the onward flight is on AA

Is aa.com offering domestic - domestic connections where onward travel is on US from the other airport
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
For domestic connections between airports where the onward flight is on US, there is no valid connection between the 2 airports

AA does not have such issues, so there is no problem with connecting between airports where the onward flight is on AA

Is aa.com offering domestic - domestic connections where onward travel is on US from the other airport
Ok, thanks for clarifying. It's the other way around I saw; AA to US. I appreciate it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.