Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I strive for Executive Platinum this year?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EX PLAT, United SA SLVR, Marriott PLAT
Should I strive for Executive Platinum this year?

I am on pace with traveling on AA this year for approximately 80-85k miles.......come early December, I do not have any more travel planned for 2014....my question is: Should I fly a mileage run trip or two in December to obtain EXP status? Is EXP that valuable? Would the mileage run be to Asia? I am currently PLAT and have never obtained EXP status. Any help with any experienced views or comments would be appreciated.
Old May 27, 2014, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As this is an AA query I've relocated it to the AA forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Mileage Run Forum Moderator
Old May 27, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K
I'd go for it, it is the only status with aa that seems to matter. Do one of the mr's to china that seems to come up in the fall like the one on theflightdeal.com yesterday ord to pek for $700.
Old May 27, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Doing the math, it seems like a well-planned trip or two could get you the 15,000 miles for about $1,000 (plus time spent in the air of course). Of course 15k BIS miles will probably be enough for a future free ticket once bonuses are factored in. I'll assume that you will be flying at least 50,000 miles next year since you are an existing platinum. First, upgrades are much easier for EXP than for Platinum. I'd say on average that 80% of your flights as an EXP get upgraded. So let's say that equals at least 40,000 miles of upgrades. Of course, those would be free as an EXP. At $30 per 500 mile upgrade, that would set you back $2,400 as a platinum (of course you would be in coach a lot more. No cost, but no fun). Clear benefit. If you expect to be at 80,000 miles again next year, you can expect at least 60,000 miles of first class, that $3,600 worth of stickers you won't have to buy.

Also, if you fly internationally, EXP gets you Flagship Lounge Access, much better and much faster customer service on the phone, and the list goes on.

To me, borderline would be if you expected to travel 20,000 miles or less next year (15,000 upgrade miles equals $900 worth of stickers)
Old May 27, 2014, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by lovenola
I'd go for it, it is the only status with aa that seems to matter. Do one of the mr's to china that seems to come up in the fall like the one on theflightdeal.com yesterday ord to pek for $700.
Just make sure to take into account the cost of a visa (if you need one) for the PEK trip.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond; National Executive Elite
The 8 system wide upgrades alone would be worth it alone, IMHO.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old May 27, 2014, 11:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by rabtech
The 8 system wide upgrades alone would be worth it alone, IMHO.
The system wide upgrades are becoming less valuable. International upgrades from coach to business are rarely clearing in advance.

As well, there sure seems to be more threads on this forum about harder to find flights using AA points.

Think about those as well when making your decision about spending your time/money to earn AA Exec. Plat status.
Old May 27, 2014, 11:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by smilee
The system wide upgrades are becoming less valuable. International upgrades from coach to business are rarely clearing in advance.
Really depends where you're going and what time of year. My trips to Madrid and Seoul this year cleared at booking. Even if they do clear as late as departure, why would you say they're "less valuable"? Are yours not clearing?

Tom in Melbourne, Australia
Old May 28, 2014, 1:47 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Even though I'm going to try to stay EXP for next year; the one thing NO ONE knows is whether the current (EXP) perks will remain once the merger is fully integrated?
Old May 28, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by lovenola
I'd agree if you're only looking at SWU's and complimentary upgrades. Otherwise, the perks for a Platinum are meaningful to many travelers.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I have enjoyed EXP for the last 2 years, the upgrades and the SWU are worth it to me,
granted, its become a quessing game as to if you will get upgraded, but at least its nice to you that hopefully you are on top of the list, or close to the top.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by smilee
But that's just on about every other airline these days, not just AA. To AA's credit, upgrades do come through, though often not in advance.
Old May 28, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by reeg2
I'd agree if you're only looking at SWU's and complimentary upgrades. Otherwise, the perks for a Platinum are meaningful to many travelers.
I think the PLAT perks are great for people who travel a good amount but either (a) can't fly J, or (b) don't seemingly live away from home (which is definitely become less ideal to me as I get older). Lounge access on intercontinental trips, a decent chance of upgrades, priority lane access. I think they're solid benefits.
Old May 28, 2014, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by reeg2
correct. apart from upgrades, platinum gives lounge access, which can vastly improve the quality of a trip. The other benefits like 75% more bonus miles and early seat selection on oneworld partners are pretty good too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.