Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will AA increase JFK-LHR frequencies?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
When will AA increase JFK-LHR frequencies?

I notice it's down to 3x per day now. Is AA planning on adding back the other 2 flights per day once they have more 773s (or retrofit the 772s)? I checked the schedule through the end of the year and don't see the frequencies increasing. Does anybody know if this is expected to change or is 3x pretty permanent for the time being?

Thanks for your help. I did several searches but couldn't find any info.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:20 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
The 4th flight will resume in late fall 2014 at a to be determined specific date.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:59 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Would be nice to see the eastbound dayflight restored. BA added a second eastbound dayflight to replace the one canceled by AA, but the BA flights leave too early in the morning for anyone wanting a same-day connection at JFK. The AA dayflight left later in the morning.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: AA EXP BASilver
I have heard from AA staff at LHR last week, that the schedule will stay as it is.
It is quite possible that the LHR JFK route will be dropped and BA will service it.
Makes sense with the new Virgin/Delta increasing its slots. AA is now the poor relation on this route now.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Olivertwist
I have heard from AA staff at LHR last week, that the schedule will stay as it is.
It is quite possible that the LHR JFK route will be dropped and BA will service it.
Makes sense with the new Virgin/Delta increasing its slots. AA is now the poor relation on this route now.
While I appreciate the report, I will say with as close to 100% certainty as can be possible in a world filled with entropy that the AA staff at LHR have zero say in what airline flies what routes, nor do they have a multi-month proprietary advance notice of major business changes such as a specific route being left by AA entirely.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Microwave
While I appreciate the report, I will say with as close to 100% certainty as can be possible in a world filled with entropy that the AA staff at LHR have zero say in what airline flies what routes, nor do they have a multi-month proprietary advance notice of major business changes such as a specific route being left by AA entirely.
+1 - I always find it remarkable that people are willing to give credence to low-level employee gossip. If this were true and leaked by one of those employees, it is the kind of corporate inside information which gets one terminated. Safe to assume they don't brief the people who change the paper in the BP printer.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:08 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Ignoring the lack of credibility of employee gossip, the AA J hard product is bar none the best thing flying on this route. Period. And at least from a space standpoint in F, the larger F product. Soft product BA wins in F. Lounges probably go VS>BA>DL/AA/UA. Liquor BA beats AA. Not sure about the other three. And food a bit of a toss up - but westbound AA certainly beats BA at least. And VS gets terrible reviews on their J food.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: AA, UA
I wouldn't be surprised if AA keeps JFK-LHR at 3x per day for good. Recall that as a condition for the merger AA had to give up a LHR slot. JFK-LHR is well served between AA and BA so AA can drop a frequency without having much impact to its customers.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by austin_res
I wouldn't be surprised if AA keeps JFK-LHR at 3x per day for good. Recall that as a condition for the merger AA had to give up a LHR slot. JFK-LHR is well served between AA and BA so AA can drop a frequency without having much impact to its customers.
They gave up "a" slot, but the JFK-LHR frequency wasn't reduced, frequency was reduced elsewhere.

In this case, AA's discontinued morning flight has been replaced by an additional BA morning flight. Overall frequency on the city pair remains the same when you add BA+AA.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by austin_res
Well, it makes their customers' miles less valuable by reducing opportunities to redeem on AA metal on that route, likely "forcing" them over to BA with the absurd surcharges. I used to always be able to count on a mileage upgrade or J/F award seat being available on AA metal on JFK-LHR. Now, not so much. So much for metal neutrality...

DL has some pretty crappy aspects of its FFP as we know, but at least they don't charge award surcharges for taking their JV partner metal across the pond (well, not if you're originating in the US).
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, it makes their customers' miles less valuable by reducing opportunities to redeem on AA metal on that route, likely "forcing" them over to BA with the absurd surcharges. I used to always be able to count on a mileage upgrade or J/F award seat being available on AA metal on JFK-LHR. Now, not so much. So much for metal neutrality...
While this undoubtedly is true and thus represents a devaluation of the AAdvantage Program, BA offers very good transatlantic J and F award availability, and at 50,000 or 62,500 miles and about $500, it's still a pretty sweet deal (albeit not nearly as sweet as 50,000 or 62,500 miles and about $0).
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:28 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Hopefully AA will better purpose its widebodies to other destinations. I'd rather see the relationship with IB, AY, CX expanded and BA reduced.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Spiff
Hopefully AA will better purpose its widebodies to other destinations. I'd rather see the relationship with IB, AY, CX expanded and BA reduced.
Why? Yes, BA isn't my favorite airline. But TATL is a huge and necessary market. LHR is the most lucrative destination in Europe from the US and as I recall, JFK-LHR is the single busiest route by annual passengers that touches a US airport and it has an enormous amount of F/J demand.

IB is no great airline and AY isn't logical for most places in Europe. At the end of the day, LHR offers a ton of O&D and a very logical connection to tons of places in Europe with strong BA frequency ex-LHR.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:49 am

I can see the benefits of expanding the relationship with CX, since HKG is a good hub for connections throughout China and Asia. But are MAD/BCN (for IB) and FCO (AY) better hubs for connections than LHR (BA)?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
<redacted>

As much as AA touts their partnership with BA on this route, it's not going anywhere.

Last edited by Microwave; Apr 17, 2014 at 11:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.