Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

JJ / TAM VIP ex-First lounge in GRU / São Paul: no status-based access (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JJ / TAM VIP ex-First lounge in GRU / São Paul: no status-based access (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by beerup
That one isn't a written exclusion. Have you been on an eligible itinerary and got denied? For the BA lounge in SEA, I have always found that it is the opening hours that makes it restrictive for anything other than BA flights.

You would have to be leaving on an AA flight since for J/F oneworld lounge access you need to be departing on a flight marketed and operated by a oneworld carrier (AA and BA are the only oneworld carrier serving SEA). Since the BA lounge doesn't open until 3 pm, that doesn't leave many options for connecting to an international flight. I guess if you were connecting to an intl flight the next day, it would be possible.
Yes, flying AA on an international ITN same day which would qualify me for entrance. The club manager informed me that their position was to allow entry on for BA J/F passengers and they even deny BA Gold. They use the BS excuse about capacity of the lounge even when it was only half full as "it might fill up before the flight".
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by sts603
What is the TAM J lounge like?
I haven't been in it. The last time we departed GRU we bailed on the AA lounge and sat in that bar / coffee shop near the gates. The AA Lounge just isn't big enough to support six or seven triple 7s (MIA 3x, DFW 2x (?), JFK (1-2x), LAX).

Last edited by george 3; Apr 17, 2014 at 4:12 am
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by beerup
That one isn't a written exclusion. Have you been on an eligible itinerary and got denied?.
Yes, as CX Gold I should have access whenever flying AA, whether domestic or international. However I have never been granted access unless flying on a BA flight originating in Seattle.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: dont matter anymore...
Here's Ben's review of the lounge for those interested:

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...paulo-airport/
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by Blumie
Don't they know who you are?!?!
Yes, which is exactly why the policy exists as it does
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flipside
The TAM F lounge is really nice, but it's really, really small. It would be unbearable if emeralds were allowed in.
Agreed it's very small so I can see why it's excluded. I was in it last year and aside from it being private and some tasty canapes I was pretty underwhelmed by it TBH and ended up going to the J lounge.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The TAM lounges at GRU are sort of known for being sort of standoffish when it comes to alliance partner airline customers/elites when the partner airline has its own lounge at GRU. Much the same kind of thing was an issue even when TAM was part of Star Alliance. My UA1k or UA business class boarding pass would get me rejected from a TAM lounge at GRU; but if I showed an A3*G or BD*G or SK*G card with the same boarding pass, then the TAM business lounge would let me in regardless of operating carrier as long as the operating carrier was a Star Alliance one.

The TAM GRU business lounge near there is also frequently packed to the gills. To move around and find a seat there in the evening is too often an obstacle course of occupied seats and carry-on luggage.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 17, 2014 at 11:51 am
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Because of the (relatively) unique nature of the access rules at this lounge, I've gone ahead and updated the thread title and made it the consolidated thread.

I will also be moving this to the consolidated post-merger AA thread, since both Dividend Miles and AAdvantage elites will be impacted by this.

~Moderator
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sts603
What is the TAM J lounge like?
It had a piano last I was there as a *G, decent food and beverage offering for a business lounge and it had a pair of computers; but it was packed beyond belief as it often was in the evenings when the various UA flights leave there. It had one shower stall per restroom and the bathroom amenity kit handed out by the front desk (along with towels) had L'Occitane products. Internet required vouchers from the front desk.

Originally Posted by EXPflyerRTW
I think another difference, worthy of pointing out, is that UA 1ks did get access to the F lounge before TAM switched over.

See this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ge-access.html

I guess OW emeralds are inferior to star elites.
UA*Gs flying UA out of GRU were frequently denied TAM business class lounge access. UA 1ks were also routinely excluded from TAM first class lounge access as first class lounge access was not and is not a benefit of 1k status nor of *G status.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 17, 2014 at 11:53 am
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by EXPflyerRTW
I fly to Sao Paulo frequently. I had seen the TAM First Class lounge before but was told I could not come in until TAM joined oneworld. I was told I would be able to use it after that date.

When I arrived in GRU after TAM joined OW and went to use the First Class
lounge I was denied entry. I was told that as of last week the lounge is no longer a first class lounge, but now is a special VIP lounge. I was told Emeralds are not welcome, only TAM's special customers. When I asked what kind of special passengers, I was told First Class and other loyal customers. When pressed, the representative admitted that the problem is the lounge is too small and management doesnt want the First Class Lounge used by oneworld Emeralds who are not traveling on TAM.

TAM OW Emeralds use the American Airlines first class lounges in Chicago, New York and Los Angeles. Yet, AA's elites are not welcome at TAM's, even though TAM is now a full member.

TAM must grant access to OW Emeralds to the First Class lounge. Otherwise, TAM's emerald customers should be denied entry into the First Class Lounges of all OW carriers, including American, BA, Cathay, etc.

If you have been affected by this you should complain.
Must? Unfortunately not, now that TAM has repurposed and renamed it, IMO.

This is the "Concorde Lounge exception"; it has precedent and it's likely our loss. Smart of them to figure it out so quickly, but a disincentive for us to support them; it's up to us how this affects our "good will" balance with TAM..
Old Apr 25, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, KrisFlyer Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Chase Private Client
Too bad. I was hoping to use the TAM F lounge a couple times during the World Cup. I suspect with the increase in traffic all the other lounges will be packed to capacity!
Old Apr 26, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
The TAM F Class lounge is awful as far as First Class lounges go. It is straight out of the 70s, along with the piano player. You are not missing anything. It is almost impossible to use a laptop as there are no good ergonomic tables and power plugs are few and far in-between. The piano can be loud if you are trying to make a phone call. Now, if you want to have a drink and chat with friends with your leisure suit on than it is great.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
The piano can be loud if you are trying to make a phone call. Now, if you want to have a drink and chat with friends with your leisure suit on than it is great.
Indeed, phone conversations can be so loud/irritating when you are trying to listen to a piano player.
Old May 1, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
And it looks like this may become a non-issue fairly soon:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...more-info.html

TAM is apparently discontinuing F service in November.
Old May 3, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
there must not be enough demand in the N america-S america market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.