Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)

Thread referred to: Devaluation, new tiers, oneworld Explorer award gone, etc. 8 April 2014

Without any prior notification, American Airlines announced on 8 April 2014 some significant AAdvantage program rescissions and devaluations, effective immediately:

• oneworld Explorer awards can no longer be claimed; (pre-existing awards will be honored)

• Stopovers at North American gateways for international partner award tickets were eliminated

• AAnytime awards now reflect variable, demand-based pricing

• US Dividend Miles North Asia premium awards have repriced

Important Information

AAnytime Awards: Effective April 8, 2014, for tickets issued for travel starting June 1, 2014, we have updated award levels. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014. For award bookings after April 8 for travel between April 8 and June 1, 2014, these award mileage levels will apply.

oneworld Explorer Awards are no longer available for award booking. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014.
This thread is specifically to vent and offer ways for readers to protest or complain.

Possibilities for action / communication:

Originally Posted by hillrider
Here's what you can do, as stated by the U.S. Supreme Court in its recent case (Source: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...2-462_p8k0.pdf page 13)

Congress has given the Department of Transportation (DOT) the general authority to prohibit and punish unfair and deceptive practices in air transportation and in the sale of air transportation, 49 U.S.C. §41712(a) , and Congress has specifically authorized the DOT to investigate complaints relating to frequent flyer programs. See FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, §408(6), 126 Stat. 87. Pursuant to these provisions, the DOT regularly entertains and acts on such complaints.
It is your duty to enter a complaint with the DOT at http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/CP_AirlineService.htm. You can even quote this passage from the U.S. Supreme Court.
Sample communication to USDOT here.

Originally Posted by ooshawn
Just wrote an unhappy letter to AA/USAir execs (all email addresses I could find), if you want to feel free to use/build off of the following:
douglas.parker<at>usairways.com,
sean.bentel<at>aa.com,
tom.horton<at>aa.com ?
Customer.Relations<at>aa.com,
ken.fischer<at>usairways.com,
robert.isom<at>usairways.com,
suzanne.rubin<at>aa.com
Corporate structure: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/corporateInformation/facts/structure.jsp

Originally Posted by MyTravels
USPS:
<Executive Name>
P.O. Box 619616
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, the more complaints the DOT receives, the more they're forced to act. All complaints are matter of public record, are their numbers are tallied monthly and provided to Congress, along with a summary of DOT actions taken.

If the DOT receives hundreds of complaints on a single issue, it is in no position of just ignoring it. If it only gets a few, then it can just say that the issue isn't as important as others it receives more complaints about.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:06 am

BTW, the more complaints the DOT receives, the more they're forced to act. All complaints are matter of public record, are their numbers are tallied monthly and provided to Congress, along with a summary of DOT actions taken.
Or you can petition the White House for comment. You'd actually get some Press for going the WH route rather than DOT route (there were petitions to deport Piers Morgan and Justin Bieber). It takes a lot of signatures, but it'd be interesting.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Is it possible to undo mergers?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, UA Gold, HH Lifetime DIA, WoH Globalist
Most of us were excited to hear Rubin would continue to lead the AAdvantage Program post merger, but to hear her say (in multiple interviews) how surprised she was at the negative feedback regarding the devaluation is disappointing. Aligning award levels to industry standards and harmonizing programs is understandable. The lack of advance notice is insulting. American had a real opportuntity to further distinguish itself, but in the course of 24 hours stumbled badly.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by dtremit
Off topic, but -- why?
Why Siberian and Far Eastern Russia destinations were only available via Explorer Awards?

Those were just the rules of redemption with OW partner S7 (a.k.a., Siberian Airlines). For me I just really wanted a standard partner award ticket from Tokyo to Vladivostok, a mere 2:40 flight, but because only S7 flies that route the purchase price is over $300 one way. So if I wanted the award I had to use an Explorer award which wasn't ideal because I wanted to do some segments by train but can only have one open segment and I'm not returning to Tokyo.

I was able to get the award because there had been a pricing problem when I tried to buy it last Saturday (obviously unaware of the impending, unannounced award abolition).

I feel fortunate that I may be the last person ever to procure a OW award ticket to those destinations.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
I have entered the following complaint with the DoT:

Doug Parker at American Airlines has, this week alone, increased the price on AAnytime Mileage Award tickets, removed 2nd checked bag benefit for Gold Elite Status Members, gotten rid of Oneworld Explorer Mileage Awards, and gotten rid of international gateway stopovers on award tickets, and gotten rid of free checked bags on full-fare tickets. All with zero notice.

Congress has given the Department of Transportation (DOT) the general authority to prohibit and punish unfair and deceptive practices in air transportation and in the sale of air transportation, 49 U.S.C. §41712(a) , and Congress has specifically authorized the DOT to investigate complaints relating to frequent flyer programs. See FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, §408(6), 126 Stat. 87. Pursuant to these provisions, the DOT regularly entertains and acts on such complaints.

What Doug Parker has done since the merger between US Airways and American Airlines became official shows that he was clearly deceptive and as such the DoT should act upon this. Parker is clearly attempting to gut American Airlines after promising enhancements and that he would not degrade quality after the merger.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by 48pager
The lack of advance notice is insulting. American had a real opportuntity to further distinguish itself, but in the course of 24 hours stumbled badly.
Given the nature of the changes it is hard to imagine how they could have given notice without triggering a huge number of redemptions that could have had a significant impact on inventory ...
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:55 am

If the DOT receives hundreds of complaints on a single issue, it is in no position of just ignoring it. If it only gets a few, then it can just say that the issue isn't as important as others it receives more complaints about.
I submitted a detailed DOT complaint just now using their online form. I hope others here at FT do the same.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Mark_T
Given the nature of the changes it is hard to imagine how they could have given notice without triggering a huge number of redemptions that could have had a significant impact on inventory ...
And yet WN gave ~ 3 months notice of their devaluation.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by Robl
I submitted a detailed DOT complaint just now using their online form. I hope others here at FT do the same.
Please post your complaint.

This is what I submitted:

Doug Parker at American Airlines has, this week alone, increased the price on AAnytime Mileage Award tickets, removed 2nd checked bag benefit for Gold Elite Status Members, gotten rid of Oneworld Explorer Mileage Awards, and gotten rid of international gateway stopovers on award tickets, and gotten rid of free checked bags on full-fare tickets. All with zero notice.

What Doug Parker has done since the merger between US Airways and American Airlines became official shows that he was clearly deceptive and as such the DoT should act upon this. Parker is clearly attempting to gut American Airlines after promising enhancements and that he would not degrade quality after the merger.

Originally Posted by 48pager
Most of us were excited to hear Rubin would continue to lead the AAdvantage Program post merger, but to hear her say (in multiple interviews) how surprised she was at the negative feedback regarding the devaluation is disappointing. Aligning award levels to industry standards and harmonizing programs is understandable. The lack of advance notice is insulting. American had a real opportuntity to further distinguish itself, but in the course of 24 hours stumbled badly.
The lack of anticipation of the negative feedback does not bode well for the long term (and possibly immediate) future of this FF program. I had ~200k miles 2+ years ago when the rumors of AA/US merger started surfacing and decided to burn, burn, and burn them even more. Just got an Explorer award at the deadline. Only 22k left which I had been planning to use to fly one way from Europe to the US (with a stopover!) off peak after the Explorer award but I am expecting that sweet award to be eliminated after the current tumult dies down. I mean, no other carrier has this award, why should AA?

Umm

You guys need to get over this. Frequent flyer program terms and conditions all say that airlines can unilaterally make changes or even shut a program down. At their will. You are paying for air transportation. That's what you get when you buy a plane ticket. Nowhere in your contract does it say benefits will always be the same. Deal with it and move on

Originally Posted by Phasers
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Phasers
Phasers, I think the thing to mention is the recent bonus on purchased miles offer and the persistent promotion of miles via credit cards as perhaps better examples of what we might think to be an unfair or "deceptive" practice. AA is at liberty to change its own rules (as disingenuous as that is and was in this case), but the arguably deceptive practice for me was the very recent release of a bonus on mile purchase offer and/or the offer of miles with CC (with an assumed value at the point of offer) in the knowledge that the changes were coming. The lack of notice, of course, is the "unfair" component.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
DL's doing well enough to pay dividends on DAL, and has delivered enough growth and revenue that they've actually decided to push into a new hub (SEA), something AA and UA haven't done in a good long while. Are you saying their model's unsustainable?
It's easy to see correlation, but establishing causation is not so easy.

Yes, DL is firing on all cylinders and making huge profits despite its less-than-friendly frequent flyer program changes.

UA, on the other hand, is a different story. Since March 3, 3012, the Shares integration date, UA has underperformed relative to both AA and DL.

When AA filed for Ch 11 in November, 2011, the Wall St stockpushers unanimously predicted that AA would shrink by at least 10% (some fools predicted 15% or more) and thus AA would see its revenue decline by at least $2.5 billion in 2012 compared with 2011.

What actually happened was vastly different from the predictions of JamieBaker/HunterKeay/et al: AA's 2012 revenue was up by almost a billion dollars over 2011, and AA shrank very little. Over at UA, 2012 revenue was $42 million higher compared with 2011. It wasn't just AA; US and DL also saw their 2012 revenue grow substantially compared to UA.

Against that backdrop, I would have predicted that Parker would stay the course and continue to dance with the one that brung him for at least a couple more years, you know - not piss off the elites, both native and recent arrivals from UA. Continue to look attractive to customers fleeing UA (and maybe even DL given its very recent changes to Skypiles).

Instead, he's angered the AA elites long before he's even integrated the computer systems, perhaps jeopardizing the huge revenue growth that AA and US saw in 2012 and 2013 (especially compared with UA).

Maybe his aggressive changes will bring in even higher profits in the short-term. We'll see.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by jasondc
You guys need to get over this. Frequent flyer program terms and conditions all say that airlines can unilaterally make changes or even shut a program down. At their will. You are paying for air transportation. That's what you get when you buy a plane ticket. Nowhere in your contract does it say benefits will always be the same. Deal with it and move on
This is true and acknowledged by many posters. But you are missing the point that when DL and UA have made changes to their programs there has been sufficient notice to members.

AA gave zero notice of these significant changes. ZERO.

I think the complaining is more about the process than the actual actions themselves which if given proper notice could have been handled by members in ways they saw fit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.