Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Increases AAnytime Award Mileage Costs / Adds Tiers [8 Apr 2014]

Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

AA Award Changes for travel as of June 1, 2014:

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/pressrelease...light-services

Explorer Awards (formerly known as oneworld Awards) discontinued (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...pr-2014-a.html)
AAnytime Awards split into Levels 1, 2, 3
MilesSAAver Awards remain split into Levels 1 (formerly Off-peak) and Level 2 (formerly Peak)

Link to Miles tiers and requirements for award travel through May 2014

Link to Miles tiers and requirements for awards travel as of June 1 2014

AAnytime Award Tiers by Date (note that they vary by regions)

Green = Level 1
Yellow = Level 2
Red = Level 3

CONUS Calendar:

N. America - Hawaii Calendar:

New AAnytime rates, including current Level 3 prices (no more guessing what the * means):

Moderator Note:

We would invite members who are frustrated at this change and interested in venting, or who would like to discuss ways to communicate displeasure to the powers that be, to head to this thread:

Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:52 am

------

Last edited by crimsonAA; Nov 14, 2017 at 7:08 am
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by aa4ever
Also, I really dislike the complete lack of transparency on award pricing. DL lists awards as low/medium/high. This just lists them as Saver/Anytime and Anytime can have variable pricing
1/1/15 DL is going to a tier 1-5 which is the same as the new AA chart just AA gave additional names to the tiers
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
According to One Mile At A Time blog:
American’s stopover policy has long been that you can have a free stopover at your international gateway city on an award, even on a one-way.

Well, overnight it appears that’s no longer the case anymore either. You can’t have a stopover on a one-way award anymore, and if you try to change the date of an existing “stopover” segment it will price the segments separately.
The changes are bad but not necessarily unexpected. The lack of any advance notice is horrid. But this last part seems to be over the top: if you've flown an international trip and are currently on the stopover, you were holding a one way domestic ticket with free date changes. Now if you want to change the date, your domestic ticket becomes worthless? Changed rules on an already issued ticket?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:23 am

I'm seeing some major glitches - anyone have any luck exploiting?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:28 am

What is with the War on Stopovers? Losing this stopover is unexpected given that US is much more flexible with them. Sometimes they're necessary just to find an award. So now I expect US to lose them too. Plus, Explorer is gone which was the very best stopover option and very best award of any airline.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:28 am

------

Last edited by crimsonAA; Nov 14, 2017 at 7:08 am
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Punch in the face!!

Originally Posted by Gemba
One World Explorer awards are gone too.... Bummer, was about to book one. The lack of notice really sucks!

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/r...false&from=Nav
I can't believe they would eliminate something like this without any forewarning!

I have saved miles specifically for this so I could have done RTW F class trip at some point.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by onfo
unfortunately everything i had planned but not booked is partner award requiring a phone call. not sure how to exploit any glitches with a csr! especially when explorer awards were killed with negative warning (they actually died hours BEFORE it was announced)- taking bad airline behaviour to a whole new level.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:34 am

------

Last edited by crimsonAA; Nov 14, 2017 at 7:07 am
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by crimsonAA
The big question... Is this "it," or is there more to come?
This. "Old" oneworld chart still showing on AA.com. Bet the new one is in final editing with the graphics department. Let's see how this goes.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:38 am

------

Last edited by crimsonAA; Nov 14, 2017 at 7:07 am
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I can't believe they would eliminate something like this without any forewarning!

I have saved miles specifically for this so I could have done RTW F class trip at some point.
exactly.
not to sound too melodramatic, but it's just plain mean spirited and tells you you're a fool for being loyal and logging all those miles while you and your SO plan that major once in a lifetime and.....BOOM....GONE. tough s---, we don't care.

if, as they commented, the explorer were used by few, then what possible reason was there to kill them with zero notice? none. even a week and i'd have been booked. 2 days... anything. but announcing it 4 hours AFTER it took effect- with the page still up on aa.com.... i cannot imagine another company in another industry doing the same. makes it seem like an arrogant jerk is running the company. oh, wait...
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
This. "Old" oneworld chart still showing on AA.com. Bet the new one is in final editing with the graphics department. Let's see how this goes.
yeah, i'm reading comments by many about it not being so bad because the saver premium cabin intl were not changed. yeah... and that will last until what time today...
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by onfo
Potentially favorable glitches?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by crimsonAA
I doubt they'll devalue BA redemptions given the fuel surcharges... But I could be wrong.
Well, if they pull enough SAAver award space to push everyone into AAntyime on AA metal, then yeah there is room for them to devalue BA, even with fuel surcharges.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.