Wiki Posts
Search

Booking JFK-HNL-KOA on HA using AA miles

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL,CO,SWA
Booking JFK-HNL-KOA on HA using AA miles

1. So for a specific date, I see SaverAward for JFK-HNL (17.5 or 22.5k) and also for HNL-KOA (5k) on AA.com. Both on HA. Flights are possible, timewise
2. I don't think it is possible to book JFK-HNL-KOA online.
3. I called AA.com to check what the mileage total would be. Hoping if I booked by calling it would be 22.5k since both were Saaver awards. Was told it was 17.5/22.5 + 5.

So, has anyone booked on HA and did not have to pay the extra 5k miles to get to another island?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The extra 5K for the inter-island segment is standard.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by dcv2002
1. So for a specific date, I see SaverAward for JFK-HNL (17.5 or 22.5k) and also for HNL-KOA (5k) on AA.com. Both on HA. Flights are possible, timewise
2. I don't think it is possible to book JFK-HNL-KOA online.
3. I called AA.com to check what the mileage total would be. Hoping if I booked by calling it would be 22.5k since both were Saaver awards. Was told it was 17.5/22.5 + 5.

So, has anyone booked on HA and did not have to pay the extra 5k miles to get to another island?
AA has weird relationships with its airline partners and some rules are not very clear. Technically, the awards chart does not mention anything about the 17.5/22.5 Y award only been available to Hawaii on a one-leg basis.

However, if you are flexible, you can still find availability for 17.5/22.5 in Y for itineraries operated by AA and AS.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

AAdvantage awards between the Mainland and Hawaii do not include connecting inter-island flights. But as noted, connections on the Mainland are permitted, subject to the published-fare rules of the carrier that flies between the Mainland and the Hawaiian destination.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL,CO,SWA
It seems like any NYC to any Hawaiian island on AA is few and far between or non existent. The few that are available are horrible routing like JFK-sea-PDX-Hawaii. Couple of years ago I was able to book JFK-lax-koa on AA no problem. Now that never shows up as Saver. And I've been checking the each new release day.

Any chance I can use US Airways miles for the inter island flights?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Up until a few years ago, one could only use AA miles to be redeemed for interisland awards, priced at 5,000 each leg.

Then, changed their redemption policy with AA allowing AAdvantage Miles to be redeemed for all of HA's routes.

The interisland award has never changed.

So if you're wanting to redeem AA miles for interisland travel, there's no way to avoid paying additional miles.

You'll find the same requirement on DL if you're redeeming miles to travel interisland on HA, when connecting DL to HA.

UA allows you bundle their metal and interisland travel for no addtional miles if connecting onward, within allowed connection time windows.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The extra 5K for the inter-island segment is standard.
Originally Posted by guv1976

AAdvantage awards between the Mainland and Hawaii do not include connecting inter-island flights. But as noted, connections on the Mainland are permitted, subject to the published-fare rules of the carrier that flies between the Mainland and the Hawaiian destination.
As noted by several posters above, the rule still, simply states (and is unchanged for quite a few years) :
Award travel between Hawaii and North America does not include inter-island flights.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 9:03 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Max M
UA allows you bundle their metal and interisland travel for no addtional miles if connecting onward, within allowed connection time windows.
Originally Posted by UA MileagePlus
Hawaii Inter-island Saver Award Add-on: Add a Hawaiian Airlines or Island Air inter-island connection in Economy class +6,000 award miles each way.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:52 am

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
This must have changed with the recent devaluation over at UA Mileage Plus in early Feburary 2014, as an award search done in January 2014 showed that a:

OGG-HNL [on HA]
HNL-EWR [UA]

priced the same as

OGG-SFO [UA]
SFO-EWR [UA]

There is now a variance in miles requried, where previously there was not a difference when pricing such awards on United.com

I thought it was strange at the time that such awards were priced the same; obviously now they are not.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:34 am
Suspended

HA flights are available on Aadvantage but they have different rules. Lhr-lax-hnl is 1 award if you use Aa or As but 2 if you use the HA mainland flights. Similarly HA will not allow First class redemption inter island on AADVANTAGE. Given interisland prices I would book JFK - HNL on miles and pay the 64 bucks for the connector.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rjlon
HA flights are available on Aadvantage but they have different rules. Lhr-lax-hnl is 1 award if you use Aa or As but 2 if you use the HA mainland flights.
No, it's the same rule (formula), just different results.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.