Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing flights in JFK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Changing flights in JFK

Hi - I'm hoping for some advice about an international transit. I'm flying from Heathrow to Sao Paulo via JFK (on a single ticket with AA), and will have some checked luggage. My flight to Sao Paulo leaves just over 2 hours after the scheduled arrival from London.

Is that enough time to get through immigration, customs, baggage reclaim, security? AA say that 'it should be', but that doesn't feel too reassuring. I know that it's the same terminal (and may be the same aircraft).

My only previous experience of JFK was a 2 hour wait at immigration alone.

Any advice welcomed!
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Changing flights in JFK

It's totally unpredictable alas. Assuming you are arriving on the 8pm arrival from LHR, youllbe after most of the European arrivals. My response would be the same as AA's - it *should* be fine. if you miss it, they could probably put you on the LAN flight via Lima, but I know that's less than ideal.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

That's my dilemma really - the only alternatives will take forever if I miss the direct flight from JFK to Săo Paulo. I was also keen to go overnight on the 777-300 since the new business cabin looks great. Might be best to switch to an earlier flight out of LHR and grab a few hours sightseeing in Manhattan.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Changing flights in JFK

I don't know which alternative flights you're looking at, but only the morning LHR-JFK, getting you in around 1, would really allow for any appreciable visiting Manhattan. Allow 1.5-2 hrs each way to get from JFK to Manhattan, plus immigration and security.
Old May 1, 2014, 7:55 pm

The last time I flew internationally with AA via JFK T8, I had the option of paying (or not) for a trolley to transport my luggage. What is the distance between baggage reclaim and re-checking your bag via customs? Both my incoming and outgoing flights are with AA.
Old May 2, 2014, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I'll pop this thread over to our AA forum, as the folks there would be the experts on how AA operates at JFK. (It might be worth checking out our New York destination forum, too.)

Fellow FlyerTalk members, please note this thread started over in the flame-free Information Desk forum.

Best,
jackal
Moderator, Information Desk
Old May 3, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
It really depends, but generally I wouldn't expect such bad lines at immigration around 8pm.

As for the morning flight suggestion, AA101 today arrived on time, 1:10pm, to a completely empty immigration hall -- no lines at any station.
Old May 3, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jgchan
The last time I flew internationally with AA via JFK T8, I had the option of paying (or not) for a trolley to transport my luggage. What is the distance between baggage reclaim and re-checking your bag via customs? Both my incoming and outgoing flights are with AA.
I would estimate about 100 yards/meters.
Old May 3, 2014, 10:17 pm

You should be fine. AA seems to have the "Express Connection" thing going on in T8, so with a tight connection you may get expedited through immigration and security lines. Even without that, it's not exactly prime time at either immigration or security so everything should move reasonably quickly. I suspect you'll get to the gate well before they start boarding.
Old May 3, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by SJC AA
It really depends, but generally I wouldn't expect such bad lines at immigration around 8pm.

As for the morning flight suggestion, AA101 today arrived on time, 1:10pm, to a completely empty immigration hall -- no lines at any station.
I flew the LHR-JFK AA flight that arrives at ~8:00PM in 2012, and the immigration hall at T-8 was also empty.

Not only that, but U.S. Immigration was quick to move people, and we had the friendliest U.S. Immigration which we've experienced, so it's very unfair to stereotype New Yorkers as unfriendly.

Of course, YMMV [regarding the lack of lines at JFK T-8].
Old May 4, 2014, 6:46 am

Thanx to all for your responses. Never heard of this 'Express Connection'. Usually (at MIA) you have to take your chances at Immigration, especially if you're a non-American/Green card holder, and wait in line along with everyone else.

Was hoping to take advantage of T8 Admiral's Club during our JFK transit.
Old May 4, 2014, 7:03 am

Express Connect is supposed to exist in Miami too, but as with many things in Miami, probably implemented pretty poorly/inconsistently.

Here's an old-ish FlyerTalk thread with a bit more information on the topic, and an interesting behind the scenes look at the service too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.