Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2014 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Just missed my first of the New Year. DFW-LAS #2226. Looks like the first trip will go 4/5.

I hate the ABC DEF six across seating btw.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
jan 18 and already on a MR? Dedication!
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onesocalkid
Just missed my first of the New Year. DFW-LAS #2226. Looks like the first trip will go 4/5.

I hate the ABC DEF six across seating btw.
I missed IAH-DFW last friday. I did book it 2 days out though, so not fretting that one too much.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I will report back on what ends up happening, but here's the situation.

Booked a AUS-DFW-SEA-DFW-AUS MR on Dec 30th for Jan 18th.

Today both of my AUS-DFW and DFW-AUS segments cleared. DFW-SEA is showing F2/A1 on EF, although 6 seats are unassigned. SEA-DFW is showing F5/A4 with 5 unassigned seats. Kind of a weird setup in my mind..

I suspect I will clear on the SEA-DFW, but not on the DFW-SEA segment.

Time to start cranking up the EQP/EQM & segments counters!!
What kind of a fare did you get? They are usually pretty reasonable on that route but not necessarily MR-worthy.

Anyway, my guess is you will easily clear both. It is a Saturday and the MCE sections (your competition for the upgrade) are mostly empty. On your outbound DFW-SEA, Y is almost certainly oversold and they are holding back F seats to provide room to accommodate the oversell. Yes, you could say that AA should upgrade folks now to create more space in Y, and you would be right, but they don't. Your upgrade for that flight will likely clear at the gate. The return SEA-DFW will probably clear a few hours before departure. Unfortunately, no meal pre-order for you.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond , AA EXP
1/14 lax flt 297 had 11 seats in F @ T 3 I was 3 on the list now there are 3 seats in F and i've moved to 4 on the list however there were no new seats released tin coach .. this is the 3 rd time this type of situation has occurred.
I just turned Exp is it due to my new status ? how does AA process complementary upgrades ? should i have turned in the 15k and 175$ copay ?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there a way to check a range for C inventory on EF? Or is it day by day?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
I missed IAH-DFW last friday. I did book it 2 days out though, so not fretting that one too much.
I ticketed 09/04/13
Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Is there a way to check a range for C inventory on EF? Or is it day by day?
You can select the + or - 3 days option and get 7 days' worth of availability in one query.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fotographer
I would try calling if you not have already, I always feel getting the right agent on the line, can make a difference..
hah agreed! it was odd today--shortly after i posted i went to review my itin and it was suddenly unavailable "due to changes made outside aa.com" so i called and voila: SWU cleared on all portions SFO-MIA-LHR.

still odd to me that even though it cleared, at no point did the expertflyer notification i set ever come through--is there something aa is doing specifically with 777W SWU inventory that prevents them from ever appearing on expertflyer? this is probably the fourth or fifth time this has happened including other bookings i make by phone and they confirm the int'l SWU despite no availability on expert flyer.

thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by oxfordm5
1/14 lax flt 297 had 11 seats in F @ T 3 I was 3 on the list now there are 3 seats in F and i've moved to 4 on the list however there were no new seats released tin coach .. this is the 3 rd time this type of situation has occurred.
I just turned Exp is it due to my new status ? how does AA process complementary upgrades ? should i have turned in the 15k and 175$ copay ?
There's always the possibility of last minute F purchases, or the 8 seats that disappeared could have been given to standby passengers ticketed in F on another flight. Also, the seats could have been sold previously but not assigned until the last minute. Best to ask an agent at the time.

Originally Posted by vasantn
You can select the + or - 3 days option and get 7 days' worth of availability in one query.
Only in the premium version.

Originally Posted by VSLover
hah agreed! it was odd today--shortly after i posted i went to review my itin and it was suddenly unavailable "due to changes made outside aa.com" so i called and voila: SWU cleared on all portions SFO-MIA-LHR.

still odd to me that even though it cleared, at no point did the expertflyer notification i set ever come through--is there something aa is doing specifically with 777W SWU inventory that prevents them from ever appearing on expertflyer? this is probably the fourth or fifth time this has happened including other bookings i make by phone and they confirm the int'l SWU despite no availability on expert flyer.

thanks!
EF polls the inventory at regular intervals, not continuously. AA could have released C inventory, then used it to clear upgrades, all before EF did a check.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Stripe
Only in the premium version.
I always assume that everyone has the premium version. The monthly cost is so small as to be laughable, even if one is of modest means. Probably the best $9 I spend every month.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vasantn
Thanks. And yes, I have the premium version. It has paid itself off hundredfold in terms of upgrade value.

Another random SWU related Q - I think I have 0 remaining from last year, but AA.com says I have 1 SWU available (as did an EXP agent). If I have 1, I will use it on a domestic trip (777) instead of losing it, but if I don't - I do not want to use my SWUs from this year. Would writing to AA and getting a confirmation be the best approach?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:57 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thanks. And yes, I have the premium version. It has paid itself off hundredfold in terms of upgrade value.

Another random SWU related Q - I think I have 0 remaining from last year, but AA.com says I have 1 SWU available (as did an EXP agent). If I have 1, I will use it on a domestic trip (777) instead of losing it, but if I don't - I do not want to use my SWUs from this year. Would writing to AA and getting a confirmation be the best approach?
No. Letting it expire is, IMO, the best approach. Even if they were to confirm that you have it, you know that you don't, and they will likely catch up to this later and debit you one. They're very good about this. Because you'd have it in writing, you'd likely get it back, but it will be more hassle than it's worth.

If it is a trip for which you would use one of your new ones (and it seems not the case here), then no harm in doing it. If they catch it, you're in the same boat. But, barring that, I'd let used SWUs expire. I've done this in the past.

Cheers.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
No. Letting it expire is, IMO, the best approach. Even if they were to confirm that you have it, you know that you don't, and they will likely catch up to this later and debit you one. They're very good about this. Because you'd have it in writing, you'd likely get it back, but it will be more hassle than it's worth.

If it is a trip for which you would use one of your new ones (and it seems not the case here), then no harm in doing it. If they catch it, you're in the same boat. But, barring that, I'd let used SWUs expire. I've done this in the past.

Cheers.
Thanks. I would rather not burn a new one on LAX --> DFW, especially when I have a J seat already and have a good chance of a complementary UG to F.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stripe
What kind of a fare did you get? They are usually pretty reasonable on that route but not necessarily MR-worthy.

Unfortunately, no meal pre-order for you.
$242 AI for 4300 EQM. Not great, I know, but not the worst in the world either and it can be done in 1 day.

As for the pre-order. Not too worried, if I think I know what the offerings are. Also planning on grabbing a fish and chips in SEA during the layover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.