Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2014 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2014, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by tramm7
Newbie question. I apologize if answered elsewhere but tried searching the board for about an hour.

How likely do "paid" upgrades clear vs the complimentary ones given due to elite status? I used miles (and the obligatory fee) to request upgrade on DFW-FRA route on July 18. I have been wait-listed since I booked the trip in January.
By complimentary, do you mean the domestic 500-mi sticker upgrades or SWUs?

Elites can not use complimentary/sticker/500-mi. upgrades on most all long haul int'l flights such as DFW-FRA.

If you mean SWUs, there is only one upgrade waitlist comprised of both miles/copay upgrades (like yourself) and SWUs. This is generally ordered by elite status and time of request. So if you don't have status, you'd be behind all other elites on the waitlist, even if they just requested the upgrade today.

Even as an EXP who requested an upgrade in Jan., I wouldn't expect the upgrade to clear until at least a week to a few days before the flight. With no status, you're not likely to see anything until probably 1 or 2 days before till right up at the gate.
Old May 14, 2014, 2:46 am

Programs: IC RA, AA EXP
I'm currently T-71 hours to return on AA170 with a waitlisted SWU. Flight is currently showing F1 J7, with 15 seats still open in J. Wondering when they will start to open up the inventory.
Old May 14, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by grompf
I'm currently T-71 hours to return on AA170 with a waitlisted SWU. Flight is currently showing F1 J7, with 15 seats still open in J. Wondering when they will start to open up the inventory.
My two recent experiences were both about 2.5 days out.
Old May 14, 2014, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by SJC AA
My two recent experiences were both about 2.5 days out.
Sitting at around T-54 right now, showing F2 A1 J7, and they still havn't cleared anyone as far as I can tell.
Old May 14, 2014, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
AA Upgraded LAX-BOS

I'm a lowly gold, but flying the LAX-BOS red eyes three upcoming weekends in a row. Made upgrade requests months out. Does anyone have any experience on being upgraded to first as a gold with stickers?

I can do red eyes in MCE, but it would be nice to put the stickers to some use. :-)
Just a bit anxious, so if anyone has any insight on likelihood... :-)
Old May 14, 2014, 11:44 pm

I wouldn't hold my breath. That's a tough route.

BTW, there is a consolidated thread for upgrade chances in the AA forum:

<removed circular link post merge>

If you let us know exact dates we can provide more information. Thursday night? Friday night? Saturday night? Specific dates are even better. I assume based on your location that you will not be a through passenger at LAX?

Last edited by Microwave; May 15, 2014 at 2:54 am
Old May 15, 2014, 1:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Essentially zero. BOS LAX and vv is IMO the hardest route in the system to upgrade (though will be somewhat easier now that they increased frequency to 4 daily). As a Thru EXP on the redeye, my ug rate is less than 1/3.
Old May 15, 2014, 2:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by thenecropolist
I'm a lowly gold, but flying the LAX-BOS red eyes three upcoming weekends in a row. Made upgrade requests months out. Does anyone have any experience on being upgraded to first as a gold with stickers?

I can do red eyes in MCE, but it would be nice to put the stickers to some use. :-)
As AAdvantage is still operating as a distinct programme, this question is being moved over to the relevant thread in the pre-merger American Airlines forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old May 15, 2014, 3:07 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by thenecropolist

If you are flying on a Saturday LAXBOS is often an easy upgrade; otherwise don't expect it.
Old May 15, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MAH4546
If you are flying on a Saturday LAXBOS is often an easy upgrade; otherwise don't expect it.
I've done BOS-LAX a number of times over the past 3-4 months (probably 6?). I cleared it once via "stickers," (EXP), and the other times I either used miles + co-pay or sat in the back. This is a VERY tough route - I would argue even harder than JFK-LAX. On top of that, it uses 737's and 757's, so I wouldn't say the premium is really worth it for F unless you really need the sleep.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum / Marriott Lifetime Titanium / National Executive Elite / Avis President's Circle
Cleared last night at T-72 for AA 106 from JFK to LHR on Sat evening. I am 4 for 4 on Sat evening flights to LHR, 2 on the 772 and 2 on the 77W.

Business looks pretty open still.

Waitlisted on the way back on AA 105 on 5/28 - looks wide open, but way too soon to tell. I deliberately travel on odd days in order to increase my odds.
Old May 15, 2014, 8:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lanzz
Cleared last night at T-72 for AA 106 from JFK to LHR on Sat evening. I am 4 for 4 on Sat evening flights to LHR, 2 on the 772 and 2 on the 77W.

Business looks pretty open still.

Waitlisted on the way back on AA 105 on 5/28 - looks wide open, but way too soon to tell. I deliberately travel on odd days in order to increase my odds.
Interested how 5/28 goes as Monday is Memorial Day and also British holiday.
Old May 15, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by callmedtop
I've done BOS-LAX a number of times over the past 3-4 months (probably 6?). I cleared it once via "stickers," (EXP), and the other times I either used miles + co-pay or sat in the back. This is a VERY tough route - I would argue even harder than JFK-LAX. On top of that, it uses 737's and 757's, so I wouldn't say the premium is really worth it for F unless you really need the sleep.
Hmm. I'm flying once on Wednesday, once on Thursday, and once on Friday. I guess I might as well request upgrades also on the BOS-LAX daytime return.
Old May 15, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by callmedtop
It's such a long flight that while the product isn't worth a SWU, it's the only route without a nice F that I'll use it on.
Old May 15, 2014, 10:59 pm

T-26 to AA170. EF Is showing F3 A2 J6, yet I still havn't cleared or seen any movement on F availability or the seat map that would indicate anyone has.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.