Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Award travel from] The US to South Africa...without BA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
DOH is a terrible airport for connections.
Try connecting at PVG/PEK/BOM or ANY US airport international-international and make a comparison.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:09 pm
Suspended

I have, thank you. DOH is awful under any objective measure.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The new airport is finally open. It is massively better for economy class passengers. The lack of lounges currently makes it not so great for premium cabin passengers, though the gate are quite a bit nicer than the old hard stands.

Also, it is possible to price USA->Africa on a single award via DOH if QR publishes a fare on the route. I was quoted 37,500 one-way for PHL-DOH-JNB in Y this afternoon by an AA rep. And QR publishes fares to a whole bunch of cities in the USA.

Nice way to save on YQ flying on AAdvantage points.

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IFlyAlaska
Originally Posted by sbm12
Also, it is possible to price USA->Africa on a single award via DOH if QR publishes a fare on the route. I was quoted 37,500 one-way for PHL-DOH-JNB in Y this afternoon by an AA rep. And QR publishes fares to a whole bunch of cities in the USA.

Very good to know! Thanks sbm12.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by sbm12
The new airport is finally open. It is massively better for economy class passengers. The lack of lounges currently makes it not so great for premium cabin passengers, though the gate are quite a bit nicer than the old hard stands.

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.
Being quoted 37,500 AAdvantage miles by a front-line agent for PHL-DOH-JNB on QR means nothing. You don't have an award until it is actually ticketed.

I suspect that lots of AA partners have published routings that violate AAdvantage's third-zone transit rules. But an AAdvantage routing must not only comply with the published through-fare requirement, it must also comply with AAdvantage's third-zone routing rules.

That said, I do recall seeing some isolated posts indicating that a U.S. to Africa via the Middle East routing did get ticketed as a single award. But I think these were awards that somehow fell through the cracks; unless there is evidence that the AAdvantage program has created a new exception to the third-zone transit rules for North America-Africa awards, I would not count on being able to regularly achieve this through AAdvantage.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT (fmr CK), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
For future readers of this thread, it seems like this is now a confirmed exception to the "no third region" rule. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ds-2014-a.html for more details.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sk3x
For future readers of this thread, it seems like this is now a confirmed exception to the "no third region" rule. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ds-2014-a.html for more details.
This is excellent news. The original post for those who want to read more: http://hackmytrip.com/2014/06/even-b...ard-to-africa/
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
Wonder if this will also work for EY to SEZ. Been dying to go but the whole third region makes that trip very expensive.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by AZbba
Wonder if this will also work for EY to SEZ. Been dying to go but the whole third region makes that trip very expensive.
I doubt it. QR is a OW member while EY is not.
But it would be nice
Old Jun 19, 2014, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AZbba
It will not, the new exceptions are for QR only:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54131097@N07/14363216185/
Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat/2MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist. PA WorldPass
With thanks to Jon for his exceptionally helpful guidance, I can confirm that it's entirely possible to book North America-South Africa on QR without burning two awards. (I feel like that counts as something of a victory lap for taming the beast that would otherwise be BA redemption fees!)

My guidance to others: (a) use the BA tool to check availability for each sector individually on QR, and (b) check ALL North American gateways. Early in 2015, the PHL, MIA and DFW flights were offering many more seats than JFK and ORD. And most of the agents won't bring that to your attention.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ClipperJCM
With thanks to Jon for his exceptionally helpful guidance, I can confirm that it's entirely possible to book North America-South Africa on QR without burning two awards. (I feel like that counts as something of a victory lap for taming the beast that would otherwise be BA redemption fees!)

My guidance to others: (a) use the BA tool to check availability for each sector individually on QR, and (b) check ALL North American gateways. Early in 2015, the PHL, MIA and DFW flights were offering many more seats than JFK and ORD. And most of the agents won't bring that to your attention.
Always extremely grateful for the shout-out and always happy when a member can use great new info-- congrats! Of course I do feel obligated to point out that I learned of it from the original thread/post (from another thread) which was based on the discussion here:
http://blog.wandr.me/2014/06/better-...-award-africa/

But, again, congrats and thanks for the report!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ClipperJCM
My guidance to others: (a) use the BA tool to check availability for each sector individually on QR
Great advice. So we feed the AAgent each sector, but since AA doesn't allow one-way stopovers, I'm guessing you'll get the first available departure from Doha. Do you know what the longest possible layover can be? Or can you indeed get a stopover?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by SEAskyrider
Great advice. So we feed the AAgent each sector, but since AA doesn't allow one-way stopovers, I'm guessing you'll get the first available departure from Doha. Do you know what the longest possible layover can be? Or can you indeed get a stopover?
At international connection points the stop must be less than 24 hours.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by millionmiler
At international connection points the stop must be less than 24 hours.
Thanks, thought so. Will try to get the longest layover I can. Doha may not need more than 24 hours anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.