Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Consolidated) > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Merger)
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 8, 13, 10:07 pm   #1
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles & Orange County, CA
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum & Others
Posts: 20,322
Post New: Snack and Fruit Basket Now on Transcon Flights (In Addition to Meals)

Just flew LAX-BOS-LAX over the weekend. Both the breakfast and dinner flights now include a snack basket and a whole fruit snack basket. The offerings are similar if not identical to the items offered on international flights: Garret's popcorn, lemon cookies, chocolate, nuts, granola bars and some fresh fruit like banana, apple and orange.

Perhaps AA is getting ready for the merger tomorrow

Note that the fruit and snack baskets are in addition to the standard transcon offerings. Cookies and milk are still being served prior to arrival. Breakfast cheese plates before arrival and dinner fruit cups are the only things being eliminated.
BlissWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 13, 10:40 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Washington DC, DCA
Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
Posts: 2,163
Are sundaes still status quo? May seem like a silly question, but that's what I'm most concerned about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlissWorld View Post
Just flew LAX-BOS-LAX over the weekend. Both the breakfast and dinner flights now include a snack basket and a whole fruit snack basket. The offerings are similar if not identical to the items offered on international flights: Garret's popcorn, lemon cookies, chocolate, nuts, granola bars and some fresh fruit like banana, apple and orange.

Perhaps AA is getting ready for the merger tomorrow

Note that the fruit and snack baskets are in addition to the standard transcon offerings. Cookies and milk are still being served prior to arrival. Breakfast cheese plates before arrival and dinner fruit cups are the only things being eliminated.

Last edited by MrAndy1369; Dec 8, 13 at 11:14 pm..
MrAndy1369 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 13, 12:11 am   #3
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 19
I'm wondering if this is similar to the DL "basket" options offered as snacks on short-haul flights (e.g. peanuts, cape cod chips, bananas, etc)? Perhaps moving towards offering packaged snacks vs. prepared "snacks" for < 2.5 hr flights at certain times?

Hoping not!
nak_atx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 13, 12:29 am   #4
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: ORD
Posts: 494
And so it begins.

I think this is an inauspicious sign of the coming times.
Bttc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 13, 12:36 am   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles & Orange County, CA
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum & Others
Posts: 20,322
This is actually a true "enhancement." As I stated in my OP, the snack baskets are in addition to the meals being served, nothing is really being cut. They make the snacks, including fresh fruit, available in the galley after the initial meal service just like they would on international flights. I find it to be a nice addition
BlissWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 13, 1:02 am   #6
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: SNA; AA EXP
Programs: aa exp, spg plat, HH silver
Posts: 149
I flew LAX-JFK-LAX over the weekend. This is an enhancement, although it was done differently on each flight. LAX-JFK they brought out the cart which had the cookies and milk as well as the fruit basket and snack basket. On the JFK-LAX flight they brought the cookies in milk on the tray as before then came through with the fruit basket and then the snack basket. Either way, it was an addition to the cookies and milk.
TimF10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 13, 1:23 am   #7
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, IC Amb, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlissWorld View Post
This is actually a true "enhancement." As I stated in my OP, the snack baskets are in addition to the meals being served, nothing is really being cut. They make the snacks, including fresh fruit, available in the galley after the initial meal service just like they would on international flights. I find it to be a nice addition
I really hate to be cynical, but it's part of my nature.

I agree with Bttc that this is more worrisome then not. Yes, nothing is being cut -- yet -- but I have not-so-fond memories of my recent 2-to-3-hour US trips in F where nothing but a snack basket was offered.

If AA keeps the snack basket and the meals permanently, then it's an enhancement. But I think many of us are afraid that Parkerized AA will use the snack basket as an excuse to reduce the frequency of meal service, and this enhancement will become an "enhancement."
__________________
My FlightMemory (1999-2012) ~ My OpenFlights (1999- )
mikew99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 13, 1:39 am   #8
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, UA urine (PP), A3 *G, AmEx Plat, *$G (Starbucks Gold)
Posts: 4,740
Saw this today on JFK-LAX. Unfortunately, saw it from 20A as business was sold out (and ended up very high on the upgrade list for 0 seats).
amolkold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 13, 6:53 am   #9
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: los angeles
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM
Posts: 1,379
I think the previous fresh fruit plate was far better than this enhancement.
__________________
AA EXP, 4MM ,Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
Delta 2MM[Lifetime Gold, but no longer active]
mmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 13, 8:13 am   #10
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: AAdvantage EXECPLAT
Posts: 412
havent experienced this yet, but i find the fruit/cheese plates to be a classy touch. i will miss them
AANYC1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 14, 4:58 pm   #11
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 7,396
I frankly like the addition of the whole fruit basket! (But selfishly, I was never much of a cheese and cracker guy. I'd much rather have an orange before I take my nap, then wake up and have a banana before landing. )
__________________
Join the FT Kiva team!
JY1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 14, 8:34 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: CA--SPG Plat100---AA EXP 5MM/Lifetime Plat/DL CharterDM,nowPM
Posts: 651
And the quality of the chocolates is pretty impressive, too! Not like the Delta snack basket Halloween candy!
__________________
Calif.; AA EXP/5 MM/Lifetime Plat/ DL Charter DM-thenPM-nowGM/SPG Plat100-Lifetime Gold
Crazy4Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 14, 10:18 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: AUS
Programs: AA Exec Platinum, DL Platinum/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 4,620
They had a snack basket with the cookies, chips, candies, fresh fruit, etc both ways between LAX and MIA over a month ago. As noted above, it's the same collection of very good stuff they offer on international flights, and was set up in the galley between J and F. We also got the pre-landing fresh-baked cookie.

Ironically, I connected to/from MIA-SCL and SCL-MIA on that trip and they did NOT have the snack basket during those flights.
__________________
2014 Upgrades: AA 34/34 comp, 4/4 domestic SWU, 2/2 intl SWU; DL 0/0
2006-14 Flight Stats
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 14, 7:14 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
They had a snack basket with the cookies, chips, candies, fresh fruit, etc both ways between LAX and MIA over a month ago. As noted above, it's the same collection of very good stuff they offer on international flights, and was set up in the galley between J and F. We also got the pre-landing fresh-baked cookie.

Ironically, I connected to/from MIA-SCL and SCL-MIA on that trip and they did NOT have the snack basket during those flights.
Also SFO/MIA on the 763 has the snack basket.
newyorkgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 14, 7:37 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: lax
Posts: 3,301
If you are flying in a premium cabin, come hungry!
skylady is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:48 am.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.