Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Route and General Discussion new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Routes

ATTENTION! Before you post...
This thread is for the general discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes.

Discussion about upgrades on the DFW-HKG flights are here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion
Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

"In summer 2014, we plan to introduce new nonstop service between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Hong Kong (HKG), a first for any U.S. carrier. Plus, enjoy a world-class travel experience to Hong Kong on our brand new Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. Check back soon for booking details."

First DFW-HKG flight on June 11, 2014. First HKG-DFW flight on June 13, 2014.

Schedule will be as under, subject to approvals (source airlineroute.net):
● AA137 Departing Dallas 12:45PM arriving Hong Kong 6:05PM (+1 day) [duration 16:20]
● AA138 Departing Hong Kong 1:30PM arriving Dallas 4:30PM [duration 16:00]
● 8,111 AAdvantage miles in each direction

"We plan to introduce new service between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Shanghai (PVG), with flights beginning [on 11 June 2014]. We're excited to be the first U.S. carrier to offer this convenient nonstop route, which will complement existing service between our Chicago (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX) hubs and Shanghai. Booking details available soon." Date as per 17 Oct 2013 filing with USDOT.

Schedule will be:
● Departing Dallas 10:55AM arriving Shanghai 2:55PM (+1 day) [duration 15:00]
● Departing Shanghai 4:50PM arriving Dallas 6:10PM [duration 14:20]
● 7,351 AAdvantage miles in each direction

In addition to these new routes, we currently offer you even more convenient nonstop flights to top destinations in Asia, including flights between:

Tokyo Narita (NRT) and Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Chicago (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX)
Tokyo Haneda (HND) and New York Kennedy (JFK) (to be dropped Nov 29)
Beijing (PEK) and Chicago (ORD)
Seoul (ICN) and Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
Shanghai (PVG) and Chicago (ORD) Los Angeles (LAX) (not mentioned from AA announcement)
Print Wikipost

DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I predict that these flights will not be successful over the long term. If HKG and PVG made sense from DFW, then Delta would be starting HKG and PVG from ATL, which would be only slightly longer than these over-the-top long-haul routes. Instead, Delta is beginning an Asian build-up from SEA and not ATL.

For the same reasons, UA isn't starting routes to HKG and PVG from IAH.
Hmm.

DL 777: 45J/36Y+/188Y
DL 747: 48J/42Y+/286Y
DL A332: 34J/32Y+/168Y
AA 77W: 8F/52J/30Y+/220Y

Apparently AA thinks they can sell a lot of premium seats on these routes, because that's the only way those would work. (I'm comparing the AA plane that will have to fly that route against potential DL planes that would fly it.)

A 16 hour flight in the back in 3-4-3 Y... ugh.

The good news is is if it DOESN'T work well, presumably there will be some award seats available before the flight is cancelled...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 16, 2013 at 12:36 pm Reason: my bad, it's 16 hours, not 14
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
CX has a very decent Indian network. It would be awesome if AA allows flyers to use HKG to connect to India. AA please interline, codeshare and allow award redemption though HKG for India. While this might not have been AA's intension, the flight times seem to work well.

The flight could be expensive and high yielding given it can serve a lot of purpose.
- O&D DFW-HKG
- USA to HKG
- Latin America to HKG
- USA to India

Last edited by Xero; Oct 16, 2013 at 12:28 pm
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:55 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nkedel
D'oh... too early out of DFW to get there from the West Coast same day...
Not true.

AA 1118 SJC-DFW arrives at 11:55AM
AA 2278 SFO-DFW arrives at 11:35AM

Both within the MCT for DFW for D->I, AFAIK.

Cheers.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by nall
Will there no longer be any AA service to Asia from NY?
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Bahaha, I won't be surprised if I fly that 4-6 times a year now
Very happy to see the service, need to see what date is the inaugural but would love to be on it if possible.
I have the feeling DFW-HKG just became the hardest route to burn a EVIP the moment they fly it.

just like UA, from/to HKG is always the hardest routine to burn SWU, eVIP will be the same
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Microwave
Schedule will be as under, subject to approvals:

Departing Dallas 12:40PM arriving Hong Kong 6:00PM (+1 day)
Departing Hong Kong 1:30PM arriving Dallas 4:30PM

Departing Dallas 10:55AM arriving Shanghai 2:55PM (+1 day)
Departing Shanghai 4:55PM arriving Dallas 2:55PM

Times are ok for East Coast, AA really made sure the times connect well for South America flights more though
I would have love a red-eye ex-DFW but that would screw up the scheduling

Originally Posted by keepssmile
Probably because DFW-NRT is AA's only money making route into Asia...
I was hoping ORD-PVG at least had a shot of breaking even
Now that the heavy money loser HND-JFK is gone,
Where's the next cut, I can't see ORD-PEK making any money either

Originally Posted by sts603
I'm not at all:

(1) Far less competition from UA and Asian carriers at DFW
(2) The country is moving south as a general matter so DFW closer to growing feed
(3) The economy in Texas has been growing and will continue to grow as long as Texas remains a low-regulation, low-tax, business-friendly state - thus compounding the advantage of (2)
True true

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Hmm.

Apparently AA thinks they can sell a lot of premium seats on these routes, because that's the only way those would work. (I'm comparing the AA plane that will have to fly that route against potential DL planes that would fly it.)

A 14 hour flight in the back in 3-4-3 Y... ugh.

The good news is is if it DOESN'T work well, presumably there will be some award seats available before the flight is cancelled...
I think you forgot the most important player in the HKG - US market?
CX 4 Class 77W: 6F/53J/34Y+/182Y
CX 3 Class 77W: 40J/32Y+/268Y
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA EXP
D'oh... too early out of DFW to get there from the West Coast same day, and too late into HKG to have daytime connections into SE Asia. Still will beat connecting via NRT with very late arrivals.

Was about to comment on the schedule, and I defntly agree with you.

This makes connecting and arriving at other destination a very late arrivals.

and taking an early flight, for those of us who are working, means wasting 1 day of PTO
But other than that it is a GREAT news. can't wait!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:10 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Shanghai "Shangapore" twice, and then Singapore, before correcting herself with Shanghai
Shagapore would have been even funnier!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Spiff
Shagapore would have been even funnier!
DFW-SIN woud have been greatest news, I dont care if AA call it Shagapore!
or whatever their copywriter feels like calling it.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by lisa2926
just like UA, from/to HKG is always the hardest routine to burn SWU, eVIP will be the same
Not necessarily. The F/J to Y ratio will be better on AA than UA. Furthermore, the dynamics of the feed may be different. I doubt it will be easy but not sure we can say it just jumps up to hardest route to upgrade, especially for EXPs (I think DFW/LAX-LHR take the cake for that for EXPs - might be different for lower level).
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by brp
Not true.

AA 1118 SJC-DFW arrives at 11:55AM
AA 2278 SFO-DFW arrives at 11:35AM

Both within the MCT for DFW for D->I, AFAIK.

Cheers.
I stand corrected, and that's good news. I assume there's something similar from LAX.

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
I think you forgot the most important player in the HKG - US market?
CX 4 Class 77W: 6F/53J/34Y+/182Y
CX 3 Class 77W: 40J/32Y+/268Y
Of course, their Y+ is a real premium economy (and priced as such), and not just extra-legroom, and their Y isn't 10-across Y-.

Originally Posted by combiblock
Was about to comment on the schedule, and I defntly agree with you.

This makes connecting and arriving at other destination a very late arrivals.

and taking an early flight, for those of us who are working, means wasting 1 day of PTO
Not super, but CX has 8pm-ish departures to SIN/BKK/MNL, all of which get in earlier than the comparable JL connections out of NRT. That's a small something, at least.

Nope, there are plenty of available, unallocated frequencies to PVG and PEK that CO could have grabbed and that UA could have grabbed following the merger. HKG? As UA already has three flights to HKG (SFO, ORD and EWR), it could have easily obtained rights to begin IAH if the finances made sense.
If my plans are set for 2014, I may go back to HKG once every two weeks. This route trumps the UA with especially with its 77W! They could count me to fly 26 times a year to HKG.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Oct 16, 2013 at 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
The timing looks good. Nice that i can now get Alaska EQM to HKG. MCE is good. i'm not sure how i'm going to survive my Beijing flight in regular Y.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
I predict that these flights will not be successful over the long term. If HKG and PVG made sense from DFW, then Delta would be starting HKG and PVG from ATL, which would be only slightly longer than these over-the-top long-haul routes. Instead, Delta is beginning an Asian build-up from SEA and not ATL.

For the same reasons, UA isn't starting routes to HKG and PVG from IAH.
I do agree in that I'm not as sanguine about the DFW-PVG flight long-term (though a B789 might do the trick).

I do believe DFW-HKG will be a successful-especially with a B789. The B77W is the only plane in the fleet which will probably be able to fly DFW-HKG with decent range/payload. Also other reasons (see below).

I'm not at all:

(1) Far less competition from UA and Asian carriers at DFW
(2) The country is moving south as a general matter so DFW closer to growing feed
(3) The economy in Texas has been growing and will continue to grow as long as Texas remains a low-regulation, low-tax, business-friendly state - thus compounding the advantage of (2)
^

Originally Posted by keepssmile
Probably because DFW-NRT is AA's only money making route into Asia...
What about DFW-ICN?

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Hmm.

A 14 hour flight in the back in 3-4-3 Y... ugh.

IMHO, only the B77W is the only plane in the fleet which will probably be able to fly DFW-HKG with decent range/payload

EK flies LAX/SFO-DXB with their 3-4-3 B77W's-it hasn't really stopped them. Actually, 3-4-3 isn't all that bad.

Originally Posted by Xero
CX has a very decent Indian network. It would be awesome if AA allows flyers to use HKG to connect to India. AA please interline, codeshare and allow award redemption though HKG for India. While this might not have been AA's intension, the flight times seem to work well.
I wouldn't be surprised if AA/CX do some kind of JV/ATI down the road. They do work rather closely as it is.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:25 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I stand corrected, and that's good news. I assume there's something similar from LAX.
Oh yeah, I guess that's the west coast, too. I tend to forget about LA

Two flights

2410, 2420, both meet the MCT.

Cheers.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:35 pm

Not necessarily. The F/J to Y ratio will be better on AA than UA. Furthermore, the dynamics of the feed may be different. I doubt it will be easy but not sure we can say it just jumps up to hardest route to upgrade, especially for EXPs (I think DFW/LAX-LHR take the cake for that for EXPs - might be different for lower level).
If DFW-NRT, DFW-ICN allows a lot of eVIPs to clear, I am not sure DFW-HKG becomes the toughest route to upgrade. A huge amount of traffic comes directly from NYC area(4x ex-JFK, soon 1x ex-EWR), so taking me to DFW is definitely fine especially you can almost have almost 9500 EQM for one-way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.