Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Help! AA Put Incorrect Baggage Allowance on OneWorld Explorer Award

Old Oct 22, 2013, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL

Please verify my logic is right in calculating the baggage allowance for the following OneWorld Explorer award, as my calculation is different that what AA put in the PNR. I asked the agent, and she called the RTW desk, who then said that it's a tariffs issue and that I should make a dry-run to the airport to get the real scoop. In the normal FT manner, I said "thank you," "have a great evening," and hung up.

If my logic is correct, please tell me how I should maneuver my way to get the right allowance put in. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Itinerary
All flights are in business class, except for the last segment, which is in domestic first class
PHL-BA-LHR-IB-MAD
MAD-IB-LHR-QF-DXB
DXB-CX-HKG-CX-MNL
MNL-CX-HKG-CX-BKK
BKK-CX-HKG
HKG-CX-ICN
ICN-JL-NRT-JL-LAX
LAX-AA-ORD

My Calculation
* This is a trip originating and terminating in the USA. So, the baggage allowance that the first marketing carrier selects is what's used for all subsequent trips, per US DOT Ruling 399.87.
* British Airways is the first carrier and determines whose baggage rules to apply. BA is the MSC as it's the first carrier that crosses IATA conference areas, TC1 to TC2. BA's baggage allowance for business class passengers is 3 x 70 lbs.
* So, the baggage allowance is 3 x 70 lbs. for all segments.

What AA Says in English
* In English: BA's allowance for segments between PHL and MNL is 3 x 70 lbs. BUT, BA's allowance for segments between MNL and ORD is 1 x 50 lbs., which an excess baggage fee of $100.

What AA Says in My Trip Receipt
* Baggage charges for your itinerary will be governed by British Airways BAG ALLOWANCE -PHLMNL-03 Pieces/ British Airways /EACH PIECE UP TO 70 POUNDS/32 KILOGRAMS AND UP TO 81 LINEAR INCHES/208 LINEAR CENTIMETERS BAG ALLOWANCE -MNLORD-01 Piece/ British Airways /EACH PIECE UP TO 50 POUNDS/23 KILOGRAMS AND UP TO 81 LINEAR INCHES/208 LINEAR CENTIMETERS 2NDCHECKED BAG FEE-MNLORD-USD100.00/ British Airways /UP TO 50 POUNDS/23 KILOG RAMS AND UP TO 81 LINEAR INCHES/208 LINEAR CENTIMETERS** **BAG FEES APPLY AT EACH CHECK IN LOCATION

Where I Think AA Screwed Up
* The allowance applied for segments from PHL to MNL, 3 x 70 lbs., was BA's allowance for business class.
* The allowance applied for segments from MNL to ORD, 1 x 50 lbs., was BA's allowance for coach class.
* Just the existence of differing baggage allowances on this trip is also a violation of US DOT Ruling 399.87.

Sources:
http://www.iata.org/services/finance...ut-Baggage.pdf
* Page 5
http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/...age-allowances
http://www.iflybags.com/
* Entering PHL-MNL on BA J yields 3 x 70 lbs.
* Entering MNL-ORD on BA J yields 3 x 70 lbs.
* Entering MNL-ORD on BA Y yields 1 x 50 lbs.

Last edited by Wiirachay; Oct 22, 2013 at 8:10 pm
Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I think your calucations are correct, my impression as always been, the baggage rules apply thru out your entire trip based on the first airline you fly.. could be wrong..had an issue with BA a while ago, told them that this is what AA lets me check in, the agent, after a short talk to her boss, let it go... (and that was out of BOM) amazing
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
A resolution desk agent called me regarding something else, and I pointed her to the baggage issue. She immediately corrected it and said that the baggage allowance is 3 x 70 lbs.. Whew.

I can't believe this day and age, mistakes like these are made.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.