Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking to stick with AA to gain Executive Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2001, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Location: DFW AA Platinum,Delta Gold Medallion,Northwest Silver,Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum.
Thinking to stick with AA to gain Executive Platinum

Hello,
I have posted a post in Delta's forum about my next year's plan to stick with one airline. I do not know how to post the link here sorry.

I have heard a few good things about AA treating their Executive Platinum. I have a feeling that I will probably qualify for the 100k limit, I read that there is no such thing as Executive Platinum Challenge, my question to the AA flying public is that if I do the Platinum challenge next year and when i complete it, How will AA know that I am doing a challenge, and also, If I do make it with 10k Q points or 20k miles, will I only have to fly another 80k to qualify for Executive Platinum? I have gained Platinum for 3 years now the with flying 50 or 51k miles. I also qualify for Delta's GOld for flying 50 or 51k.

Comments are apprecaited.
Thanks in advance
Old Nov 16, 2001, 6:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

EXP must always be accomplished with 100k Q-points or actual flight miles. The Platinum (or Gold) challenge will have no effect at all on your progress for EXP status.

Is EXP worth it? So far, I've only been an EXP for a month or so, but it's definitely a step up from PLT.

I always thought the Platinum desk had some nice and knowledgeable agents, but the EXP desk blows them away on the service side.

The Flagship Lounges are also very nice, a step up from the Admiral's Club.

Finally, as EXP you'll get the coveted VIPOW awards, which is just great. On a planned Easter '02 trip [domestic], there was no mileage upgrade inventory available, but using VIPOW, I could be booked into non-capacity controlled First class. Very very nice.
Old Nov 16, 2001, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Location: DFW AA Platinum,Delta Gold Medallion,Northwest Silver,Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum.
Plato90s, Thank you for the quick response.

I have read in Fewmiles' website about these VIPWs. Looks like they are worth every penny!

I will have about 2 months to think about my plan and AA definately is on the top of my list.
Old Nov 16, 2001, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I'm just a Platinum, with no hope of ever getting EXP. But I love AA.

AS to your direct questions...
You can call AA to register for the challenges - this is how they will know that you are doing one. You MUST register to be made Platinum quickly.

Once you've made Platinum on the 10k Q points (20k discount coach miles or 10k Y fare miles) you will then only have to fly the remaining 90k q-points to get EXP. If you did it on discount miles it only 80k more miles.

------------------
I Love New York
Old Nov 16, 2001, 7:56 am

Travel01

Your profile sez you are AA Platinum. If so there would be no AA Plat challenge for you next year, no need for it as you already have that status. As noted, nothing in the challenge would benefit your efforts to get to EP, except the miles/points you would have accrued will add to that end, but no short cut.

Although we have seen all of the cutbacks of various services, I believe the airlines will try to charm their customers more than ever before, within the economics of trying to recover.

EP is the true pinnacle for FF'ers. I hope you decide to do it, and I wish you success.
Old Nov 16, 2001, 8:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
I absolutely agree. Compared to the stingy benefits of UA 1K , AA's EP stands out.
1. 8 VIPOWs instead of 6 SWU
2. 8 vipows if you qualify this year and next year too.
3. The EP desk is infinitely better than 1K desk
4. I always get a better recognition as an EP than as 1K
5. In ternational travel allows use of Flagship and First class lounges whereas 1K restricts you to RCC and business class lounges
Downside
1.MD80s
2. Tail fins may detach
Old Nov 16, 2001, 10:16 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Redhead:
I'm just a Platinum, with no hope of ever getting EXP. But I love AA.

</font>
You can do it.

I never thought I'd get to Gold and now I'll have over 150,000 miles this year.
Old Nov 16, 2001, 10:18 am
askworldtraveler

former DL GM - I've been an AA EXP since the beginning- hands down the best program - because after the great perks - the majority of the AA staff, especially on the EXP desk are great. Delta lost me years ago - and I fly them only when they have a lock on the city (like Salt Lake) - AA has always gone the extra effort at times when I've needed their help. OK, so I like AA Good luck -

------------------
Askworldtraveler, EXP,4 million AA miles+++Hilton Gold (thanks to EXP)

Old Nov 16, 2001, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by drbala:
...Downside
...2. Tail fins may detach
</font>
OUCH!

(Does UA fly the A300?)

Old Nov 16, 2001, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC LT Titanium, IHG Spire, HY Glbist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by drbala:
Downside
1.MD80s
2. Tail fins may detach
</font>
1. I guess you love the F100?
2. Ouch is right!

Old Nov 16, 2001, 9:24 pm

Drbala: I believe you said it right on the service points for EXP. I've found it addictive and my goal, every Jan 1, is to fly AA exclusively until I hit the 100K. That said, UA has an easier FF program to access, IMO, with only 20K needed for a domestic RT upgrade on any fare.

The tail fin thing is not a service item, but nevertheless a reality check. Probably doesn't relate to whatever status you are. It's painful and I, personally, don't want to go there on this post.

------------------
AAExecPlat; Lifetime AAirpass; 3MillMiles; UApremier-PassPlus
Old Nov 17, 2001, 2:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
Fullfare
I forgot another important perk of AA
You get 4 Domestic upgrades with each 10000 miles flown which can be immediately converted to 2500 miles each. Compare this to UA

I entirely agree that it is not AA's fault. I think Airbus must face stricter FAA controls and a class action suite for their numerous crashes.
Old Nov 17, 2001, 3:15 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
exp is worth it. ... the vip2's were great, vipow's are good, but the plat service centers have saved us at least 4 times in the last 2 years by getting us on other flights at the last minute which got us on the ships. [baggage made it all but once]. note - 1st yr did 20k mileage run to get it after getting no info from cust service. the info i got should not have lured me to do the run but i was close [needed 15k] & i said what the heck. as it turned out, the vip2's were a surprise & made the run worthwhile. however, i didn't get an extra set for first time qual. go for it!

[This message has been edited by clacko (edited 11-17-2001).]
Old Nov 17, 2001, 3:55 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
I entirely agree that it is not AA's fault. I think Airbus must face stricter FAA controls and a class action suite for their numerous crashes.</font>
Two questions:

1) What facts do you have access to that makes you qualified to conclude at this point that it was not AA's fault but Airbus'? I didn't know that even the NTSB had been able to establish this yet.

2) What numerous crashes are you referring to?
Old Nov 17, 2001, 7:01 am

Programs: CX GR; AA Life GLD, EXP; SPG Life GLD, PLT
I MISSED FLYERTALKERS!!

Some people know that I made my first-in-my-life RTW trip and now possibly 15-18K short to become EXP and planning to make a Asia run to make it. It is too bad that since it is December when I will qualify so I can only get 8 VIPOWs. But... is the EXP and 8 VIPOWs worth the run already?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.