Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (consolidated 2012-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (consolidated 2012-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by DWFI
Of course, we would like to say blah blah you will lose me as an EXP because I can't upgrade my $250 transcon one-ways. Is there anywhere to go though? UA Ex-JFK upgrades are not free and good luck upgrading ex-EWR. And Skypesos? Please. The reality is that I will simply connect more in order to maintain my upgrade rate. AA will not lose me as a customer.
I fly JFK<->SFO once a month. There's no way I'm going to connect. If I'm not going to be able to reliably upgrade, that's fine--I'll just compare coach products. At that point, it's hard to imagine choosing AA. B6 and VX both have much better coach products; not sure about UA and DL, but I'd have to take a closer look to make the comparison. The main thing AA has going for it is its frequent flier program, so if that's not providing much benefit then it's time to take a look at what the overall landscape looks like on this route.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone seen the number of 32Bs on order (i.e. A321s with the transcon interior)?

Last edited by hillrider; Sep 2, 2013 at 10:24 am Reason: Dyslexia pointed out by Microwave in post #111 below (thanks)!
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Jacobin777
What about B6 and VX however?
OK, sure. Well, VX doesn't have the network or frequency or the FF program/agreements. B6 is one class service and I fail to see why B6 Y is better than AA 321T MCE or even 738 MCE.

Originally Posted by jordyn
I fly JFK<->SFO once a month. There's no way I'm going to connect. If I'm not going to be able to reliably upgrade, that's fine--I'll just compare coach products. At that point, it's hard to imagine choosing AA.
Your choice. It's a different calculus for everyone.
I fly between coasts pretty often (3-5 roundtrips a month). Generally my city-pairs are BOS/JFK/PHL/EWR --- SFO/SJC/LAX/SEA, depending on where exactly I am and where I am going.

Since UA got destroyed in the merger, I use AA almost exclusively and so I've basically relegated myself to connecting. It's fine. WiFi and F class makes me productive, as opposed to E+ and no wifi on UA.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 12:05 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by hillrider
Has anyone seen the number of A3Bs on order (i.e. A321s with the transcon interior)?
From a news story when the interiors were announced, "These Airbus A321, whose number has not been announced..."
Old Sep 2, 2013, 1:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Has anyone seen the number of A3Bs on order (i.e. A321s with the transcon interior)?
The three-letter code being used for these is 32B, not A3B.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: All Around Nobody
The XLS on Airbus' website (curr to May 31 2013) lists AA as having orders for 130 A321

http://www.airbus.com/no_cache/compa...rs-deliveries/
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope. As dayone pointed out, nobody (who is talking) knows.

Originally Posted by dayone
From a news story when the interiors were announced, "These Airbus A321, whose number has not been announced..."
Agree. AA has disclosed for the last several months that it expects to have five of them in service by the end of the year (but their entry into service has been delayed until January).

Originally Posted by Aaron01
The XLS on Airbus' website (curr to May 31 2013) lists AA as having orders for 130 A321

http://www.airbus.com/no_cache/compa...rs-deliveries/
Despite that entry on the Airbus site, the order is actually 130 A319s/A321s. Industry insiders have said that AA intends to take delivery of 65 of each. The 65 A321s include the non-transcon versions. Accordingly, we don't know the answer to hillrider's question.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
I fly JFK<->SFO once a month. There's no way I'm going to connect. If I'm not going to be able to reliably upgrade, that's fine--I'll just compare coach products. At that point, it's hard to imagine choosing AA. B6 and VX both have much better coach products; not sure about UA and DL, but I'd have to take a closer look to make the comparison. The main thing AA has going for it is its frequent flier program, so if that's not providing much benefit then it's time to take a look at what the overall landscape looks like on this route.
I believe that is what many are going to do and IMHO, AA will have to optimize its fleet for the route.

IMHO AA's A321T in Y won't be too bad.

OK, sure. Well, VX doesn't have the network or frequency or the FF program/agreements. B6 is one class service and I fail to see why B6 Y is better than AA 321T MCE or even 738 MCE.
VX might not have the frequency or FF like AA does, but VX does fly the route and is known for its excellent service.

IIRC, I wouldn't be surprised if B6 starts flying their new A321's on said route as well.

I think AA is hoping that it will be able to increase yields and decrease costs (obviously trip costs are going to be much lower than B762's and B763's) by flying the A321T's.

36 Y and 36 MCE's (using seatguru) is quite low.

I hope AA pulls it off but I'm not as sanguine as AA is.

We'll see what happens.

Last edited by Jacobin777; Sep 2, 2013 at 11:16 pm Reason: Sentence error.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 10:02 am

OK, sure. Well, VX doesn't have the network or frequency or the FF program/agreements.
Their frequent flier program is pretty lame, but I've at least been able to use it to upgrade to F at a reasonable price most of the times I've flown them. Being able to redeem on OneWorld is a really nice perk of AA, but I'm not sure it makes up for dealing with a crap Y product on a regular basis. It's possible that the AA 32B Y product will be better than VX in Y.

B6 is one class service and I fail to see why B6 Y is better than AA 321T MCE or even 738 MCE.
More legroom, better IFE, generally nicer and more enthusiastic employees.

Since UA got destroyed in the merger, I use AA almost exclusively and so I've basically relegated myself to connecting. It's fine. WiFi and F class makes me productive, as opposed to E+ and no wifi on UA.
Yeah, I don't see myself shifting any flights to UA. Now that AA has MCE on most flights, there's really no upside to flying UA.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
As I've posted elsewhere, I have an itinerary in February that includes a Red Eye segment on the LAX-JFK A321 (at the moment I am the only reserved seat on the seat map in all classes). All my other flights (into international J) have been upgraded with eVIPs but this one. I suspect any upgrades for a while will be held back until days prior to the flights, or even at the gate so loads and demand can be balanced in the transition from B767s. With fewer premium seats, but more departures, it will take a while to know exactly what the migrations will be.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Microwave
The three-letter code being used for these is 32B, not A3B.
Whoops....we don't want the dear A300s back in the fleet, do we?

Corrected post. Thanks.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Despite that entry on the Airbus site, the order is actually 130 A319s/A321s. Industry insiders have said that AA intends to take delivery of 65 of each. The 65 A321s include the non-transcon versions. Accordingly, we don't know the answer to hillrider's question.
Thanks all. So we can't surmise what a full schedule might look like.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
VX has unacceptable legroom for laptopping or anyone over 6'. B6 has no power or wifi. For the business traveler, the choice is between AA, UA (go to Newark? hah!), or DL (skypesos).
Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SJC AA
VX has unacceptable legroom for laptopping or anyone over 6'. B6 has no power or wifi. For the business traveler, the choice is between AA, UA (go to Newark? hah!), or DL (skypesos).
Doesn't VX have 38" pitch in its Economy Main Cabin Select (the equivalent of MCE/Y+/EC)? In my recollection it was quite an excellent Y experience.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Their frequent flier program is pretty lame, but I've at least been able to use it to upgrade to F at a reasonable price most of the times I've flown them. Being able to redeem on OneWorld is a really nice perk of AA, but I'm not sure it makes up for dealing with a crap Y product on a regular basis. It's possible that the AA 32B Y product will be better than VX in Y.

More legroom, better IFE, generally nicer and more enthusiastic employees.

Yeah, I don't see myself shifting any flights to UA. Now that AA has MCE on most flights, there's really no upside to flying UA.
I can get upgrades for free on AA as EXP?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.