Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Consolidated) > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Merger)
Sign in using an external account

Old Sep 2, 13, 9:05 pm   #121
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, some other CCs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordyn View Post
Their frequent flier program is pretty lame, but I've at least been able to use it to upgrade to F at a reasonable price most of the times I've flown them. Being able to redeem on OneWorld is a really nice perk of AA, but I'm not sure it makes up for dealing with a crap Y product on a regular basis. It's possible that the AA 32B Y product will be better than VX in Y.

More legroom, better IFE, generally nicer and more enthusiastic employees.

Yeah, I don't see myself shifting any flights to UA. Now that AA has MCE on most flights, there's really no upside to flying UA.
I can get upgrades for free on AA as EXP?
Old Sep 2, 13, 10:34 pm   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 View Post
I can get upgrades for free on AA as EXP?
If you get upgrades, they're free. Agreed.

But I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. If you look back in the thread, you'll see the current discussion is about what happens if upgrades on AA stop being reasonably reliable. JFK<->SFO is already fairly tough, even for EXPs. On the 763s, I almost always use miles+copay to upgrade myself rather than risk waiting for the upgrade lottery because I've cleared well under 50% of the time otherwise.
jordyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 13, 1:19 am   #123
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: Primarily AA EXP, Hilton Gold, National Executive. Also CX Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, AS & BA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillrider View Post
Whoops....we don't want the dear A300s back in the fleet, do we?
On dear please no...
Microwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 13, 2:05 am   #124

Programs: AA (EXP); AB
For dates next year with the A321 I keep seeing consistently higher prices (about $100 for the booking class available) for Europe-LAX routes connecting through JFK (MXP/ZRH/LHR/CDG -JFK-LAX) than for the nonstops from LHR or connections via ORD/DFW.
They obviously believe they can command a premium price even in non-premium cabins on the A321 route. We'll see how that pans out. Anyway, I'll give it a try. Not holding my breath for getting upgraded, though unless burning an SWU.
bhomburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 13, 9:41 am   #125

Programs: AS MVP; AA GLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhomburg View Post
For dates next year with the A321 I keep seeing consistently higher prices (about $100 for the booking class available) for Europe-LAX routes connecting through JFK (MXP/ZRH/LHR/CDG -JFK-LAX) than for the nonstops from LHR or connections via ORD/DFW.
They obviously believe they can command a premium price even in non-premium cabins on the A321 route. We'll see how that pans out. Anyway, I'll give it a try. Not holding my breath for getting upgraded, though unless burning an SWU.
LAX-JFK has had a premium for a while now. I'm not sure it has anything to do with the 32B because even with the 762s they're charging more than VX, DL, UA
Aaron01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 13, 12:04 pm   #126

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
A tenth daily frequency is now open for booking starting 12 February 2014; also using an A321.
MAH4546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 13, 12:30 pm   #127
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
A tenth daily frequency is now open for booking starting 12 February 2014; also using an A321.
That is some fantastic news!

Perhaps we will see something resembling an hourly shuttle sometime next spring.
FWAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 13, 12:53 pm   #128

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillrider View Post
Doesn't VX have 38" pitch in its Economy Main Cabin Select (the equivalent of MCE/Y+/EC)? In my recollection it was quite an excellent Y experience.
Yes, BUT they charge a much, much higher premium for MCS than JetBlue does for Even More Space or AA does for Main Cabin Extra. Often several hundred or more.

(And on JetBlue, even the cheap seats have ~34" pitch.)
SJC AA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 13, 8:11 pm   #129

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EXPLAT; SPG: PLAT; HY: DIA; HH: GLD; MR: GLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhomburg View Post
Not holding my breath for getting upgraded, though unless burning an SWU.
I am coming from NRT via LAX to JFK at the end of February and not a single seat was available for an SWU upgrade from LAX-JFK on any flight!
LINDEGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 13, 8:39 pm   #130

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt PLT Hilton GLD HA,AS,VX all at PEON level
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINDEGR View Post
I am coming from NRT via LAX to JFK at the end of February and not a single seat was available for an SWU upgrade from LAX-JFK on any flight!
Most SWU do not always clear instantly. Your flight is in February, it is now September, which is 5 months from now. You'll have to wait it out for a System Wide Upgrade....at least 2.5 month, possibly 4.5 months.
Robt760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 13, 10:02 pm   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robt760 View Post
Most SWU do not always clear instantly. Your flight is in February, it is now September, which is 5 months from now. You'll have to wait it out for a System Wide Upgrade....at least 2.5 month, possibly 4.5 months.

There is not a single sAAver award seat on a nonstop in any class for months on end. Literally, there is not a single seat from service start (1/7) through the end of March. The embargo might be longer, I stopped looking. It would be interesting to see what the DOT would say if someone lodged a complaint.

I booked a JFK-CMH-LAX award and am hoping to backdoor my way in via a schedule change.
audio-nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 13, 10:10 pm   #132

Programs: AA EXP, Kimpton IC, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJC AA View Post
Yes, BUT they charge a much, much higher premium for MCS than JetBlue does for Even More Space or AA does for Main Cabin Extra. Often several hundred or more.

(And on JetBlue, even the cheap seats have ~34" pitch.)
The key issue for me is that VX doesn't give elites free MCS upon booking. You either have to pay or wait until T-12 or T-24 to get the "complimentary upgrade." Jetblue doesn't even give Mosiac members Even More Space for free. I'd rather book MCE on AA or E+ on UA and not worry about getting a good seat the last minute.
SFOPhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 13, 10:10 pm   #133

Programs: AA Platinum(1.032MM current method/1.174MM old method)/BA Executive Club/Alaska Airlines MP/Marriott
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
That is some fantastic news!

Perhaps we will see something resembling an hourly shuttle sometime next spring.
SFO-JFK could use some extrAA loving as well.
Jacobin777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 13, 5:50 am   #134

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier; AA EXP 2MM; F9 Ascent; CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post

Plus they've shifted the flights toward the morning which allows better use of the day on the west coast end.
C17PSGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 13, 6:02 am   #135

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio-nut View Post
There is not a single sAAver award seat on a nonstop in any class for months on end. Literally, there is not a single seat from service start (1/7) through the end of March. The embargo might be longer, I stopped looking. It would be interesting to see what the DOT would say if someone lodged a complaint.
Why would an airline, or any business for that matter, be obligated provide discounted award offers when demand is expected to be strong? And since this is a brand new product for the industry, no less, the revenue management algorithms are pure speculation for AA, so managing inventory is going to lean towards the most conservative side.
teemuflyer is offline   Reply With Quote