Upgrade codeshare with Miles+Copay?

Old Jun 7, 2013, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Upgrade codeshare with Miles+Copay?

i've been searching for an hour and can't find an answer, so TIA.

say i have three segments one way: AA (mark/op) + AA (mark/op) + AA codeshare (BA mark/op).

can i do a miles+copay upgrade and have it apply just to the first two flights? or will it be rejected completely because there is a codeshare flight in the itinerary?

i know the codeshares can't be upgraded whatsoever and i'm not concerned about that leg, just the other two.

thanks
Old Jun 7, 2013, 4:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I'd have given up much earlier than an hour!

I just went to the FAQ (one of the sticky threads at the top of the forum thread list), clicked the first link under the "Upgrades" heading, and found this in the first paragraph:

There are several different ways to upgrade on AA, including Upgrade Awards (miles + copay), 500-mile electronic upgrades (stickers / EXP), systemwide upgrade certificates (SWU / eVIP), and load factor-based upgrades purchased at the airport (LFBU). Award tickets are not upgradeable, except by LFBU if available. Upgrades are only valid on flights marketed and operated by AA.
You can upgrade the AA segments... You can't upgrade the BA segment.

--------------------

I've slightly edited the thread title for specificity.

~Moderator
Old Jun 7, 2013, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by ahcjar103
i know the codeshares can't be upgraded whatsoever and i'm not concerned about that leg, just the other two.
Microwave already answered your question, but I'd like to add that codeshares on BA/IB CAN be upgraded with miles. But only Full fare.
Not that this applies in your case, since you're on a discount economy ticket, but just a general FYI.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Microwave
I'd have given up much earlier than an hour!

I just went to the FAQ (one of the sticky threads at the top of the forum thread list), clicked the first link under the "Upgrades" heading, and found this in the first paragraph:

You can upgrade the AA segments... You can't upgrade the BA segment.

--------------------

I've slightly edited the thread title for specificity.

~Moderator
thanks much for the info. i found that earlier and i'm asking something a bit different so i'll try to re-phrase.

does the entire itin have to be aa mark/op to request miles+copay? or will the request get shut down when initiated if there's a codeshare segment on the itin because "upgrades are only valid on flights marketed and operated by AA." does the codeshare flight remove the ability to upgrade the other two, or will it just not apply in the request?

let me know if this makes sense. thanks.

djokison - thanks, found that too in my research last night. good to know.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ahcjar103
thanks much for the info. i found that earlier and i'm asking something a bit different so i'll try to re-phrase.
You can just upgrade the flights you wish, the presence of a codeshare flight should not be a problem.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Mark_T
You can just upgrade the flights you wish, the presence of a codeshare flight should not be a problem.
To add, make sure there's C (or A) inventory available for the flight you want to upgrade. I have a C seat waitlisted for a DFW-LHR flight in August that connects to a BA flight.

*fingers crossed*
Old Jun 7, 2013, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

thanks everyone.

gradboozer, that's pretty much the same thing i'm trying to do as well. good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.