Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Citi files for Credit Card decision before AA leaves bankruptcy court

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi files for Credit Card decision before AA leaves bankruptcy court

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by JMN57
One wonders if this isn't leverage on US & Parker to commit to Citi pre-merger rather than risk a decision post-merger.
Good point. One has to wonder if Citi thinks it has better odds if the current AA management makes this decision.
Old May 26, 2013, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by LetsGoToo:20815298
One wonders if this isn't leverage on US & Parker to commit to Citi pre-merger rather than risk a decision post-merger.
Good point. One has to wonder if Citi thinks it has better odds if the current AA management makes this decision.
Even under these circumstances, current management won't solely make this decision. It's probably material to the merger deal itself so I'd guess US would have to weigh in and commit as well.
Old May 26, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by burlax
Citi has a better and more flexible CC program than Barclays. Hope AA stays with Citi.
I would agree with that. Just look at US thread to see all the problems with Barclays. I'm not a huge Citi fan, but the AAdvantage program they have done well.

I dont blame Citi for pushing the issue a bit. They are a secured creditor so they have every right to push it.
Old May 26, 2013, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The nearly $1 billion of outstanding debt is the small part of the obligation; the rest is the long-term contract between Citi and AA - Citi is alleging that rejecting that contract would result in several billion dollars of rejection damages. If upheld, those rejection damages would prevent AA from paying all unsecured claims at 100% (due to their size). That would certainly change the complexion of the AA POR.
Is the long-term contract between Citi and AA secured? OP suggests only the $1 billion is secured, balance should be subject to BK11 re-negotiation.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
One of the costs of integrating US and AA will be the buyout to get US out of its obligation with Barclays.
That assumes the combined entity has an exclusivity deal with Citi; as discussed in another thread, there is precedent for multiple card providers one program.

The Aadvantage program is one of AMR's most valuable assets, would like to see Horton go to the mat on this one. Come on, Jamie Diamond...
Old May 27, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by some dude
While it's a total longshot, I'm hoping Amex somehow wins AA over.

AX has far more to bring to the table than Citi, and Ax already has club agreements with both US and AA, and elite status on US through the Centurion program.

The Citi cards are all pretty lame compared to offerings from Ax and Chase.
I'm guessing that DL has some kind of exclusivity in its agreement with Amex, but I could be wrong.

ETA: Also remember that Amex credit and charge cards are operated very differently. The current lounge access as well as US status via Centurion (which I expect to go away post-merger) are all via charge cards (Platinum and Centurion). Miles, however, are earned through credit cards (like the cards Amex offers for the DL, B6 and SPG programs). They are separate lines of business for Amex and the relationships are managed in different ways, under different terms.

So, while there's no reason AA couldn't explore going with Amex instead (except as I noted above), the simple fact that the charge cards offer some AA-specific benefits doesn't necessarily indicate that it will do so.

One thing that might also come into play is where, outside of the US, they tend to sign up a lot of credit card members. If a good part of the business is done in places where Amex isn't widely accepted, that could also be a factor.

Last edited by Upgraded!; May 27, 2013 at 11:23 am
Old May 27, 2013, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
It is not.

If reorg plan failed to spell out how AA is going to deal with its obligations towards Citi, which the motion seems to imply, it's very logical for Citi to compel AA to make the decision now - it brings certainty, allows timely litigation of rejection ( if AA attempts to reject ), and prevents AA from raising certain defenses once the reorg plan is approved by the court. Citi is predictably protecting its interests. Nothing more nothing less.
Old May 27, 2013, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by burlax
It is not.

If reorg plan failed to spell out how AA is going to deal with its obligations towards Citi, which the motion seems to imply, it's very logical for Citi to compel AA to make the decision now - it brings certainty, allows timely litigation of rejection ( if AA attempts to reject ), and prevents AA from raising certain defenses once the reorg plan is approved by the court. Citi is predictably protecting its interests. Nothing more nothing less.
Of course Citi is protecting its interest.

Not having read the filing, I can't be sure but what it seems to imply (as the article states "In addition to the objections, Citibank filed a motion demanding that American decide by July 2 if it would remain with Citibank") that Citi is stating that AA needs to either reaffirm its secured debt to Citi or redeem it and that part of the reaffirmation is the continued existence of the AA/Citi card relationship. If the agreement has a long tail and break-up provisions, that will tie the hands of US/Parker post-merger. What is also implied is that if AA does not affirm the terms of the secured debt, Citi will want to have it redeemed as part of reorg plan.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
Keep both cards

I obviously don't have access to the agreements but I don't see why the merged entity (USdbaAA) can't have credit card agreements with both Barclays and Citibank.

The Barclays card has great benefits by the way - two $99 companion passes, 5000 miles off award travel, 10k PQM after $25,000 spend, with a reasonable annual fee. I suspect these are benefits better than what Citibank offers in their current AA branded product. Be careful what you wish for - legacy AA customers might like the Barclays product better.
Old May 27, 2013, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by jfinsocal
I obviously don't have access to the agreements but I don't see why the merged entity (USdbaAA) can't have credit card agreements with both Barclays and Citibank.

The Barclays card has great benefits by the way - two $99 companion passes, 5000 miles off award travel, 10k PQM after $25,000 spend, with a reasonable annual fee. I suspect these are benefits better than what Citibank offers in their current AA branded product. Be careful what you wish for - legacy AA customers might like the Barclays product better.
I think even if they keep both something like this will go away. Currently AA's Citi Executive card gives 10k miles, but only after shelling out a $450 annual fee and spending $40k.
Old May 27, 2013, 2:00 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

AA pitched its initial CC concept to Amex. Amex passed, so AA made a deal with Citi.
Old May 27, 2013, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
AA pitched its initial CC concept to Amex. Amex passed, so AA made a deal with Citi.
Many years ago? When AMEX already had DL or not?
Old May 27, 2013, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Upgraded!
One thing that might also come into play is where, outside of the US, they tend to sign up a lot of credit card members. If a good part of the business is done in places where Amex isn't widely accepted, that could also be a factor.
AA does use other companies elsewhere; e.g. in UK, AA Affinity CCs are offered by MBNA
Old May 27, 2013, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
AA does use other companies elsewhere; e.g. in UK, AA Affinity CCs are offered by MBNA
Right, but they're still Visa and MasterCard cards, aren't they? Not sure if that matters or if it's all about the bank.
Old May 27, 2013, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Right, but they're still Visa and MasterCard cards, aren't they? Not sure if that matters or if it's all about the bank.
When opening an MDNA account , MBNA provides both and American Express and a Visa card. The AX card gets a better earning rate
http://www.mbna.co.uk/credit-cards/a...e-credit-card/
Old May 27, 2013, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by jfinsocal:20819022

I think part of the issue is specifically the brand names (AA, AAdvantage, USAirways, Dividend Miles). Citi would argue that it has invested to create brand equity around AAdvantage and who knows, there may be specific exclusive agreements (with maybe some geographical exceptions as noted above) with current AA about who provides credit card services. Alternatively, Barclays has invested into USAirways/Dividend Miles brands. Citi will probably actively defend their exclusive use of the AAdvantage (from a card perspective) brand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.