Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Why is American AAdvantage voted the best and not United Mileage Plus in this forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is American AAdvantage voted the best and not United Mileage Plus in this forum?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:33 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by relangford
Have NEVER gotten an international upgrade on UA (even when traveling on a so-called global upgrade - never any seats available). My business (>100,000 miles per year) is going to AA.
Take it you're referring to an operational upgrade here? That happens. I had it once on an award ticket in business LHR-ORD and was moved up to F with a traveling companion. Have also had it happen a few times on Qantas in either premium economy or business across the Pacific. Most of my Europe flights are in two-class planes so no opportunity for an operational upgrade on those because I'm already in business. There is a thread somewhere around here on operational upgrades.

You'll find quite a few EXP flyers that have been at the 100% mark for years with systemwides. I've cleared every single systemwide request since 2002, certainly over 100 by now, and I know I'm not alone here. Have already used 8 this year for myself and traveling companions to Europe. When I was a 1K my last full year at UA (2011), I gave away 7 of my 9 systemwides because I refused to buy up to a higher fare. I burned 2 on a domestic trip. I'd never use them for domestic on AA and we are fortunate to not have to buy-up for hundreds of dollars extra in some cases like UA.

The downside, as you've no doubt noticed, is that there are fewer routes to use them on. No Australia flights, for instance.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by watermen
I am just wondering.

Judging by number, the United section in this forum has more post and thread than the AA section.

However, according to Wikipedia, AA is still the biggest flier program in the world?

Looking at everyone's discussion here, United miles seems the easiest to redeem, so why is AA voted the best flier program in this forum?
I have no idea either.

United usually offers several premium cabin Mile Saver awards for any given date you type in (and the connections & layovers are reasonable), whereas American only offers a couple of Mile Saver awards in a whole month, if that (and the connections & layovers are miserable & grossly unrealistic).

Oh, and, by the way, where are AA's partner flights?? Certainly not on their website, where they belong. No, you have to go through the hassle of searching for availability on other airlines' websites. Why is this? No one knows. Maybe if AA actually allowed partner flights in their search results, they would stand a chance of being competitive with UA?

I don't know what people are comparing when they place these 2 mileage programs in the same league, but to me, they're not even close.

Last edited by joer1212; Oct 1, 2014 at 5:48 am
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by joer1212
I have no idea either.

United usually offers several premium cabin Mile Saver awards for any given date you type in (and the connections & layovers are reasonable), whereas American only offers a couple of Mile Saver awards in a whole month, if that (and the connections & layovers are miserable & grossly unrealistic).

Oh, and, by the way, where are AA's partner flights?? Certainly not on their website, where they belong. No, you have to go through the hassle of searching for availability on other airlines' websites. Why is this? No one knows. Maybe if AA actually allowed partner flights in their search results, they would stand a chance of being competitive with UA.

I don't know what people are comparing when they place these 2 mileage programs in the same league, but to me, they're not even close.
Weird that you bumped a 15-month-old thread for that diatribe. I guess I never realized that having to search for partner awards directly with the partner airline was that big of a deal. I never considered that AA should be responsible for showing me flight availability for other airlines. I appreciate that they do so for paid tickets, but would never expect them to do so. I'm no AApologist, but I really don't see why having to search an airline's website for a flight on that airline is a big deal.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by josmul123
Weird that you bumped a 15-month-old thread for that diatribe. I guess I never realized that having to search for partner awards directly with the partner airline was that big of a deal. I never considered that AA should be responsible for showing me flight availability for other airlines. I appreciate that they do so for paid tickets, but would never expect them to do so. I'm no AApologist, but I really don't see why having to search an airline's website for a flight on that airline is a big deal.
Don't forget the hassle of having to call an AA rep once you finally dig up your flight info from other airline sites (which you have to sign up for, by the way).
Also, if you happen to get a lazy or uncooperative rep, you'll have to hang up and keep calling (happened to me several times).
Then, if and when you do find a cooperative rep, you'll have to read her the info and hope she tells you that a Mile Saver award for that flight is available, etc.

Now, compare this tedious and time-consuming process to simply glancing at your computer screen and, within a few seconds, knowing exactly what's available, and at what cost. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

The question to ask is not why I would expect AA to show partner availability on their website, but why it is that they don't show it, especially when United does.

Oh, did I mention that British Airways' website is not always a reliable source of info for One World availability?

Last edited by joer1212; Oct 1, 2014 at 6:07 am
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
This thread had a good life back in 2013, and we can let it be for now.

If anything on this topic is current and needs to be discussed, a new thread would be appropriate.

~Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.