International First to Dubai

Old Mar 5, 2001, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Location: Dallas, TX. AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, Avis Preferred Select
International First to Dubai

Alright...I know these discussions have occured in the past. Shame on me for even asking, but I am going to

I am going to be going to Dubai in July...all on miles in First. My options are Cathay via Hong Kong or British Airways via London.

Typical question...which is better in First?
Old Mar 5, 2001, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, QF PLT, Marriott PLT
Cathay, without a doubt and you get the added benefit of checking out the snazzy Wing lounge.

The only reason to take BA would be time. CX will take lots longer (then again, that's more time to enjoy their service....)

------------------
My Aviation Pages
My Travel Pages
Old Mar 5, 2001, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA - Hilton
I am returning to Dubai in May on Cathay via Hong Kong. I will let you know. Not sure I will be in first, but will compare BA vs. their business class.

Have you been to Dubai in July? Hot, hot, hot!

I am going to Abu Dhabi at the end of this month, but will be on a military aircraft. No miles.

It is roughly equadistant; my company priced it out and the difference was less than $150.00 US. Eastbound being cheaper (SEA-ORD-LHR-DXB on BA vs SEA-YVR-HKG-DXB on Cathay). So I am planning a round-the-world; SEA-YVR-HKG-DXB-LHR-ORD-SEA. It will be the first time commercially. Did it with the Air Force during Desert Shield. March AFB, CA to NAS Cubi Point, P.I. to Clark AB, P.I. to Diego Garcia, B.I.O.T. to Sheik Issa, Bahrain(spelling may be whacked)to RAF Mildenhall, U.K. to March AFB, CA. Took 8 days.

I will let you know.

[This message has been edited by FlyAAway (edited 03-06-2001).]
Old Mar 5, 2001, 6:45 pm

I will offer a counterpoint. Had a great flight in F with BA from LHR to DXB, and I'll bet there isn't a bottle of Knob Creek on board CX. Particularly if you're connecting from the US, one less connection isn't a bad thing.
Old Mar 5, 2001, 6:55 pm

That's probably right, but for awhile CX did serve Booker's....
Old Mar 5, 2001, 7:10 pm

Booker's? In that case, might I suggest BA one way and CX the other?
Old Mar 5, 2001, 7:18 pm

Bloody server outsmated me again!

[This message has been edited by bollar (edited 03-05-2001).]
Old Mar 5, 2001, 7:19 pm

Yes, that's obviously the correct solution!

And then one could use the OW Explorer fare, which would probably same some dough.
Old Mar 5, 2001, 8:46 pm

Cathay had more room, but BA's seats were more comfortable. Service and food were good on both. I could be mistaken, and I am sure someone will correct me if I am. CX's website lists the Hong Kong - Dubai flight as on a triple 7, which is a two class aircraft. You would be in first to HKG, and biz for Dubai. If this is the case, I would personally do BA, or try to do one airline west and the other east. Don't know if they will let you. The Wing is pretty cool. They have cabanas. Easy to kill a couple of hours there. The terrace lounge in the T4 in London is either overblown, or I wasn't in the right one. Either way, I wasn't impressed.

Old Mar 5, 2001, 9:13 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
I've traveled on CX and BA in First and feel it is a toss up. Both are really good (especially when compared to AA or UA).

Food Service - Both are equally as good although I like CX because they offer an Asian selection meal that I normally like.

Seat - BA has more privacy but CX has more room. BA has 14 seats vs. CX has 12 seats. In terms of comfort, they are about the same. CX's bed/seat is slighter wider.

Lounges - BA has the arrivals lounge in LHR where you can try the spa for free. This is the best arrivals lounge around. There is also a new departure First loung in LHR which just opened last week and some think are even better than CX's wing lounge. The CX wing lounge in HKG is great! The private cabanas are the best. You will be able to find out more if you do a search on the CX forum.

Inflight entertainment - BA has individual screens with a video library. I find BA's selection of movies to be the best of any airline. CX has the same system (but movies selection aren't as good as BA) but also has games. Also the screen in CX is much bigger!

If you have time to stopover, then I would see whether you want to stop in LHR or HKG for a visit. Either way, you should try BA and CX both some time! However, as Darren mentioned, the DXB service on CX is a 777 so it is a 2-class service so you may want to take BA as both flights has the 3-class service.
Old Mar 7, 2001, 3:54 am

Bagold, I have to admit, though, that the 2 class service on Cathay was the best 2 class I have encountered from my somewhat limited experience. Compared to Qantas and AA, there was no comparison. I have not flown longhaul biz on BA. Personally, I would do the BA route, but that's just me.

Old Mar 7, 2001, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
One thing people are overlooking is that DrHouser mentioned that the trip to Dubai is with miles. I belive the BA option is only available from LHR. It would be AA to London and BA to DXB. As far as I know you cannot use BA for the Transatlantic portion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.