Community
Wiki Posts
Search

77W walk up bar - why do they offer sandwiches?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Is the picture above from one of the inaugural flights?

I've flown 50/51 twice since the new airplane came out. The first time we had water and the same snacks as the 777-200. The next 3 times (return of first trip plus one more roundtrip) they just had a tray from a trolley with a couple bags of chips. No water or other beverages at all were present.

I've never seen a setup like you see in the picture. Most of the time those shelves are filled with the FAs stuff or odds and ends from the service - like FA paperwork, leftover used pillows, etc.

This bar things seems like the worst of both worlds - it makes the FAs refuse to get you anything since they've been told the PAX will make use of the self service area and then they don't put anything out.

During my first daytime return flight the FA argued with me that the tap in the lavatory was drinkable because it was "a new airplane" and I should just refill my water bottle there. I saw a few people actually do this - I just went without until the second meal service. On my next return I decided to buy 3 bottles before departure which seemed to be a smart move. I saw a few people ask for more water and get totally denied

I think until the sex appeal of this new plane dies down we'll continue to see the most senior crews working these flights. Sadly those most senior FAs are the ones that want to do the least during the flight.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by DillMan

I've flown 50/51 twice since the new airplane came out. The first time we had water and the same snacks as the 777-200. The next 3 times (return of first trip plus one more roundtrip) they just had a tray from a trolley with a couple bags of chips. No water or other beverages at all were present.

I've never seen a setup like you see in the picture. Most of the time those shelves are filled with the FAs stuff or odds and ends from the service - like FA paperwork, leftover used pillows, etc.

This bar things seems like the worst of both worlds - it makes the FAs refuse to get you anything since they've been told the PAX will make use of the self service area and then they don't put anything out.

During my first daytime return flight the FA argued with me that the tap in the lavatory was drinkable because it was "a new airplane" and I should just refill my water bottle there. I saw a few people actually do this - I just went without until the second meal service. On my next return I decided to buy 3 bottles before departure which seemed to be a smart move. I saw a few people ask for more water and get totally denied

I think until the sex appeal of this new plane dies down we'll continue to see the most senior crews working these flights. Sadly those most senior FAs are the ones that want to do the least during the flight.
That's not reassuring. Finally thought AA was doing something right with this set up that they advertised so heavily. What are other's experiences? Or is this just a one off?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by sts603
That's not reassuring. Finally thought AA was doing something right with this set up that they advertised so heavily. What are other's experiences? Or is this just a one off?
The photo above is representative of what they were doing for the whole month of February on DFW-GRU-DFW. Not just the inaugural flights.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC, AMEX PLT

Are you referring to the walkup bar in J or Y? I was in J two weeks ago for LHR-JFK and it looked like that. Not sure if Y differs from the 772 or not.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:13 pm

Just cover them up. Same with the parfaits. Plastic wrap the fruit.

Not only will it save the bread, but all of that food being uncovered is incredibly unsanitary.

Eat them sandwiches and next thing you know you are like the OP of the 77W WiFi thread.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

There are plenty of options for those who don't want to have bread, as far as I can tell. It's just that sandwiches seem a poor choice as an uncovered snack on a plane.

The detraction of the tray cover is that even though this is J, space is limited. It's not as though there is an abundance of space to put things as you make your selection. And often you need both your hands to manage your utensils, plate of food, and beverage.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dmbtr3
Are you referring to the walkup bar in J or Y? I was in J two weeks ago for LHR-JFK and it looked like that. Not sure if Y differs from the 772 or not.
Good to hear. Dillman were you referring to Y?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Ready2Go
The photo above is representative of what they were doing for the whole month of February on DFW-GRU-DFW. Not just the inaugural flights.
Pretty much what we had on AA50 last night as well.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold

I've flown on 100/101 a few times as well as on the inaugural 777-300ER flight (and a return a few days later) and the bar has been pretty consistently stocked as pictured.

Today, on 101, the purser decided to offer a competing bar in the first-class galley. Both bars had wine and but there was champagne in the first -class bar.

The crew members on my flights seemed to be jazzed about the bar concept and the new plane in general I should add.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by PresRDC
I am thrilled they are offering sandwiches. Pretty much my favorite food item, from little finger sandwiches, right up to full size NY deli heros.

Plenty of airlines offer sandwiches as snacks. They should be individually wrapped in plastic.
+1
(Bolding mine) It would be great if they could duplicate those found in the NRT AC.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by dmbtr3
Originally Posted by sts603
Good to hear. Dillman were you referring to Y?
Sweet lord no. I was referring to J. Y for 10.5 hours sounds terrifying.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
I never went to look at the bar given all the food they serve in F (even if you don't like the timing there's dine on request). I did see the bar they set up forward of F, and it seemed to be a lot of deserts and chocolates (or that's at least what caught my eye, and still didn't eat any).
Old Apr 4, 2013, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Sweet lord no. I was referring to J. Y for 10.5 hours sounds terrifying.
Well lets hope then that you had a couple one-off experiences and/or the FAs weren't' properly trained on that aircraft yet.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by armus
I never went to look at the bar given all the food they serve in F (even if you don't like the timing there's dine on request). I did see the bar they set up forward of F, and it seemed to be a lot of deserts and chocolates (or that's at least what caught my eye, and still didn't eat any).
J also offers dine on request. My son took advantage of that.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by bmchris
A picture describes it better than words - http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3...ps0a5afdbd.jpg

The offering from LHR was a little different, but you get the idea of what type of foods. You can make out the sandwiches in the first tray from the left!
The carrot/celery in ranch (light ranch?) seems like something that would (a) keep, and (b) provide SOME nutritional value mid flight. I'd definitely grab those.

I like finger sandwiches too - why don't they do like BA / Pret A Manger / Tesco / SCHOOL(!) / etc and have them wrapped?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.