Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: What will happen to AA F Meals?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Speculation: What will happen to AA F Meals?

I wasn't sure whether or not this thread would be best in a merged thread, or on its own, so I'm starting a new thread.

What do you speculate will happen to AA F meals now that the merger is pretty much written in stone? Right now, AA has one of the best meal service domestically, especially on some longer midcons (DFW-LAX notwithstanding) and transcons. Meal service happens on some flights as short as 600 miles. Conversely, US only serves meals on 3.5+ hour flights, as we all know. AA meals are nicely presented, served on proper linens. US doesn't do that. US doesn't do a special "transcon/Hawaii" service, AA does.

So, what do you think will happen to AA meal service? There was something mentioned about US bringing meal service up to AA "parameters" - see below:

Originally Posted by T/BE20/G
For what it's worth, Kirby mentioned on a conference call the day of the announcement that they plan to expand F meal service on US flights to the AA parameters in April.
That in itself is an optimistic sign, but what's not to say AA will reduce meal service between now and April? Somehow, I just can't imagine all former US flights over 600 miles getting a nicely presented meal on proper linens, along with warmed nuts and choices of entrees. That'd cost the combined carrier money. However, they MIGHT do it, just to keep paying F customers. Unless they do bidding for F for dirt cheap, or change the rules so all elites get free upgrades; less paying customers in F, which would degrade the product. (Case in point: CO "upgrade class"; UA downgrading F service) Of course, this is just the cynical/realist side of me seeing things. It could turn out to be a very positive outcome, with ALL flights retaining proper F service.

AA also is currently a "niche" smaller carrier, so they HAVE to impress and lure paying F customers. With the merger, they'll be the biggest airline in the world. Why should they feel an incentive to provide proper F service?

So... bring on the thoughts/speculation! I'm very curious!
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
I think they go to the US rules. Which basically means I won't be seeing many exDFW.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I really hope US will learn more from AA than visa versa.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:35 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
AA meal service windows will be absolutely adapted by the merged carrier. That's not the question.

The question is what happens to the quality and portions, for which AA is known for being generous compared to everybody else.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Originally Posted by MAH4546
AA meal service windows will be absolutely adapted by the merged carrier. That's not the question.

The question is what happens to the quality and portions, for which AA is known for being generous compared to everybody else.
I really don't see how you can be so certain of this - if it is more than just an assumption on your part, please explain it to me.

This and the generosity of EXP are the two areas where I think AA-loyalists have the most to lose.

Other than "AFS" transcon service, I fully expect meal service to be reduced to US levels ... including the snack basket ... and maybe even physical removal of the ovens, etc... (add another row that way, plus reduce weight).

I will be happy to be proven wrong, but I think my pessimism is well-founded.

Bill
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
I really don't see how you can be so certain of this - if it is more than just an assumption on your part, please explain it to me.

This and the generosity of EXP are the two areas where I think AA-loyalists have the most to lose.

Other than "AFS" transcon service, I fully expect meal service to be reduced to US levels ... including the snack basket ... and maybe even physical removal of the ovens, etc... (add another row that way, plus reduce weight).

Bill
You'll be proven wrong.

US has already stated it in conference calls.

It's sad to see how pessimistic people are. I hate US as next as the next person, but it operates at such low standards because it never had the high-value frequent flier that AA/DL/UA have had, and it simply doesn't generate sufficient yields to afford these services. As that changes, it can adapt higher service standards.

If one wants to argue the combined carrier will reduce service to the extent to match that of Delta, sure, I think that's something that could happen.

AA already removed coach ovens on narrowbodies, so not sure what you are getting at there with removing ovens. AA and US planes have identical number of ovens. There are no ovens to remove. And AA sure as hell isn't going to remove ovens from 738s plying routes to Central America and South America where meal service is absolutely expected (hence AA still serves coach meals on short-haul Latin America).
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I believe he is certain of this because of the quoted text in my OP. That, or heard something internally. I am feeling cynical about the quality of meal service, but to see that the new AA will only have meal service on 3.5+ hour flights is a bit ridiculous, even to me. UA and DL both has an 2-hour threshold for meals, I believe.

Originally Posted by sombrachinesca

Bill
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still find the 2 hour threshold ridiculously high.

Sigh.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
I believe he is certain of this because of the quoted text in my OP. That, or heard something internally. I am feeling cynical about the quality of meal service, but to see that the new AA will only have meal service on 3.5+ hour flights is a bit ridiculous, even to me. UA and DL both has an 2-hour threshold for meals, I believe.
UA is 900 miles and DL is 750 miles. For comparison, AA's 2 hours is approximately 675 miles.

But on DL, 1,500 miles for that meal to be hot. Not sure about UA.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I believe DL is still at 900 miles generally - with a 'meal time' departure time requirement - with some exceptions on 'competitive' routes. Shorter than that and routinely it's a couple of passes of the snack basket.

AA F meals, in quality, quantity, and presentation, beat the DL 1500+ mile meals IMHO.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec

US is stingy about when they offer meal service, but IME the meals are pretty decent when they're offered. The inflight services VP (Hector Adler) -- who will keep the same role in the merged carrier -- has pushed F catering improvements pretty hard despite a tight budget; they reworked the entrees significantly in 2011 and just recently rolled out new china. He did the same in his previous role at NW, and was well liked over there.

I've only flown AA F a handful of times in the past couple of years, but the actual food I've received seemed pretty similar. Both are well ahead of UA, thankfully...
Old Nov 21, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by hillrider
I still find the 2 hour threshold ridiculously high.

Sigh.
Like how ORD-RDU doesn't get meals, but RDU-ORD does? because 1:55 vs 2:05 block times.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 5:52 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
They will be replaced with horse manure.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:30 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb

I think a lot will depend on whether AA keeps the sticker upgrade system or goes to unlimited complimentary upgrades like US/DL/UA. If the latter, the loss of sticker revenue will undoubtedly lead to some cuts-- maybe the meal windows will stay the same, but we may see hot meals on shorter flights replaced with cold dishes.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dw
I think a lot will depend on whether AA keeps the sticker upgrade system or goes to unlimited complimentary upgrades like US/DL/UA. If the latter, the loss of sticker revenue will undoubtedly lead to some cuts-- maybe the meal windows will stay the same, but we may see hot meals on shorter flights replaced with cold dishes.
To which I ask - why would they change to UDUs? If it negatively impacts everyone, then it is highly unlikely they change

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.