Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:25 am
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Added my comments
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: AA: EXP, SPG: Gold
Completely agree!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:11 am

The person that submitted this complaint did an EXCELLENT job of providing very detailed information about the problem and the possible DOT violations. Hopefully this gains some traction!! (just waiting for this to hit the travel/points blogs at this point)
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Fuel surcharges are a ripoff indeed. Though I'm sure at the end of the day if the practice is "outlawed", they will just find some other way to pad their pockets... huge "award booking fee", for example...or jack up the mileage redemption rates even more.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Fuel surcharges are a ripoff indeed. Though I'm sure at the end of the day if the practice is "outlawed", they will just find some other way to pad their pockets... huge "award booking fee", for example...or jack up the mileage redemption rates even more.
Bigger concern, more likely scenario: Saaver awards on BA will disappear. Given the choice, we bit the bullet, paid the extra fees to fly B from LAX to LHR on BA using a Saaver award last summer, rather than LAX-JFK-LHR on AA. Until / unless AA releases more saaver award inventory, we will continue to do the same.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 1:06 pm

Fuel is an essential component to providing the service. It's an expense that MUST be incurred to provide that service. Therefore should be part of the regular ticket price.

Unlike the baggage fees. A passenger can opt to not take a checked bag, and not incur a fee, we cannot choose to put less fuel on the plane.

Do Bus and/or Train companies charge a fuel surcharge? Nope - it's needed to provide the service!!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 1:23 pm

Sent in my comment, too!

Just had quite the shock when I went to use AA miles for a trip to Europe. Surcharges cost almost as much as a ticket!

By the way, anyway around this? Is there a route I can use to Europe (ultimately going to Brussels, but want to travel elsewhere a bit) to avoid these crazy charges?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
BA Fuel Surcharge USDOT Complaint

Try AirBerlin or Finnair to avoid fuel surcharge. You can also book on jet airways to Brussels from ord/JFK/ewr using AA miles.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 2:31 pm

Thank you! So helpful!!! Figured this also from reading other posts.

Changed my trip idea from going to Ireland/Brussels/Amsterdam to Copenhagen/Brussels/Amsterdam. Only $200+ in fees/taxes for 2 of us and only 80,000 miles for the 2 of us economy round trip.

Ireland will wait 'till another day!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Originally Posted by mgoes2
Sent in my comment, too!

Just had quite the shock when I went to use AA miles for a trip to Europe. Surcharges cost almost as much as a ticket!

By the way, anyway around this? Is there a route I can use to Europe (ultimately going to Brussels, but want to travel elsewhere a bit) to avoid these crazy charges?
You can always try to fly to CDG on AA and take the train to Brussels. However searching for availability to CDG you may see AA continually try to route you through LHR on BA, Keep searching until you can find an award all on AA metal.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Submitted.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:02 pm

British Airways Fuel charges are a ripp off; $600 for a so called Free Award ticket in economy to Europe compared to about $150 on UNITED.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:04 pm

You can also fly Aer Lingus to avoid charges to Europe. However no awards from Dublin so you have to buy a regular ticket.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:17 pm

Lets try to encourage more people to join the complaint. Post a link to this thread on any site that air travellers frequent. I have put up links to it on our corporate intranet and on three timeshare websites.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:12 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Good Job Ben Edelman! I added my comments as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.