Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA new brand identity, logo, livery, color scheme (17 Jan 2013) (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: AA's new identity package / branding, color scheme and logo:
I love it! Innovative, striking!
20.33%
It's OK - I'm warming up to this new look.
29.62%
I'm not feeling much one way or another - it may take time.
9.29%
I think AA could have done better.
20.92%
I really hate this look - what were they thinking?
19.84%
Voters: 1023. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: incognitoMD
American Airlines CEO Tom Horton announced AA's new branding going forward at 10 AM Eastern time 17 Jan 2013. His address about the new branding and 77W color scheme rollout can be seen here. N.B. Watch the entire video and go through the pages to enter a photo contest to win up to 1 million A miles. Also, link to AA news release.

AA now has some Boeing 777-323ER, 777-223ER, 737-823ER and 767-323ER in new livery.

Print Wikipost

AA new brand identity, logo, livery, color scheme (17 Jan 2013) (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

The eagle is still there, albeit subtly. I have been through every brand identity / design change since the 1936 design - I'm not exactly sure how I feel about this one, as the tail seems too busy, more like lawn chairs than the flag, but it'll take some time to sink in.

There's no going back - this is a done deal.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K and 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond
Massimo Vignelli must be pissed! He was so proud of his old logo design!
Vignelli video on his AA design
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
I like the change - the video was great. I do wish, however, they had kept the eagle...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:21 am

I give the new livery a
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:21 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
I think the consensus here on FT is leaning toward the tail being an uninspired design. The rest of the comments, even though there may be comments on its similarity to the Greyhound logo, are positive about everything forward of the tail.

OK, having had a closer look at the eagle design. It looks a bit like a horizontal stabilizer with a segment of composite peeling off because maintenance forgot to put the screws back in.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver

more like lawn chairs than the flag
Lawn chairs... that's it exactly! Terrible...

Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:23 am

Unhappy flyer I had trouble on my laptop. It keeps cutting off and before it finishes it goes back to the begining.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLAT
Picture looks good .. Logo refresh needed ..
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold
Disappointed. Reminds me of Greyhound or Amtrak. Or latest Aeroflot livery. The new logo reminiscent of new red doohickey on Air France fuselages. As another poster commented, tail overdone; it tries too hard like an underfunded startup airline from the late 80's or 90's.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by JDiver

The eagle is still there, albeit subtly. I have been through every brand identity / design change since the 1936 design - I'm not exactly sure how I feel about this one, as the tail seems too busy, more like lawn chairs than the flag, but it'll take some time to sink in.

There's no going back - this is a done deal.
For me there's the hope that the tail fades away.
It indeed is "American looking" - and that's not a good thing IMO.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:28 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by aktchi

Process of rolling out. We live in a culture that values "surprise" more than wise decisions. That's why millions line up to return/exchange gifts, which might have been unnecessarily if they been consulted in advance. Personally, I wish that instead of surprising us, AA had involved us in the decision making process. That would have led to better decisions.
Just out of curiosity, why do you say that AA should have involved "us" (presumably customers) in the design. Would they not only have been involved defining what ideals the design should capture and not in the actual colour scheme?

I guess people, especially Americans feel a sense of ownership/belonging to their preferred carrier but does that qualify them to lend their design ponderings?

I think it is a shame that United bowed to UA flyers and changed the font when they adopted the Continental livery.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Cubana??? Greyhound???
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:30 am

The one positive in all of this: They can take as long as they want to repaint the fleet, and no one will mind!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: United 1k ; SW A+ Preferred; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
[QUOTE=dcpatti;20066917]Yuck, I really hate the tails. Too busy. Plus I really dislike how we in the US love to slap our flag on everything. If you're going to do it, be a little more discreet about it. It always bothers me to see our flag featured so prominently in a corporations' color scheme; makes me feel like it cheapens the flag to use it so obviously in marketing. But I'm weird like that.[/QUOT

So you haven't seen the livery of British Airways, Air France, Swiss, Korean, JAL, etc...? The majority of world airlines have a variation of their flag prominently represented on their aircraft - usually on the tail.

Hardly discreet, nor unique to the "US".
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: amex plat, aa explat, ic ra, avis first, omni select guest platinum
love it!
congrats AA!
now, PLEASE, No Merger!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.