Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

International First <and> Business Enhancements Announced 7 Jan 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International First <and> Business Enhancements Announced 7 Jan 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by billgrates3
Not necessarily ...
When on AA71 FRA-DFW last month, the FAs put out a couple of baskets with quite a few snack items, plus a bunch of the cheese/crackers hors d'oeuvres plates and fruit plates.
Exactly. And I suspect it will get better than that. In the second photo from the link below, there's an example of the types of items we might expect to see on the walk-up bar:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9020654...ream/lightbox/

Quite a bit nicer than the SnAAck AAttack basket to which we have become accustomed.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I thought that was the case but didn't have a menu to hand to check that I wasn't mistaken. EK definitely offers soups as well so does seem that AA is indeed lying
It is not the best grammar, but it seems clear in context that the pasta option is what AA is claiming is novel. Many airlines, including OW partners BA, QF and CX offer soup in F class.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PresRDC
It is not the best grammar, but it seems clear in context that the pasta option is what AA is claiming is novel. Many airlines, including OW partners BA, QF and CX offer soup in F class.
EK offers both soup and my recollection (supported by El Puerco Volante) customisable pasta dishes though, so still seems a dubious claim
Old Jan 9, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by billgrates3
Not necessarily ...
When on AA71 FRA-DFW last month, the FAs put out a couple of baskets with quite a few snack items, plus a bunch of the cheese/crackers hors d'oeuvres plates and fruit plates.
I'll believe it when I see it lol. I did LHR to ORD and it was the same stuff ( or lack thereof) that I'm used too. Next chance for me to see it is MIA-BCN next Friday and MAD to MIA the following Monday.

Last edited by umaa83; Jan 10, 2013 at 7:38 am
Old Jan 9, 2013, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
EK offers both soup and my recollection (supported by El Puerco Volante) customisable pasta dishes though, so still seems a dubious claim
AA probably meant to say "a first for a USA-based carrier." Very USA-centric to just say "a first for an airline" and expect everyone to understand that the universe against which they were comparing consists of just DL, UA and US.

And since EK isn't a viable option for people flying USA-S America or USA-London or USA-Tokyo or USA-China, then it really doesn't matter what EK offers.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FWAAA
AA probably meant to say "a first for a USA-based carrier." Very USA-centric to just say "a first for an airline" and expect everyone to understand that the universe against which they were comparing consists of just DL, UA and US.

And since EK isn't a viable option for people flying USA-S America or USA-London or USA-Tokyo or USA-China, then it really doesn't matter what EK offers.
I have seen fairly attractive EK offers India-N America (and at times v.v.) though which drive a large amount of traffic through LHR (because AA states MPM-ROUTING NOT APPLICABLE but must also be routed via Atlantic (which usually has a higher number than via Pacific anyways for YVR/SFO/SEA/LAX/LAS.)
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The "walk-up bar" won't include any unattended self-serve booze. Not a chance. Flagship Lounge? Yes. Airplane? No.
That is correct, as it would be a violation of the relevant FAR.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I have seen fairly attractive EK offers India-N America (and at times v.v.) though which drive a large amount of traffic through LHR (because AA states MPM-ROUTING NOT APPLICABLE but must also be routed via Atlantic (which usually has a higher number than via Pacific anyways for YVR/SFO/SEA/LAX/LAS.)
Yes, EK is a viable option for USA-India, which is, of course, why I did not say otherwise.

Nevertheless, AA's interest in India traffic right now generally connects at London, not Dubai.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:46 pm

Yes, EK is a viable option for USA-India, which is, of course, why I did not say otherwise.

Nevertheless, AA's interest in India traffic right now generally connects at London, not Dubai.
Even whether EK is an airline that AA would want to try and compare itself against, making misleading statements is not something that should be happening

It does look like AA is trying to improve its image and product , which is a good thing
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Exactly. And I suspect it will get better than that. In the second photo from the link below, there's an example of the types of items we might expect to see on the walk-up bar:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9020654...ream/lightbox/

Quite a bit nicer than the SnAAck AAttack basket to which we have become accustomed.
All I can thinkl of when seeing this is a photo of a Whopper.

OMG, they look so delicious, with all them onions, tomato lettice. Looks like best sandwich in the world until you actually see one.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:19 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by hillrider
That is correct, as it would be a violation of the relevant FAR.
My memory is a bit hazy for reasons I won't disclose, but I believe that I enjoyed self-pour cocktails at Virgin Australia's "walk-up bar" in J.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:21 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by ESpen36
I like it. I would rather mix my own drink, the way I like it, than bother the FAs.
I thought that you didn't drink (alcohol).
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
EK food is crap unless you prefer only spicy hot Indian cuisine (there were no US options on my flights to/from SFO). EK also lied to WSJ by claiming that all US flights have lie-flat business class - in fact they still feature angled seats just like AA.

I will take the new AA any day over EK - any day.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
EK food is crap unless you prefer only spicy hot Indian cuisine (there were no US options on my flights to/from SFO). EK also lied to WSJ by claiming that all US flights have lie-flat business class - in fact they still feature angled seats just like AA.

I will take the new AA any day over EK - any day.
I'll take EK's F offerings over AA's any day. Even in business class I would dispute the assertion on the meals

Picking a business dinner at random

Appertiser
Chicken and Pistachio terrine

Main course
lemon and lime zest marinated chicken
Moroccan style lamb loin
Grilled prawns

bread basket

Classic Lemon meringue tart
Chocolate and raspberry ganache

cheese board

selection of fruit

Where is the "only spicy hot Indian cuisine"

EK does have lie flat seats. The seats do go flat. Other than the A380 they are at a slope, but still lie flat and I believe that the only fly 777s that they fly to the USA have lie flat seats
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Flew AA F in early December DFW-NRT.I was impressed with the changes then especially the wine tasting.Unfortunately despite the help of the resident photographic experts I cant get my pics to stick on FT.I have done a long TR on AFF with a description of the meals with photos and menus which are in posts 113-115 if anyone wants to look.
I did have the mid flight snack-a choice of a Bento box or a soup.I had the Bento box and it was quite reasonable.
My TR-
http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...tml#post734471

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.