Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

International First <and> Business Enhancements Announced 7 Jan 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International First <and> Business Enhancements Announced 7 Jan 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
So, it appears this "customizable pasta entree" is a single pasta (noodle) type, with your choice of one or more:
sauces (2 options), protein, vegetables, and/or cheese.
Cheese is a protein. (Though most people wouldn't use the same amount of grated parmesan, even if skipping the other "protein", as they would get with the other "protein".)
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, American Advantage
These are great upgrades. They make AmericN the most premium US airline. At least Nited has a First class too...I wonder how Delta will be able to compete anymore against American and it's new premium services. Delta does not even have a F option for any flights.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:59 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Cheese is a protein. (Though most people wouldn't use the same amount of grated parmesan, even if skipping the other "protein", as they would get with the other "protein".)
Cheese is a fat, with some protein as well

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...-products/31/2

Cheers.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by TWAWORLD
Delta does not even have a F option for any flights.
huh ?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
huh ?
In relation to "interntional" 1st class ( such as transatlantic or transpacific ) DL does not offer a 1st class
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:48 pm

Looks very nice.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9020654...ream/lightbox/
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:49 pm

New placemat, plates, flatware and glasses.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9020654...ream/lightbox/
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
A couple of questions:

(1) Has anyone tried to delay dinner service for 4-6 hours? What was the reaction? There are some flights where I just want to get to sleep after takeoff, but with many carriers you will lose you only shot at the main meal service.

(2) Any improvement on mid-flight "snacks"? Again, most carrier offer crappy "sandwiches" lathered in mayo or butter (yuck), candy and maybe fruit. This sucks when you are hungry midway thru a TATL or TPAC.

The customized fettucine sounds like a big hit. Once thing I despise is being stuck with high fat cream sauces or spicy ethnic prep - apparently airlines have decided that people don't want plain and healthy food anymore unless you order vegan - yeck.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Walk up bar

So with this enhancement it will be ok to stand up and get a drink? Don't the FA's usually want you seated unless using the lav? I guess since its only for First they won't have many people to watch over. On some other sites of airlines with this inboard they make it look like a bar and passengers hanging out.
Didn't they have this on airplanes back in the 50's or am I watching too many movies?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Plato1
So with this enhancement it will be ok to stand up and get a drink? Don't the FA's usually want you seated unless using the lav? I guess since its only for First they won't have many people to watch over. On some other sites of airlines with this inboard they make it look like a bar and passengers hanging out.
Didn't they have this on airplanes back in the 50's or am I watching too many movies?
I believe the walk-up bar is open to premium customers, which includes J.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Plato1
This should make the FA's happy, even less work for them to do. With the automated PA annoucements now eliminating the the need for FA's to actually interact/address the passengers in most instances, they can now just refer you to the bar instead of bringing you your drink.

I can't wait for the first "I asked for a drink after the main meal service, but the FA referred me to the bar" post once this goes into operation.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by umaa83
This should make the FA's happy, even less work for them to do. With the automated PA annoucements now eliminating the the need for FA's to actually interact/address the passengers in most instances, they can now just refer you to the bar instead of bringing you your drink.

I can't wait for the first "I asked for a drink after the main meal service, but the FA referred me to the bar" post once this goes into operation.

I like it. I would rather mix my own drink, the way I like it, than bother the FAs. It is much more like a lounge that way. When I'm at those lounges in Europe where the staff will bring a drink to you upon request, I always prefer to walk over and get it myself. I guess I'm a pretty self-sufficient guy, and I know what I like.

I suspect there will be 2 main issues with the walk-up:

1) keeping control over the booze, since only booze served by a FA may be consumed on board, per FAA, so that the crew can monitor alcohol intake
(what's to stop some guy from walking up and grabbing half a dozen liquor minis and getting wasted and belligerent)

2) preventing pax from visiting the walk-up bar during meal service so as not to be getting in the way while the FAs are coming and going to/from the galley areas frequently carrying heavy and fragile items
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The "walk-up bar" won't include any unattended self-serve booze. Not a chance. Flagship Lounge? Yes. Airplane? No.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I like it. I would rather mix my own drink, the way I like it, than bother the FAs. It is much more like a lounge that way. When I'm at those lounges in Europe where the staff will bring a drink to you upon request, I always prefer to walk over and get it myself. I guess I'm a pretty self-sufficient guy, and I know what I like.

I suspect there will be 2 main issues with the walk-up:

1) keeping control over the booze, since only booze served by a FA may be consumed on board, per FAA, so that the crew can monitor alcohol intake
(what's to stop some guy from walking up and grabbing half a dozen liquor minis and getting wasted and belligerent)

2) preventing pax from visiting the walk-up bar during meal service so as not to be getting in the way while the FAs are coming and going to/from the galley areas frequently carrying heavy and fragile items
Based on the pictures, the bar seems to be positioned by an exit door with a jump seat, so they will likely have a FA stationed there, similar to how they have one in the galley on most flights.

For issue number two, they probably will state in the menu that the alcohol and snacks will be available starting after the main meal service up to 1-2 hours prior to landing. Items likely will be put out and put away at the applicable times.

I personally have my expecations for this snack/bar area set really low. AA currently advertises snacks in F and J and all I've ever seen is a basket left on a cart with 2-3 items in it. I'm fully expecting that basket to be moved and just displayed in the center of the bar instead of the cart. If this comes anywhere close to matching EK, BA's, or heck even QF A380 Y snack/bar area, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by umaa83; Jan 9, 2013 at 2:28 pm
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by umaa83
I personally have my expecations for this snack/bar area set really low. AA currently advertises snacks in F and J and all I've ever seen is a basket left on a cart with 2-3 items in it. I'm fully expecting that basket to be moved and just displayed in the center of the bar instead of the cart.
Not necessarily ...
When on AA71 FRA-DFW last month, the FAs put out a couple of baskets with quite a few snack items, plus a bunch of the cheese/crackers hors d'oeuvres plates and fruit plates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.