AA delayed bags vs. customs?

Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
AA delayed bags vs. customs?

All bags were delayed arriving into miami on AA, took about 1 hour 15 minutes for bags to start coming onto the conveyor. This resulted in missing the domestic connection and AA rebooked on standby. AA says its customs fault, but lots of other bags were coming off other flights. Anyway to figure out who's fault it is? If it's AA's fault, I should be able to get a confirmed seat, not just standby possibly?

Seems to me like it's actually AA's fault since no other flights were having this problem coming through customs.

No status with AA, so special leverage in arm twisting. What do you all think?

Awaiting standby now, wish there was a better way to guarantee getting home tonight
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps Customs singled out the AA flight prior to unloading the luggage and/or took their time in searching/inspection of the luggage prior to permitting AA to deliver it to the FIS facility? If they suspect that drug smuggling by AA employees might be an issue, that might cause significant delay in delivering the bags.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Of course AA will say it's someone else's fault, especially since there is no way for you to prove otherwise. Where did the flight originate? May very well be customs working a possible drug issue. Or maybe your flight was chosen for a filming of Airport 24/7 - Miami?

Best just to make nice with the GAs and see what they can/will do for you. They can work wonders when they want to. I got rerouted from DFW-MIA-LIM-SCL to a direct DFW-SCL (in F!) when they had a MX on the DFW-MIA flight. Just proof ANYTHING can happen.

Good luck.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Of course AA will say it's someone else's fault, especially since there is no way for you to prove otherwise. Where did the flight originate? May very well be customs working a possible drug issue. Or maybe your flight was chosen for a filming of Airport 24/7 - Miami?

Best just to make nice with the GAs and see what they can/will do for you. They can work wonders when they want to. I got rerouted from DFW-MIA-LIM-SCL to a direct DFW-SCL (in F!) when they had a MX on the DFW-MIA flight. Just proof ANYTHING can happen.

Good luck.

How long ago was that? It has been quite a while since AA last offered 3-class service to SCL. More than 10 years IIRC.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ESpen36
How long ago was that? It has been quite a while since AA last offered 3-class service to SCL. More than 10 years IIRC.
It might have been J... It was a few years ago. But I was in the front of the plane so I'm good with that. Especially since I was only upgraded to LIM using an SWU (LIM-SCL was not AA metal).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.