Individual or family account

Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Individual or family account

Guys

I have two people in my family who are accumulating miles the traditional route by flying about 1-2 times a year international. It's a slow pace which will get them a free flight every 3 years or so

Does it make sense to join their accounts into a family account or let them continue individually? I know just know of one pro that it's easier to manage and a free flight becomes available sooner - any cons?

Thanks
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
Are you talking about a BA family account? I don't believe AA offers such a thing. The closest AA has is the business extraa account, but that's more of an add-on rather than an either-or proposition.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:54 am
Original Poster

yes on AA
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
You can't combine accounts with AA. Doesn't matter the relationship. No combining.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:08 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by sam007
Does it make sense to join their accounts into a family account or let them continue individually? I know just know of one pro that it's easier to manage and a free flight becomes available sooner - any cons?
Only one con - service not available!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
BAEC offers family accounts; AA does not.

(Hilton used to offer "Mutual fund Accounts"; fortunately, existing ones continue being HHonored. The pro with this is both members have status gained from the combined account activity - I am doubtful AA sees something like this - e.g. granting me and Lady JDiver EXP based on my activity - as desirable.)
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Can you imagine the divorce proceedings?

Mr GettingDivorcedFF gets to keep 50% of the 401k, relinquishes 20% of equity in the house in exchange for getting the LT PLT on AA.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by upinsmoke
Can you imagine the divorce proceedings?

Mr GettingDivorcedFF gets to keep 50% of the 401k, relinquishes 20% of equity in the house in exchange for getting the LT PLT on AA.
I've read posts in the past of spouse demanding FF account benefits as it is. I've even heard of spousal privileges to family passes also being "negotiated" after a split.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:54 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
Originally Posted by sam007
Guys

I have two people in my family who are accumulating miles the traditional route by flying about 1-2 times a year international. It's a slow pace which will get them a free flight every 3 years or so

Thanks
if you want 2 tickets & the folks always travel together, it doesn't matter...

they can get 1 award ticket w/a 1way from each acct & buy one...w/o out waiting for 2 awards.....may also be easier to get 1 for their desired dates...
Old Nov 9, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I've read posts in the past of spouse demanding FF account benefits as it is. I've even heard of spousal privileges to family passes also being "negotiated" after a split.
Typically the argument is that if the spouse flew for work, frequent flyer miles were part of his compensation, and are therefore community property in states that recognize that regime.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:25 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
ps....teach them to churn cc's...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.