Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unrefitted 738 / 737 pre-Oasis, non-MAX MCE / Main Cabin + Extra Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Boeing 737-800, type 738D
(configured 16F, 144Y, including 30 MCE - including Exit rows). Current seats seem to be Zodiac 5751 slimline seats.

All aircraft have been converted to the type 738K Oasis/Kodiak configuration

Archived content
Under “Project Oasis” this type will ultimately be refitted to 737 MAX 8 “Project Oasis” standards, with 170 seats: 16 F / J seats with reduced pitch and recline, and 156 ultra-slimline Rockwell Collins (previously B/E Aerospace) Meridian seats with 30” pitch in Main Cabin, 33”pitch in Main Cabin Extra and ultra-slimline lavs, onboard served WiFi IFE (no seatback) IFE, etc.

All 738s delivered prior to 10 Dec 2013 are equipped with center ceiling mounted drop down screens;

738s delivered on or after 10 Dec 2013 currently have seat-back AVOD and 110 VAC plus USB seat power. The IFE will ultimately be replaced by WiFi served IFE.

Link to AA fleet list - 737-800 configuration information by registration ("tail") numbers.

738s (until modified to 7M8 standards) are laid out:

First / Business rows 3-6 (no rows 1 or 2)

Economy from rows 7-30; MCE from rows 7-9, and MCE exit rows 14 and 15. Row 15 has full recline.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Unrefitted 738 / 737 pre-Oasis, non-MAX MCE / Main Cabin + Extra Seats

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by HNL
Rows 16 and 17 are regular leg room seats.
That's what I thought. Thanks for the quick response.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

European Business Class on AA 738 (Rows 16-17)

So I just took a flight on a 738, for which the ExpertFlyer seat map looked similar to this. Note the missing center seats in rows 16 and 17, the two rows behind the exit rows. (Also note that these seats show as merely "unavailable" on AA.com.

I wasn't really sure what to make of it in advance, I figured the seats were just blocked for some reason. In reality they were blocked, but they were physically blocked by a tray table fit in between the two center armrests. Very similar to what one might find in Business class on a European airline (if they even do the trays anymore).

Any idea what this is about? I looked at a few other 738 flights that don't show this configuration. But it was showing on my outbound, and it's showing on my return as well.

For me, this is a tough call vs. an exit row, as shoulder width is probably slightly more important for me than legroom. If I didn't need to work on a laptop (near impossible in regular coach), I'd probably choose an empty middle over an exit row.

And in a separate matter, has anyone else noticed that the center exit row seats are slightly wider than the aisle seats? These are the ones with fixed armrests with tray tables inside. It looked this way as I was standing up waiting to deplane, and I triple-counted the triangle patterns between the armrest on the seat upholstery and could swear the middle seat was an inch or two wider. These aisle seats are quite narrow.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
So I just took a flight on a 738, for which the ExpertFlyer seat map looked similar to this. Note the missing center seats in rows 16 and 17, the two rows behind the exit rows. (Also note that these seats show as merely "unavailable" on AA.com.

I wasn't really sure what to make of it in advance, I figured the seats were just blocked for some reason. In reality they were blocked, but they were physically blocked by a tray table fit in between the two center armrests. Very similar to what one might find in Business class on a European airline (if they even do the trays anymore).

Any idea what this is about? I looked at a few other 738 flights that don't show this configuration. But it was showing on my outbound, and it's showing on my return as well.

For me, this is a tough call vs. an exit row, as shoulder width is probably slightly more important for me than legroom. If I didn't need to work on a laptop (near impossible in regular coach), I'd probably choose an empty middle over an exit row.

And in a separate matter, has anyone else noticed that the center exit row seats are slightly wider than the aisle seats? These are the ones with fixed armrests with tray tables inside. It looked this way as I was standing up waiting to deplane, and I triple-counted the triangle patterns between the armrest on the seat upholstery and could swear the middle seat was an inch or two wider. These aisle seats are quite narrow.
I noticed this too on EF just today, but wasn't sure what to make of it.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:32 pm

Programs: AAExP(3MM), HHDiamond, Priority Club Plat, Hyatt Plat, United Mileage Plus
I think I read this has something to do with keeping capacity to 150 souls so that they would only need 3 flight attendants (50 per attendant max as mandated by FAA). I believe the seats are blocked on line so they are not sold, and blocked physically to appease regulators.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<redacted>

by blocking the four seats, the capacity of the plane is exactly 150, requiring just three FAs instead of four.

Last edited by Microwave; Dec 19, 2012 at 6:47 am Reason: Removed circular link post merge
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:57 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
And now we've merged the recent thread with the existing discussion on the blocked seats on the 737. Thanks! /Moderator
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
I noticed this too on EF just today, but wasn't sure what to make of it.
I have a flight on a 738 with the same MCE showing on EF. I have no status and am flying on a award ticket. I don't fly AA very often so I am not clear on the availability of these seats.

Are the seats in row 17 available for me to purchase? (I'm assuming that is what the $ sign means on the seat chart). If so, when? Do I have to wait until 24 hours prior to my flight to purchase, if still showing available?

My wife and I are currently in aisle seats 22C & 22D.

Excuse my ignorance, but please enlighten me.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by zutmin
Are the seats in row 17 available for me to purchase? (I'm assuming that is what the $ sign means on the seat chart). If so, when? Do I have to wait until 24 hours prior to my flight to purchase, if still showing available?
At the risk of sounding rude, the only way to find out whether AA will sell you these seats is to go on to aa.com, look up your booking, and see whether you can select the seats on the seat selection page. If there's a price associated with selecting them, you can buy them--if they aren't available, no dice this time. Good luck!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Microwave
At the risk of sounding rude, the only way to find out whether AA will sell you these seats is to go on to aa.com, look up your booking, and see whether you can select the seats on the seat selection page. If there's a price associated with selecting them, you can buy them--if they aren't available, no dice this time. Good luck!
Thank you for the reply. I don't see them being available for purchase at this time. I thought I had read somewhere that folks were being offered these seats for purchase when checking in at 24 hours prior to their flight. Maybe I am mistaken.

It's only a 90 minute flight, so I am not too concerned about it. At least we are sitting in FC on the first and last legs (3.5 hours each) of our trip

Thanks again
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by zutmin
I don't see them being available for purchase at this time. I thought I had read somewhere that folks were being offered these seats for purchase when checking in at 24 hours prior to their flight. Maybe I am mistaken.
My father and his partner were able to choose them on all four flights on an upcoming SEA-DFW-BZE return, so they may be available if they haven't been taken already. His flights aren't until January so it's definitely not a matter of waiting for the 24 hour mark. Sounds to me as if they have either already been taken on your upcoming flights, or they are being held back only for elites. Good luck!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Does anyone have a clear picture of this table? I saw one previously in another thread (or maybe earlier in this thread but am looking for something more recent). Wondering if the "tray table" in the middle seat is sturdy enough to plop little tylerdurden onto during an upcoming flight.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JY1024:19884369
And now we've merged the recent thread with the existing discussion on the blocked seats on the 737. Thanks! /Moderator
D'oh! Tried searching on row 16/17 in titles...

The 50 pax per FA occurred to me at the time but there were 4 FAs on the flight and I thought the 738 was too big to get down to this threshold anyway (neglecting to consider MCE). I guess this gives them the flexibility going forward, if the FAA approves. IIRC the seats were marked blocked for elites and not available for purchase, though of course many other "standard" seats were as well.

Also, To my knowledge, there was no MCE on this bird, at least not based on the AA.com seat map.

1 FA in F for 16 pax during meal service is poor. I know AA used to do this but that's why I preferred CO back in the day. But at today's prices, I guess we can't complain.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Also, To my knowledge, there was no MCE on this bird, at least not based on the AA.com seat map.

1 FA in F for 16 pax during meal service is poor. I know AA used to do this but that's why I preferred CO back in the day. But at today's prices, I guess we can't complain.
All aircraft that have these four seats blocked have MCE fitted, though it looks like AA's site hasn't been updated to reflect that.

Also, AFAIK the FAA haven't yet signed off on this modification qualifying the aircraft to be worked by 3 FAs, so until that happens AA will continue to staff with 4.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
I have some upcoming flights on 738s. If I confirm that 16-17 middle's are non-existent (that's how AA shows them in their reservation system when I talk with an EXP line agent), what rows will have greater seat pitch (like exit rows have vs. regular rows)? I think it's not possible to tell on aa.com (with their use of Preferred or Preferred Plus, etc.) - I just want to know if I can't snag an exit row, and my priority is maximum pitch, what rows are my alternative equals? Thx
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo
I have some upcoming flights on 738s. If I confirm that 16-17 middle's are non-existent (that's how AA shows them in their reservation system when I talk with an EXP line agent), what rows will have greater seat pitch (like exit rows have vs. regular rows)? I think it's not possible to tell on aa.com (with their use of Preferred or Preferred Plus, etc.) - I just want to know if I can't snag an exit row, and my priority is maximum pitch, what rows are my alternative equals? Thx
According to this thread, rows 8-13

MCE seats thread

Post 187

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.