Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unrefitted 738 / 737 pre-Oasis, non-MAX MCE / Main Cabin + Extra Seats

Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Boeing 737-800, type 738D
(configured 16F, 144Y, including 30 MCE - including Exit rows). Current seats seem to be Zodiac 5751 slimline seats.

All aircraft have been converted to the type 738K Oasis/Kodiak configuration

Archived content
Under Project Oasis this type will ultimately be refitted to 737 MAX 8 Project Oasis standards, with 170 seats: 16 F / J seats with reduced pitch and recline, and 156 ultra-slimline Rockwell Collins (previously B/E Aerospace) Meridian seats with 30 pitch in Main Cabin, 33pitch in Main Cabin Extra and ultra-slimline lavs, onboard served WiFi IFE (no seatback) IFE, etc.

All 738s delivered prior to 10 Dec 2013 are equipped with center ceiling mounted drop down screens;

738s delivered on or after 10 Dec 2013 currently have seat-back AVOD and 110 VAC plus USB seat power. The IFE will ultimately be replaced by WiFi served IFE.

Link to AA fleet list - 737-800 configuration information by registration ("tail") numbers.

738s (until modified to 7M8 standards) are laid out:

First / Business rows 3-6 (no rows 1 or 2)

Economy from rows 7-30; MCE from rows 7-9, and MCE exit rows 14 and 15. Row 15 has full recline.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Unrefitted 738 / 737 pre-Oasis, non-MAX MCE / Main Cabin + Extra Seats

Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
No, since I'm guessing this is only temporary. If AA wanted to permanently remove extra seats they'd have been better off removing two rows of Y and adding an additional row of F and making one additional row of Y MCE.
That might not be possible because there's only so much space ahead of the exit rows, which can't move.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
If it's only four seats, AA's most flexible way of dealing with this is to use the seat blocking trays. They can easily remove the dividers and add an FA on higher revenue flights if they wish to.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Upgraded!
No, since I'm guessing this is only temporary. If AA wanted to permanently remove extra seats they'd have been better off removing two rows of Y and adding an additional row of F and making one additional row of Y MCE.
Agreed. During the MRTC era, there were 20 F seats and a mere four rows ahead of the exits - those seats featured legroom that rivaled the exit rows. Plus closets behind the fifth row of F. Remove two more rows of economy, add one row of F for a seat count of 20F/126Y (total of 146).

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
That might not be possible because there's only so much space ahead of the exit rows, which can't move.
It's possible but it results in lotsa space for the resulting four rows of MCE; perhaps they could be labeled MCE+++.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Agreed. During the MRTC era, there were 20 F seats and a mere four rows ahead of the exits - those seats featured legroom that rivaled the exit rows. Plus closets behind the fifth row of F. Remove two more rows of economy, add one row of F for a seat count of 20F/126Y (total of 146).

If AA weren't almost certain that this was temporary, I would imagine they'd have done just that, particularly in the era where virtually any domestic F r/t (other than JFK-LAX/SFO) can be had for under $1k. They wouldn't have dropped the prices like that if they expected to sell fewer F seats.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by will2288
Yup. Here is a screen shot of that flight from ExpertFlyer. Should make it fairly easy to know which seats to pick. Although until MCE is fleet-wide, it could always change.

[IMG]
If "X" marks the seats made unavailable, then I am confused. Why do this for non-middle seats?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
If "X" marks the seats made unavailable, then I am confused. Why do this for non-middle seats?
X seats are usually reserved for gate control, they can be released or unreleased. However, they still count as available seats on the plane. With a seat map as it is, the seats are treated as nonexistant.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.8MM AC; UA Silver; Hyatt Globalist; Honors Diamond; Bonvoy LT TTM
New Y Row for EXPs?

I was chatting with a GA in MIA yesterday, and she was telling me that there are several 738s that have row 17 and 18 (or close to those rows) with a table installed in the middle seat (similar to how European carriers create business class seating out of standard economy seats). She told me they are blocked to give be given to EXPs in Economy. I found it odd that I haven't seen any reports about these on FT. Has anyone seen or experienced such seating? Maybe it's something they're testing vs. an official product.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There was a thread here about a week ago with pictures. Lots more shoulder room and very tight legroom. Really too bad that AA chose not to block four MCE seats - I'd pay $$ for more legroom and more width.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
It was discussed here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...dle-seats.html

First we've heard of it being EXP-only, I believe, though.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
that would be awesome! Now that AA is going to have tons of EXP's we do deserve something better
Old Nov 9, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Those seats have nothing to do with accommodating EXPs. Don't let it fool you. It's Americans way of saving money to avoid paying for an extra flight attendant. One for every 50 pax. By eliminating a few seats they now can fly with one less FA.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:05 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
That's right. It's not a jackpot folks.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
That's right. It's not a jackpot folks.
Maybe not, but it is a windfall. I don't understand why AA's underlying intent should affect our enjoyment of these seats.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Science Goy
Maybe not, but it is a windfall. I don't understand why AA's underlying intent should affect our enjoyment of these seats.
Indeed, major major plus for this. I don't care what AA's motivation for doing this is, I'm happy to take it.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by stupidzbu
I asked why they did that, and she said that they removed one row and blocked off those 4 seats to decrease the capacity from 250 to 240 because by law you need one FA per 50 PACs or something like that, and removing those 10 allows them to remove one crew member, so the other 3 do slightly more work.
Originally Posted by BStrauss3
1 per 50, so they reduced capacity to below 150 (not 250). FAA regulations.
FAA regulations are based on the # of SEATS on the plane - not vacant seats. Simply leaving seats empty doesn't impact the required # of FAs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.