Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unrefitted 738 / 737 pre-Oasis, non-MAX MCE / Main Cabin + Extra Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Boeing 737-800, type 738D
(configured 16F, 144Y, including 30 MCE - including Exit rows). Current seats seem to be Zodiac 5751 slimline seats.

All aircraft have been converted to the type 738K Oasis/Kodiak configuration

Archived content
Under “Project Oasis” this type will ultimately be refitted to 737 MAX 8 “Project Oasis” standards, with 170 seats: 16 F / J seats with reduced pitch and recline, and 156 ultra-slimline Rockwell Collins (previously B/E Aerospace) Meridian seats with 30” pitch in Main Cabin, 33”pitch in Main Cabin Extra and ultra-slimline lavs, onboard served WiFi IFE (no seatback) IFE, etc.

All 738s delivered prior to 10 Dec 2013 are equipped with center ceiling mounted drop down screens;

738s delivered on or after 10 Dec 2013 currently have seat-back AVOD and 110 VAC plus USB seat power. The IFE will ultimately be replaced by WiFi served IFE.

Link to AA fleet list - 737-800 configuration information by registration ("tail") numbers.

738s (until modified to 7M8 standards) are laid out:

First / Business rows 3-6 (no rows 1 or 2)

Economy from rows 7-30; MCE from rows 7-9, and MCE exit rows 14 and 15. Row 15 has full recline.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Unrefitted 738 / 737 pre-Oasis, non-MAX MCE / Main Cabin + Extra Seats

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA: EXP Hilton: Gold, SPG: Gold, Hyatt: Plat
Checked in at T-24 and half the seats are still blocked.
Will I have to wait until the gate for assignment?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:30 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Debonaire
Others have reported similar observations. I think the best guess is that they've blocked MCE rows in case there's an equipment swap to one of the new planes that have fewer MCE rows, in which case MCE could be oversold.
I guess that could be it. NOV 2 LGA-MIA, every 738 flight has significant number of MCE seats blocked.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
So on the new config, only the middle seats in row 17 (not 16) are blocked, right?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by SethLevy
So on the new config, only the middle seats in row 17 (not 16) are blocked, right?
The current config has 4 blocked middle seats (row 16 & 17.) There are no blocked middle seats in the new config.

Last edited by Djokison; Nov 1, 2014 at 8:48 am
Old Nov 2, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / 1MM; AA EXP; SPG Plat
Sorry folks - the middle seats in 16 and 17 are going, going, .... Just back from two 737 flights ... DFW to LAX ... no blocked seats ... my very pleasant 17F turned into very unpleasant one thanks to a perfectly nice, but very wide-shouldered gent in the middle seat that once was so wonderfully blocked. On the plane I dumped my 17A seat for LAX to DCA and was glad I did -- those are "unblocked" as well ...

To be clear, they are probably still "blocking" them all and then just assigning them at the gate if the plastic trays have actually been removed ... so I would now, sadly, advise you to treat 16 and 17 like any other less-room-through-coach seats.

Sigh.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by FlyingProf
Sorry folks - the middle seats in 16 and 17 are going, going, .... Just back from two 737 flights ... DFW to LAX ... no blocked seats ... my very pleasant 17F turned into very unpleasant one thanks to a perfectly nice, but very wide-shouldered gent in the middle seat that once was so wonderfully blocked. On the plane I dumped my 17A seat for LAX to DCA and was glad I did -- those are "unblocked" as well ...

To be clear, they are probably still "blocking" them all and then just assigning them at the gate if the plastic trays have actually been removed ... so I would now, sadly, advise you to treat 16 and 17 like any other less-room-through-coach seats.

Sigh.
Thanks for the heads up! I had been relying on the seat map.

Any Intel on how much legroom is available in row 7, the new bulkhead?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Well, making them middles in 16 and 17 available again relieves me of one decision... I no longer have to decide on MCE (and hope for an empty middle) or row 16/17 where the middlewas guaranteed to be open. Of course I did see someone once have an "emotional comfort" dog on one of them once. I was happy I was in 16D and the dog was in 17B instead of 16E
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyingProf

Sigh.
If the Y cabin starts at row 8, then rows 16 and 17 have the middle seats blocked. If it starts at row 7, then it's the new MCE configuration and the middle seats will not be blocked.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by upinsmoke
If the Y cabin starts at row 8, then rows 16 and 17 have the middle seats blocked. If it starts at row 7, then it's the new MCE configuration and the middle seats will not be blocked.
But you wouldn't know this in advance.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
AA 737 Seating Question

I bought preferred seats on my upcoming AA flight from ORD-LGA. I selected 13D (aisle) for myself and 13E (middle) for my companion. They are the row before the exit. The exit rows are being sold as main cabin extra. Does that mean that row 13 is also main cabin extra or just that they want to jack up prices for exits.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Djokison
But you wouldn't know this in advance.
When you go to select seats for your flight, look at the seatmap. Is the first row number 7, or number 8?

The old config with the blocked seats in rows 16 and 17 doesn't have a row 7 in the seatmap.

The new one does.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Flew the 738 with new slim seats y'day.... no row 7 but I swear leg room seems less in row 15. This has nothing to do with damned entertainment box. OTOH, bulkhead row seems to have more legroom.

Seat cushion is thinner and back feels like cardboard.

Got tons of pics. Will post soon.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by upinsmoke
When you go to select seats for your flight, look at the seatmap. Is the first row number 7, or number 8?

The old config with the blocked seats in rows 16 and 17 doesn't have a row 7 in the seatmap.

The new one does.
Again, you wouldn't know it in advance, because it's not guaranteed. You can get either config, regardless of what the seatmap has been showing for the prior couple of months.
For example: Today's AA977 showed first row as 8 (with MCE 10-13 blocked for obvious reasons) and it flew out with a new config 738 that started at row 7.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by lax555
Checked in at T-24 and half the seats are still blocked.
Will I have to wait until the gate for assignment?
AA blocks the seats in the rows being downgraded from Main Cabin Extra to Preferred Seats (10 thru 13) until 7 hours before departure when the actual aircraft configuration will be known. This avoids selling MCE seats that will no longer exist.

On the new configuration, which rows have no window?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Djokison
Again, you wouldn't know it in advance, because it's not guaranteed. You can get either config, regardless of what the seatmap has been showing for the prior couple of months.
For example: Today's AA977 showed first row as 8 (with MCE 10-13 blocked for obvious reasons) and it flew out with a new config 738 that started at row 7.
That's strange. All my upcoming trips show either the old seatmap without 10-13 blocked, or the new seatmap.

I don't have any upcoming 738 flight that shows old seatmap with MCE 10-13 blocked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.