Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unrefitted 738 / 737 pre-Oasis, non-MAX MCE / Main Cabin + Extra Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Boeing 737-800, type 738D
(configured 16F, 144Y, including 30 MCE - including Exit rows). Current seats seem to be Zodiac 5751 slimline seats.

All aircraft have been converted to the type 738K Oasis/Kodiak configuration

Archived content
Under “Project Oasis” this type will ultimately be refitted to 737 MAX 8 “Project Oasis” standards, with 170 seats: 16 F / J seats with reduced pitch and recline, and 156 ultra-slimline Rockwell Collins (previously B/E Aerospace) Meridian seats with 30” pitch in Main Cabin, 33”pitch in Main Cabin Extra and ultra-slimline lavs, onboard served WiFi IFE (no seatback) IFE, etc.

All 738s delivered prior to 10 Dec 2013 are equipped with center ceiling mounted drop down screens;

738s delivered on or after 10 Dec 2013 currently have seat-back AVOD and 110 VAC plus USB seat power. The IFE will ultimately be replaced by WiFi served IFE.

Link to AA fleet list - 737-800 configuration information by registration ("tail") numbers.

738s (until modified to 7M8 standards) are laid out:

First / Business rows 3-6 (no rows 1 or 2)

Economy from rows 7-30; MCE from rows 7-9, and MCE exit rows 14 and 15. Row 15 has full recline.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Unrefitted 738 / 737 pre-Oasis, non-MAX MCE / Main Cabin + Extra Seats

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by persistentflyer
Is this seat a good seat? Is it cramped because of the exit door? It's in the first exit row which I purchased for the extra leg room (very tall).

...I noticed on both my departing and returning flight, the 2nd exit row is already taken but seats in the first exit row (row 14) are available. Are both exit rows equal in leg room on this aircraft? I purchased exit row seat 14F on both my departing and returning flight.
Usually, exit rows have considerably more legroom, though many have a limited recline.

We've merged these threads (as suggested by members) for ease of information access and uniformity.

Thanks, and welcome to FlyerTalk!

/Moderator
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by persistentflyer
Is this seat a good seat? Is it cramped because of the exit door? It's in the first exit row which I purchased for the extra leg room (very tall).

...I noticed on both my departing and returning flight, the 2nd exit row is already taken but seats in the first exit row (row 14) are available. Are both exit rows equal in leg room on this aircraft? I purchased exit row seat 14F on both my departing and returning flight.
I have sat in row 14 before. It has great legroom - almost as much as first class. The seat in front (row 13) has limited recline due to the exit so no one will recline into your already generous space. The only downside is limited recline due the exit behind.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by austin_res
I have sat in row 14 before. It has great legroom - almost as much as first class. The seat in front (row 13) has limited recline due to the exit so no one will recline into your already generous space. The only downside is limited recline due the exit behind.
Row 14 is great, but row 15 is the one to be in on the 738.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
First time on AA in years though been preferred with US for several so I guess we're on the same team now. The misses and I are going to BOS to OGG in the fall on AA. The first leg is on the 737-8. We're in row 11 MCE. I'm a bit confused with the new BSI. Have all the 737's been retrofitted? How do we know if we'll be on one? To confirm, there is no personal AVOD correct? Just drop down screens?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by BMWMOT
First time on AA in years though been preferred with US for several so I guess we're on the same team now. The misses and I are going to BOS to OGG in the fall on AA. The first leg is on the 737-8. We're in row 11 MCE. I'm a bit confused with the new BSI. Have all the 737's been retrofitted? How do we know if we'll be on one? To confirm, there is no personal AVOD correct? Just drop down screens?
Only some 738s have the Sky Interior. I do not know how to predict whether you will get one or not. I think the odds are less than 50% as the majority of the 738 fleet is not BSI. I was not aware that the older 738s would get a BSI retrofit.

You are correct about the entertainment.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Originally Posted by makfan
You are correct about the entertainment.
I'm a bit confused with the new BSI. Have all the 737's been retrofitted? How do we know if we'll be on one? To confirm, there is no personal AVOD correct? Just drop down screens?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-2013-a-2.html

There are about 7 738s with AVOD in the fleet now. There is a very small chance that one will be the aircraft assigned to your flight.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 12:24 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
To add to the previous replies, there are three kinds of 737s flying around, all of which have the same seat map. One is the old 737 with overhead monitors. The second is the improved BSI 737s that are essentially the same but newer and nicer looking. The third is a new 737 with personal AVOD and different seats. Unfortunately, there's no way to tell which one you're going to be on at the moment.

Last edited by SFOPhD; Mar 10, 2014 at 8:39 pm Reason: New not retrofitted
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO

There are about 7 738s with AVOD in the fleet now. There is a very small chance that one will be the aircraft assigned to your flight.
I stumbled across one yesterday from LAX to SFO - I was in 16F.

Old Mar 10, 2014, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
To add to the previous replies, there are three kinds of 737s flying around, all of which have the same seat map. One is the old 737 with overhead monitors. The second is the improved BSI 737s that are essentially the same but newer and nicer looking. The third is a retrofitted 737 with personal AVOD and different seats. Unfortunately, there's no way to tell which one you're going to be on at the moment.
The 737's with AVOD are not retrofitted, they are new builds. AA has stated that they do not plan on installing AVOD on the existing 737's. (Though of course, they could change their mind at any time.)

Originally Posted by makfan
I was not aware that the older 738s would get a BSI retrofit.
They won't be. Until recently, BSI wasn't offered as a retrofit on 737's (it is now, though). Apparently it is incredibly expensive though, as it requires some major changes, but I forget the specifics (wiring among other things.)

Last edited by Djokison; Mar 10, 2014 at 6:47 pm
Old Mar 10, 2014, 8:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by Djokison
The 737's with AVOD are not retrofitted, they are new builds. AA has stated that they do not plan on installing AVOD on the existing 737's. (Though of course, they could change their mind at any time.)
Ah, good to know. I corrected my reply.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Does middle or aisle seat get cold on row 15 (738s) as well? I was doing YYZ-LAZ on 15A this past weekend and my legs were frozen numb second half of the trip. Just wondering if thats bcos of sitting next to the door or aisle row altogethor.
Old May 22, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
The planes with the blocked middle seats in some of the rows

I tried to do a search to find that old thread about the best seats - obviously my plane number was not the keyword.

We're on a 737-800, and I have some very specific questions about those seats with the blocked center seat:

At what level is the surface that blocks the aisle and window - is it armrest level, or shoulder level? Does that middle seat ALSO have a conventional tray table which can be lowered?

We like to play cards, and I at first thought it would the perfect "table", but now I'm wondering...too high and it would not be. Maybe we should just switch to a regular exit row middle and aisle? Any advice?
Old May 22, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I tried to do a search to find that old thread about the best seats - obviously my plane number was not the keyword.

We're on a 737-800, and I have some very specific questions about those seats with the blocked center seat:

At what level is the surface that blocks the aisle and window - is it armrest level, or shoulder level? Does that middle seat ALSO have a conventional tray table which can be lowered?

We like to play cards, and I at first thought it would the perfect "table", but now I'm wondering...too high and it would not be. Maybe we should just switch to a regular exit row middle and aisle? Any advice?
On my flight, it appeared to be a regular tray but solely attached to the armrests.
Old May 22, 2014, 8:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I'll go ahead and merge this in for you. It's findable by doing an advanced search, in thread titles only, for "{737}" or "{738}" without quotes. The key is to use the squiggly brackets for shorter terms to force it to look for them.

~Moderator
Old May 22, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Thanks, Microwave.

And Sant, armrest level is good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.