Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR NOTE

● For up-to-date information on AA's inclement weather travel policy for post-Sandy and other events, see: AA Travel Alerts / Travel Notices and Policy

● For Sandy-specific information, see Hurricane Sandy East Coast - Travel Notice Exception Advisory

● AA OSO (Off Schedule Operations) desk for day of flight issues: 1-800-446-7834 (or your status or reservations line)

● To quickly check your flight: AA Gates and Times page or, as supergrandslam suggests, the AA cargo site.

● To check flight status overall, see FAA NE airports flight delay information or FlightStats Global Delays and Airport Tracker

● For additional information on NYC travel disruptions, see this thread in the NYC Forum: Hurricane Sandy - Emergency Measures and Travel Impacts (Oct 2012)

N.B. Weather is a rapidly changing event, so be sure to check sources regularly. A post-Sandy "Nor'easter" is headed to the area at this moment.

/AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL FO, AA PLT, BD *G
AA phone rep just told me that NYC airports will close at 7:00PM tonight...
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by BDA shorts
AA phone rep just told me that NYC airports will close at 7:00PM tonight...
At JFK. No sign of such news. Only scattered commuter cancellations. And the news has been to the contrary - that the airports will remain open for now. Something tells me that they heard "transit shut down" and thought that meant airports.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by sts603
At JFK. No sign of such news. Only scattered commuter cancellations. And the news has been to the contrary - that the airports will remain open for now. Something tells me that they heard "transit shut down" and thought that meant airports.
So much different at UA; both LAX-JFK today and JFK-LAX tomorrow were cancelled yesterday, and today they refunded my VISA at my request.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by weezl
So much different at UA; both LAX-JFK today and JFK-LAX tomorrow were cancelled yesterday, and today they refunded my VISA at my request.
UA was off their rocker with this one. All tonight's EWR-LHR was canceled. Here at JFK - not a single AA, DL or VS is canceled yet. And one (of the 11) BA's is canceled. Shouldn't count my chicken's before they hatch but at least the other airlines are giving their passenger's a fighting chance (which is all I'll ask for waiting to get to LHR tonight).
Old Oct 28, 2012, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
2 hrs, 10 minutes on hold already on EXP line. Anyone out there significantly longer? Wondering how long a wait I've got in store...
Old Oct 28, 2012, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MasterPlanner
2 hrs, 10 minutes on hold already on EXP line. Anyone out there significantly longer? Wondering how long a wait I've got in store...
Are you sure you are holding for the EXP line? If it doesn't accept your FF number, it will stick you in the regular queue. Even in IRROPS, I have NEVER waited more than five minutes. This is bad, so maybe 15. But 2+ hours sounds like the regular line.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Based on some spot-checking of European flights, it appears that they're planning on departing all long-haul flights out of JFK tonight, and then having them RON 2 nights at outstations for an inbound flight on 31OCT.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More spot checking. It looks like they've cancelled everything arriving or departing JFK on 29OCT and 30OCT.

Auto reaccommodation is running so before calling check your new itinerary online.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
UA was off their rocker with this one. All tonight's EWR-LHR was canceled. Here at JFK - not a single AA, DL or VS is canceled yet. And one (of the 11) BA's is canceled. Shouldn't count my chicken's before they hatch but at least the other airlines are giving their passenger's a fighting chance (which is all I'll ask for waiting to get to LHR tonight).
As far as I know, Air canada also proactively cancelled to/from northeast flights starting this morning.

I guess majority of airlines(including AA,DL) just want evacuate their airplanes from northeast,not their passengers
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by supergrandslam
As far as I know, Air canada also proactively cancelled to/from northeast flights starting this morning.

I guess majority of airlines(including AA,DL) just want evacuate their airplanes from northeast,not their passengers
Not moving passengers costs the airlines money. Obviously you have to draw the line somewhere but it would seem that UA drew it too early. And my limited experience with AC in a snowstorm shows that they are the worst offender and unreasonable "proactive" cancellations.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not moving passengers costs the airlines money. Obviously you have to draw the line somewhere but it would seem that UA drew it too early. And my limited experience with AC in a snowstorm shows that they are the worst offender and unreasonable "proactive" cancellations.
Funny to read this; typically on this board it's AA that is accused of cancelling too early (as in the last time that MSY was affected).

Maybe people are using their (limited) experience as a basis of broad, general statements? Nah, that would be the first time this happened on FT!
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hillrider
Funny to read this; typically on this board it's AA that is accused of cancelling too early (as in the last time that MSY was affected).

Maybe people are using their (limited) experience as a basis of broad, general statements? Nah, that would be the first time this happened on FT!
Ha, I generally consider AA to be a bad offender in this category as well. I don't change my assessment. But I think their approach to this storm seems, so far, to be as reasonable as one could ask for.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Are you sure you are holding for the EXP line? If it doesn't accept your FF number, it will stick you in the regular queue. Even in IRROPS, I have NEVER waited more than five minutes. This is bad, so maybe 15. But 2+ hours sounds like the regular line.
I had a 45 minute wait on the EXP line today.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL
Im at jfk terminal 8 now. Who is still here? Look for my ft tag. Mass transit is supposed to shut down at 7:30 so i got kicked out of the mastercards lounge so the attendants can get home on time.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
On Friday airlines started to advertize, change your flight plans to avoid the mess that is to come... and Saturday AM, NYC officials warned travelers unless the storm changes its current path the city will start to shut down at 7PM. I have little sympathy for anyone stuck at the airport tonight or tomorrow you have had more than 48 hours to change your plans.

FYI: The city that never sleeps is taking a nap... A LONG NAP, per the local news no flights are leaving area airports on Monday, there will be 3 -4 days of canceled flights and long delays to follow, it will be a mess, just like or worse than Irene.

Originally Posted by DevilsX
Im at jfk terminal 8 now. Who is still here? Look for my ft tag. Mass transit is supposed to shut down at 7:30 so i got kicked out of the mastercards lounge so the attendants can get home on time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.