Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Consolidated) > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Merger)
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 16, 12, 7:03 am   #1
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: LHR
Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Hertz #1 Gold, National Executive, AMEX Centurion, SPG Gold, BA UA HYATT nothing
Posts: 155
AA's first 77W spotted at Paine Field; new livery speculation

According to KPAE, American's First 77W was spotted on the flightline yesterday.

https://twitter.com/Sabian404/status.../photo/1/large

but I don't understand why the front section of the unpainted airframe is grey instead of green like all the other unpainted 77W photos.

and it doesn't look like AA's own picture on facebook from end of last month.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...89698185_n.jpg

Last edited by pineapplejet; Oct 18, 12 at 5:38 am.
pineapplejet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 12, 7:45 am   #2
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MCI
Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 294
Gosh, I sure hope not. I am not a fan of that color unless it's on a military aircraft.

Could this just be the primer of sorts for the actual paint?
Zach1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 12, 8:16 am   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NYC/BOS/MSY
Programs: AA EXP, 4MM; AGR Select+
Posts: 14,162
Let's see how many posts we can get speculating as to why it's that color. My contribution: when they went to the paint store, they forgot to pick up some of those wooden paint stirrers, so they had to stir the paint with AA coffee stirrers, which didn't really do the trick, so, not being properly stirred, the paint applied more like battleship grey than standard AA silver. Of course that's just speculation; I could be wrong.
Blumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 12, 8:44 am   #4
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tulsa, OK
Programs: AA, SW
Posts: 36
I'm betting (hoping) it's a primer waiting for the silver top coat since the 787 on Boeing's site shows a silver bird.

http://www.newairplane.com/787/whos_flying/#/AAL
OSUPoke2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 12, 8:48 am   #5
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Louisville, KY
Programs: AA, QF, DL, SPG, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Posts: 55,456
They don't use a primer on their planes (at least not the silver part) but that may be changing:

http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2012...-paint-scheme/
__________________
You cannot uphold American ideology with un-American actions. It's time for Change.
Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 12, 8:48 am   #6
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: ATL
Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUPoke2007 View Post
I'm betting (hoping) it's a primer waiting for the silver top coat since the 787 on Boeing's site shows a silver bird.

http://www.newairplane.com/787/whos_flying/#/AAL
I hope you're right. That is beautiful.
farrish11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 12, 8:51 am   #7
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: 048′24″N 17636′59″W
Programs: A3,BA,SPG.
Posts: 742
Perhaps it's skin is more composite, and they may have to paint on the shiny silver instead of polish aluminum.
deadinabsentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 12, 9:53 am   #8
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: AUS
Programs: AA EXP 1.8 MM (All BIS), Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, National Executive
Posts: 1,291
I like it, looks like a warbird. I must say, I was a fan of the AA livery for a while, but it is getting a tad bit tired. I like that dark grey. Also, now for exotic cars, you have to pay a lot extra to get a similar look.

Like: http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/10/01/bm...grey-metallic/
BMW charges some $5,000 for this paint job

Also available on Benz SLS, Lamborghini, etc.
BrianV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 12, 10:23 am   #9
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: LHR
Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Hertz #1 Gold, National Executive, AMEX Centurion, SPG Gold, BA UA HYATT nothing
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUPoke2007 View Post
I'm betting (hoping) it's a primer waiting for the silver top coat since the 787 on Boeing's site shows a silver bird.

http://www.newairplane.com/787/whos_flying/#/AAL
I'm just confused cause I've been following that site for a while waiting for AA 77W to appear. And for as long as I can remember every plane was first seen in its primer state (like this one for Philippine airline spotted yesterday http://paineairport.com/kpae5493.htm) then flown to Portland for painting then flown back to Paine looking all colorful. And those plane spotters at Paine Field are good. They don't usually miss big events like paint flight, b1, c1, customer flight, delivery, etc.

It's been about 20 days since AA's fb picture until yesterday. Could that birdie really be painted during the time? Looks like an american flag on the gray airframe. I guess this isn't final cause I'd expect a big "American" painted.
pineapplejet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 12, 10:27 am   #10
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapplejet View Post
I don't understand why the front section of the unpainted airframe is grey instead of green like all the other unpainted 77W photos.
The green is a protective coating. Underneath, the unpolished aluminum is a dull grey. In a camera phone photo taken on a cloudy day, I personally can't tell the difference between dull grey aluminum vs grey paint.
_kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 12, 11:04 am   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: LAX; AA EXP, MM; HH Gold
Posts: 29,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by _kurt View Post
The green is a protective coating. Underneath, the unpolished aluminum is a dull grey. In a camera phone photo taken on a cloudy day, I personally can't tell the difference between dull grey aluminum vs grey paint.
No way would they remove the protective green coating and then roll the plane outdoors so that the aluminum could corrode; I doubt that's bare unpolished aluminum in the photo.
FWAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 12, 11:15 am   #12
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: MSY/AEX
Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
No way would they remove the protective green coating and then roll the plane outdoors so that the aluminum could corrode; I doubt that's bare unpolished aluminum in the photo.
Bare aluminium will passivate an oxide layer whether or not it's polished... which isn't going to easily corrode.
__________________
2014: AEX BOS BWI CHS CLT DFW DLH DWH EYW HKG IAH LAS LAX LFT LGA MIA MSP MSY NRT PIT RDU RIC SAN SJC SYD TEB
oopsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 12, 11:19 am   #13
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ft Worth, TX
Programs: AA, HH
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapplejet View Post
I'm just confused cause I've been following that site for a while waiting for AA 77W to appear. And for as long as I can remember every plane was first seen in its primer state (like this one for Philippine airline spotted yesterday http://paineairport.com/kpae5493.htm) then flown to Portland for painting then flown back to Paine looking all colorful. And those plane spotters at Paine Field are good. They don't usually miss big events like paint flight, b1, c1, customer flight, delivery, etc.

It's been about 20 days since AA's fb picture until yesterday. Could that birdie really be painted during the time? Looks like an american flag on the gray airframe. I guess this isn't final cause I'd expect a big "American" painted.
Boeing does not paint all aircraft in Portland, they also paint them at Paine Field. They have been painting some 787's in Fort Worth TX.
itchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 12, 11:20 am   #14
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
I doubt that's bare unpolished aluminum in the photo.
A new photo posted on airliners.net and reposted on TB proves you are correct:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sabian404/8092938824/

It is white or light-grey paint.
_kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 12, 11:54 am   #15
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: Delta Air Lines, US Dividend Miles, Rapids Reward
Posts: 30,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUPoke2007 View Post
I'm betting (hoping) it's a primer waiting for the silver top coat since the 787 on Boeing's site shows a silver bird.

http://www.newairplane.com/787/whos_flying/#/AAL
Actually, it is older livery scheme and there will be no more old colour scheme.

I am really hope they will repaint into a brand new livery scheme.
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/scottweinbergpage?ref=hl Go to my new Facebook Page. Enjoy!
http://www.scottysair.com/
N830MH is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:05 am.