GA prioritizing sticker upgrade based on fare?

Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2.5MM National EE
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/23.0.1271.100 Mobile/10A523 Safari/8536.25)

I had a weird conversation with a GA this week. I was flying LGA-DFW on a ticket which I had booked two months prior. I was sure the ug would clear but it went to airport controll. When I got to the AC I was told I was number one on the ug list. I still thought I had a chance. When I got to the gate I saw I was moved to number three. I said to the GA "I'm courious if you knew why a few minutes ago I was number one and now it moved to number three!" He first answered "it depends on status, routes, irrops, price you paid for the ticket bla bla... That's why you were moved. I said I know about the status and time of request but what's that about price of the ticket??
He said and these were his words " Is it fair that someone who paid $1000 for his ticket not get the upgrade and if you paid $200 you should get it?" I said its not a question of fair just what are the rules? Is your fare base a criteria for your sticker upgrade clearing? He said yes!
Now, I know (I think) that's not true. I also did only pay $200 for my ticket! It seemed to me I got moved out of my spot because I got a cheap ticket.

I hope that isn't true and that isn't a precursor to what's to come...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
It isn't by price, but restricted vs unrestricted fare class, so yes, a full Y fare would beat a discounted fare in the same elite level
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2.5MM National EE
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/23.0.1271.100 Mobile/10A523 Safari/8536.25)

I never knew that.

So time of request on a discounted ticket won't trump a last minute ticket booked into Y?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:11 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs up Glad To Hear This!

Now this is a policy I Like (-:
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by hotdogs

I never knew that.

So time of request on a discounted ticket won't trump a last minute ticket booked into Y?
Correct, within the same elite level (i.e. Plt who purchases a discounted Y ticket six months ago will get trumped by a Plt who purchases a full fare Y ticket today, but the discounted Plt would still trump a full fare Gld.). Its been this way for sometime now.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Email customer relations and let us know what they say.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I would like to point out the title seems to be misleading.
The compute prioritizes the upgrades.
If the GA is doing something, that would be an issue.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:52 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by umaa83
Correct, within the same elite level (i.e. Plt who purchases a discounted Y ticket six months ago will get trumped by a Plt who purchases a full fare Y ticket today, but the discounted Plt would still trump a full fare Gld.). Its been this way for sometime now.
Right. If anyone is doing any prioritization other than Y/B on top, then this is either

a) Wrong
b) New

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.