Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Consolidated) > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Merger)
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 18, 13, 4:15 pm   #631
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Southern California/Los Angeles
Programs: AA EXP Hyatt PLT Hilton GLD HA,AS,VX all at PEON level
Posts: 2,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyt View Post
Take it at face value, but one flight attendant I know LAX-JFK (LA Based) who has worked on the route 30 years (I've known him 15) is convinced that AA has abandoned the A321 on the route because of DL's 767's and so to be competitive, AA will replace the 762's with 772s . I told him I thought AA would be crazy and said I don't find that to be substantiated in fact. But he was pretty convinced and adamant he was right.
More speculation, and I hope this doesn't get deleted.....The Airbus A321 order list that I saw does not show any orders/deliveries for AA yet this year. It could be that the list hasn't been updated for some time, or it could be many things. The 777 are already 3-class, so 'maybe' they will be a stop gap until long term things are situated. Further down the road when the fleets are integrated with US, other wide body possibilities come up as well...though that's further speculation.
Robt760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 13, 8:03 pm   #632
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Diego
Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robt760 View Post
More speculation, and I hope this doesn't get deleted.....The Airbus A321 order list that I saw does not show any orders/deliveries for AA yet this year. It could be that the list hasn't been updated for some time, or it could be many things. The 777 are already 3-class, so 'maybe' they will be a stop gap until long term things are situated. Further down the road when the fleets are integrated with US, other wide body possibilities come up as well...though that's further speculation.
I think AA's 777-300s and AA's 787s have never appeared in the order lists either? Someone explained why before.
carlosdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 13, 8:04 pm   #633
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, TK EC, Amex PLT, SPG PLT, Marriott Gold, National Exec, DL HM
Posts: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosdca View Post
I think AA's 777-300s and AA's 787s have never appeared in the order lists either? Someone explained why before.
It was I believe due to needing approval from the pilot unions for work rules relating to the aircraft. Please note people, I said "I believe", not "I'm certain" .
__________________
My pictures on Instagram My Flight Memory Next destinations ABQ, PVG, JNB, CPT, JFK, LIS, OPO
TheBOSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 13, 10:46 am   #634
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: LAX; AA EXP, MM; HH Gold
Posts: 28,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyt View Post
Take it at face value, but one flight attendant I know LAX-JFK (LA Based) who has worked on the route 30 years (I've known him 15) is convinced that AA has abandoned the A321 on the route because of DL's 767's and so to be competitive, AA will replace the 762's with 772s . I told him I thought AA would be crazy and said I don't find that to be substantiated in fact. But he was pretty convinced and adamant he was right.
Nobody would be happier than yours truly if this actually came to pass, but I don't think there's any truth to it. When AA placed 772s on DFW-CDG/FRA/MAD for this summer, that confirmed that the gains from seasonal European traffic were probably more lucrative than up-gauging the LAX transcons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robt760 View Post
More speculation, and I hope this doesn't get deleted.....The Airbus A321 order list that I saw does not show any orders/deliveries for AA yet this year. It could be that the list hasn't been updated for some time, or it could be many things. The 777 are already 3-class, so 'maybe' they will be a stop gap until long term things are situated. Further down the road when the fleets are integrated with US, other wide body possibilities come up as well...though that's further speculation.
I'm not certain what "order list" you're talking about, but the Excel spreadsheet on the Airbus site shows that AA ordered 130 members of the A321 family on January 23, 2013 (I believe that's the date that AA and Airbus agreed on the modified purchase order that was approved by the court shortly thereafter).

AA has repeatedly listed on its 2013 fleet plan (included in each quarterly earnings report) that it anticipates having five A321s flying in the fouth quarter of 2013, along with 15 A319s. From other press releases and announcements, it is clear that the A321Ts will be delivered prior to the A321S non-transcon models (they begin delivery in mid-to-late 2014).

Additionally, the fleet plan shows planned retirements of three additional 762s in the fourth quarter, which will leave AA with just nine operating 762s by 12/31/13.

IIRC, the Airbus order didn't show up on the Airbus website in 2011 as AA and Airbus were still finalizing the terms when AA filed its Ch 11 petition, and thus AA wasn't on the hook before it filed for bankruptcy protection. Makes sense that Airbus wouldn't show the AA order for 130 as firm orders prior to AA signing the agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosdca View Post
I think AA's 777-300s and AA's 787s have never appeared in the order lists either? Someone explained why before.
The 77Ws are shown on the Boeing website as pending orders and have been for several months. The 787s showed up early this year when the bankruptcy court approved AA's plane and engine orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBOSman View Post
It was I believe due to needing approval from the pilot unions for work rules relating to the aircraft. Please note people, I said "I believe", not "I'm certain" .
Close - AA's purchase agreement for the 787s (signed in 2008) gave AA a unilateral right to cancel the order if it did not reach a satisfactory pilot contract. Accordingly, from AA's perspective, it had a firm order for 787s. Boeing had no right to cancel, so AA could hold Boeing to its obligations.

From Boeing's perspective, it could not publicly claim that it had a firm order from AA (when your customer has a unilateral right to cancel the order, you probably shouldn't disclose the order to your investors).
FWAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 13, 10:57 am   #635
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP | SPG PLT
Posts: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
Nobody would be happier than yours truly if this actually came to pass, but I don't think there's any truth to it. When AA placed 772s on DFW-CDG/FRA/MAD for this summer, that confirmed that the gains from seasonal European traffic were probably more lucrative than up-gauging the LAX transcons.
Curious as to why? The new 321T's look better than the reasonably dated 772's that AA is flying right now.

I am a widebody fan, but AA did a pretty sweet job (from what I can tell) on the 321 layout.
__________________
2014 : DFW | DAL | LAX | DEN | HOU | IAH | LAS | ORD | BOS | PHX | SJC | SFO | LHR | TXL | SXF | ARN | KRN | XNA
Antarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 13, 11:59 am   #636
Moderator: American AAdvantage
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London, England
Programs: Primarily AA EXP, Hilton Gold, National Executive. Also CX Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, AS & BA.
Posts: 5,454
Alright, let's get back to the topic at hand: AA's A321s that will be configured for transcon service. That doesn't include things like other aircraft types/orders, international flights, etc.

~Moderator
Microwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 13, 12:54 pm   #637
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: LAX/OXR/BUR/YYZ/YKF/BUF
Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Omni Platinum, Hertz 5*, NEXUS and GE
Posts: 3,908
After years of getting their butts kicked by UA on transcons, AA is really poising itself to give the same beating to UA, which has stupidly eliminated F on transcons. Its clear that UA's original p.s. service was a wild success in driving yields, and using a configuration like this should really make a difference.
__________________
So mad about WEDONTCARE infiltrating United's customer relations department that I created a signature.
N1120A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 13, 10:07 pm   #638
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DL: Silver; AA: EXPLAT; SPG: PLAT; HY: DIA; HH: GLD; MR: GLD
Posts: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1120A View Post
Its clear that UA's original p.s. service was a wild success in driving yields, and using a configuration like this should really make a difference.
Then why was it eliminated?
LINDEGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 13, 7:25 am   #639
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1KMM, AA Plat, SPG Plat75, Hertz 5*
Posts: 13,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINDEGR View Post
Then why was it eliminated?
Because the New UA is majority PMCO leadership, and PMCO didn't do 3 cabin. 3 cabin F is for Over-Entitled flyers
UA-NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 13, 7:34 am   #640
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SJC/SFO & ORD
Programs: AA Platinum(1.032MM current method/1.174MM old method)/BA Executive Club/Alaska Airlines MP/Marriott
Posts: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1120A View Post
After years of getting their butts kicked by UA on transcons, AA is really poising itself to give the same beating to UA, which has stupidly eliminated F on transcons. Its clear that UA's original p.s. service was a wild success in driving yields, and using a configuration like this should really make a difference.
"Getting their butts kicked" in what sense?
Jacobin777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 13, 7:42 am   #641
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: AA SPG Amex
Posts: 4,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillrider View Post
And don't forget that about 40% of AA's domestic network is served by commuter airplanes!
I'd still care about being in F on a CR7. Aside from no forward lav and reduced head room in the cabin I would think (haven't flown one since they became two-class) that the experience would be pretty good, particularly if flying solo in a single seat. Definitely looks more pleasant than J on a BA 320.
Upgraded! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 13, 10:18 am   #642
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Valley of the Sun
Programs: DL Silver, AA PLT, US CP, SPG PLT, IHG PLT, Marriott Silver, National Executive Elite
Posts: 5,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgraded! View Post
I'd still care about being in F on a CR7. Aside from no forward lav and reduced head room in the cabin I would think (haven't flown one since they became two-class) that the experience would be pretty good, particularly if flying solo in a single seat. Definitely looks more pleasant than J on a BA 320.


The FC on RJ's are nice, and yes, if solo, the single seat is nice, makes it a much better experience then before.
FlightNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 13, 11:06 am   #643
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Because the New UA is majority PMCO leadership, and PMCO didn't do 3 cabin. 3 cabin F is for Over-Entitled flyers

... and also for airline employees. They don't call it Employee Class on UA for nothing!
Globehopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 13, 11:09 am   #644
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgraded! View Post
I'd still care about being in F on a CR7. Aside from no forward lav and reduced head room in the cabin I would think (haven't flown one since they became two-class) that the experience would be pretty good, particularly if flying solo in a single seat. Definitely looks more pleasant than J on a BA 320.
I've had some good F class flights on a CR7.

My main complaint with flying RJs is the need to gate check baggage instead of being able to carry onboard.

This adds extra time upon arrival and when making a tight connection, it can reduce the amount of time available.
Globehopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 13, 6:58 pm   #645
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm (but not acknowledged), SPG PLT, Marriott Elite PLT
Posts: 1,643
The AA Facebook page carried a picture of a new aircraft with a "what aircraft am I? I'm going to be flying JFK LAX and JFK SFO soon". While the aircraft won't be placed into service until January, does anyone know if AA has taken delivery of any of the craft?
george 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:37 am.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.