FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   New Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card Benefits (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1331464-new-citi-platinum-select-aadvantage-visa-signature-card-benefits.html)

longhorn11 Apr 1, 2012 6:55 pm

New Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card Benefits

Looks like they are now trying to compete with the United Explorer and Delta cards. Here are the revised benefits: <link>

First checked bag free

For benefit to apply, at the time of booking, Citi® / AAdvantage® account must have been open at least 7 days and reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number. This benefit is valid for travel booked and ticketed on or after April 2, 2012. If your credit card account is closed for any reason, this benefit will be cancelled. Eligible Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmembers may check one bag free of charge when traveling on American Airlines, American Eagle or the AmericanConnection® carrier to select domestic destinations. Up to four customers traveling with the eligible primary credit cardmember will also get their first checked bag free of charge if they are listed in the same reservation. Waiver does not apply to overweight or oversized bags. This benefit cannot be combined with any existing AAdvantage® elite program benefits, including any waiver of baggage charges. Please see AA.com for baggage weight and size restrictions. Additional terms, conditions and restrictions may apply. Applicable terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.

Priority Boarding

For benefit to apply, at the time of booking, Citi® / AAdvantage® account must have been open at least 7 days and reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number. If your credit card account is closed for any reason, these benefits will be cancelled. This benefit is valid for travel booked and ticketed on or after April 2, 2012. Eligible Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmembers will have priority boarding privileges when traveling on American Airlines, American Eagle or the AmericanConnection® carrier operated and marketed flights. Priority boarding group will only be printed on the boarding pass of the eligible Citi® / AAdvantage® primary credit cardmember. Up to four customers traveling with and listed in the same reservation as the
Citi® / AAdvantage® primary credit cardmember are eligible for priority boarding. These benefits will not be available for travel on codeshare flights booked with an AA flight number but operated by another airline. Applicable terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.

$100 American Airlines Flight Discount

Earn a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount when you spend $30,000 or more in purchases on your
Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card during your cardmembership year (each 12 month period prior to your anniversary date) and your account remains open for at least 45 days after your anniversary. The Flight Discount expires one year from date of issue. The Flight Discount is redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or the AmericanConnection® carrier for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. The Flight Discount is also redeemable for air travel on any oneworld® partner or American Airlines codeshare flight. The Flight Discount is redeemable online at www.aa.com. The Flight Discount is redeemable only toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle or the AmericanConnection® carrier. The Flight Discount may not be used for flight products and/or services that are sold separately or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines. If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Flight Discount, the difference must be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card, or with American Airlines Gift Cards. If travel booked with the Flight Discount is cancelled or changed by the cardmember, the Flight Discount will be forfeited and the cardmember will be responsible for any applicable fare difference and the applicable change fee. The Flight Discount will not be replaced for any reason. The Flight Discount is non-refundable, may not be sold and has no cash redemption value. If the $30,000 purchase requirement was met during your cardmembership year and your account remains open for at least 45 days after your anniversary, please allow 8-12 weeks for the Flight Discount delivery.

Earn 10% Back on Your Redeemed American Airlines AAdvantage® Miles

For benefit to apply, your Citi® / AAdvantage® account must be open and active at the time of redemption. The American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles you earn through this benefit will be based on 10% of the total AAdvantage® miles you redeem each month during the calendar year. The maximum number of AAdvantage® bonus miles you can earn annually from this benefit is 10,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles per calendar year, regardless of how many AAdvantage® miles you redeem in that calendar year. This benefit only applies to AAdvantage® miles redeemed from the primary cardmember’s AAdvantage® account. Discover all the ways to redeem AAdvantage® miles at www.aa.com/redeem. Please allow 6-8 weeks after your redemption for the American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles to post to the primary cardmember’s AAdvantage® account.

25% savings on in-flight purchases

Citi® / AAdvantage cardmembers will receive a 25% savings on in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and headsets on flights operated by American Airlines when purchased with their Citi® / AAdvantage® card. Savings do not apply to any other in-flight purchases, such as wireless internet access, SkyMallTM and DutyFree. Offer is available on eligible flights as long as supplies last. Savings will appear as a statement credit 6–8 weeks after the transaction is posted to the cardmember's credit card account. Additional terms, conditions and restrictions may apply. Applicable terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.

jspector Apr 1, 2012 7:16 pm

Very interesting. The site says those benefits are for people who apply only under current offer... so seems that those of us who got in at 75K sign-up bonuses will not see our cards changed.

I just redeemed ~100K miles and would love to get ~10K back if these benefits get added to existing accounts.

Still doesn't change my plan to cancel both of my AA cards before the fees come due, but definitely a step in the right direction for these cards. If only they didn't have to compete for spend with my sapphire preferred, which has beaten out every other card in my wallet.

mia Apr 1, 2012 7:18 pm

Moderator action

Moved to AA forum which is primary discussion venue for all Aadvantage topics including credit card benefits.

longhorn11 Apr 1, 2012 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 18316507)
Moved to AA forum which is primary discussion venue for all Aadvantage topics including credit card benefits.

Thanks mia, after I posted it in credit card programs I regretted that I did not post it here. :)

Also I noticed on Citi's website the Select Amex version is no longer showing up. Only the Visa and MasterCard options.

oldpenny16 Apr 1, 2012 7:35 pm

Allow me a really basic question please. Will these new benefits work on my current AA CitiBank Master Card that I've had for years and years? Also what about my AA Citibank American Express card that is only several years old.

If so, I'm happy as I don't want another card.

Thanks.

longhorn11 Apr 1, 2012 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by oldpenny16 (Post 18316580)
Allow me a really basic question please. Will these new benefits work on my current AA CitiBank Master Card that I've had for years and years? Also what about my AA Citibank American Express card that is only several years old.

If so, I'm happy as I don't want another card.

Thanks.

I think that's the million dollar question. There was a member that posted in the 50k thread in miles buzz that had a CSR mention the mileage rebate. That's what led me to research what he/she was talking about and I stumbled upon this.

Although, this does show up in the T&Cs: This Citi® / AAdvantage® card offer is valid only for new Citi® / AAdvantage® accounts applied for pursuant to this offer and excludes any other Citi® / AAdvantage® credit cards offered.

Bttc Apr 1, 2012 7:52 pm

Sigh. I literally applied 2 weeks ago under the old offer. I have the worst timing.

anabolism Apr 1, 2012 8:11 pm

I applied and was approved recently for both a Citi AA Visa and a Citi AA AmEx, using the 50k bonus after $3k spend offer. After activating the cards, I asked the rep which bonuses applied to the cards, and was surprised that, in addition to the ones I was aware of, I also get the 10% miles back (and the first free checked bag and priority boarding, meaningless as EXP) as well as the $100 AA discount per year in which I spend $30k (if I'm going to spend $30k I'd rather do it on the HHonors or SPG AmEx and get elite status).

So, it seems I have most of the benefits of the new card on both of my newly-opened Citi AA cards, in addition to the 50k for $3k spend and $100 statement credit after first AA purchase and double miles on AA purchases in the first year. The rep didn't say anything about the 25% discount on in-flight purchases.

On one of my cards, the rep said I also had a benefit she had not heard of, "some sort of certificate with a lot of acronyms" (she put me on hold to ask a supervisor what this was, but I accidentally hung up when I tried to put the call on speaker).

anabolism Apr 1, 2012 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Bttc (Post 18316655)
Sigh. I literally applied 2 weeks ago under the old offer. I have the worst timing.

You might get the new benefits anyway (just happened to me).

FLYERIL Apr 1, 2012 9:55 pm

I can't find these new benefits listed on AA's website. Where did you locate this?

_kurt Apr 1, 2012 9:55 pm

Here's the really interesting part:

Priority boarding group will only be printed on the boarding pass of the eligible Citi® / AAdvantage® primary credit cardmember. Up to four customers traveling with and listed in the same reservation as the
Citi® / AAdvantage® primary credit cardmember are eligible for priority boarding.
Up until now, priority boarding for companions has been an unpublished benefit. Now it's published (at least for Citi cardholders) with a limit of four guests.

Edit: Clarified that the card includes priority boarding but not full priority aaccess

trinity_in_texas Apr 1, 2012 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by FLYERIL (Post 18317122)
I can't find these new benefits listed on AA's website. Where did you locate this?

https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-...ignature-card/

ashill Apr 2, 2012 1:00 am

Originally Posted by _kurt (Post 18317123)
Up until now, priority aaccess for companions has been an unpublished benefit. Now it's published (at least for Citi cardholders) with a limit of four guests.

Note that the offer says nothing about priority aaccess (which includes priority check-in and security in addition to boarding); it says priority boarding only.

I agree that it's interesting to see it published. In the past (on any airline), I've always just handed a stack of boarding passes (always just two) with the one that says "priority" on top and never had any trouble. This seems to say that you can only do that for four companions, though I seriously doubt that a gate agent would bother to object for a family of six.

_kurt Apr 2, 2012 6:32 am

Originally Posted by oldpenny16 (Post 18316580)
Will these new benefits work on my current AA CitiBank Master Card that I've had for years and years?

I asked this via secure message, including whether my fee would rise to match the $95 in the current offer. Here is Citi's cryptic answer:

We understand that your account may not be the right one for you. That is why we offer a wide variety of products. Please call us to discuss these products and the terms associated with them. At this time your Annual Membership fee is $85.00 per year.
In other words, no. Unless they saw the words "annual fee" and just slapped in the boilerplate response to a different question.

ORDMD80 Apr 2, 2012 7:38 am

Just posted on the AAdvantage Facebook page (bolding is mine):

Introducing the new Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® card with free first checked bag, priority boarding, and more! Learn more at http://bit.ly/GCLGmD

Cardmembers that currently have the Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature, Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard, Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World Elite MasterCard and Citi® Select® / AAdvantage® American Express will start enjoying these new benefits today!